What's new

Corned Beef 2019

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I use a inch or so of liquid total Owen, as the cb will loose quite a bit of liquid as it cooks.
If your foil is tight the steambath does the work. I often have a crowd so I use the roasting pan for 20 lbs raw which will cook down considerably. An oven proof pot as Doak mentioned is just as easy for a lesser amount.
Great, thanks for the info. Since delis always use steam racks, then it makes sense for me to do the same.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
First day will be Ruebens, but I ordered some of this for the next day, as well as their stadium mustard for hot dogs. Never had this one before. The stadium mustard is what they used at Cleveland Indians games. When I went to games in the 80s, they played in old Muni stadium, which seated about 90k people. On a good day, the Indians might have drawn 5k. It was fun, though.

6BC59759-263E-4A61-BAF1-64B7ED4CD236.png

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
First day will be Ruebens, but I ordered some of this for the next day, as well as their stadium mustard for hot dogs. Never had this one before. The stadium mustard is what they used at Cleveland Indians games. When I went to games in the 80s, they played in old Muni stadium, which seated about 90k people. On a good day, the Indians might have drawn 5k. It was fun, though.

View attachment 960877
To make this right you'll need to run down and get you of those meat slicer machines you see in the deli. I'll take mine sliced at 1.5.

I'm on the hunt for a slicer, but it may have to wait til later in the year. Even slices of bacon are difficult with just a knife! And I'm making some dried beef, too, and that needs to be consistently paper thin.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This just in from the Department of Better Late than Never: I finally managed to get a brisket in the brine a few hours ago.

20190310_151729.jpg

I have about 5.5 lbs of flat going, I kept the point and the fat for making sausage, either hot dogs or kosher beef links. Don't know when that will be as I suddenly have a family get together this evening.....

I suspect once its brined and fully cured any additional days in the brine would be harmless. In a well known deli in NY they simply hold them in the brine barrels until they need them or have them smoked into pastrami.

I suspect once its brined and fully cured any additional days in the brine would be harmless. In a well known deli in NY they simply hold them in the brine barrels until they need them or have them smoked into pastrami.
Do you know if they use saltpeter or Instacure in their brine? Wondering what the deli's use.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I was told the recipe was top secret!
Perhaps it does not really matter as all the various salts and cures get you to where you need to be.

If the meat is bright pink, it contains nitrites, otherwise it's gray/brown. Most likely it does, especially if it's going to be smoked.

I use a inch or so of liquid total Owen, as the cb will loose quite a bit of liquid as it cooks.
If your foil is tight the steambath does the work. I often have a crowd so I use the roasting pan for 20 lbs raw which will cook down considerably. An oven proof pot as Doak mentioned is just as easy for a lesser amount.
What kind of beer? A dark like a Guiness or a natty light or an IPA? I think I'd rule out an IPA, maybe too overpowering.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom