What's new

Steer-Dovan Passaround

This will be a thread solely dedicated to the upcoming Tony Miller Steer-Dovan pass around which can be referenced in this thread: Steer-Dovan Strop by Tony Miller

As agreed @Jnatcat will be shipping me the strop following his use and I will then ship it to the next B&B member after my use. If you are interested in participating please add you name to the list. If anyone has suggestions on how this should go please post your comments.

Here is the way the current list stands:
1. @NPV
2. @paintflinger

Please PUT ME ON THE LIST! Thanks guys and yes, I have shaved with a straight a couple of times... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Major thing to pay attention to, when shipping, is how the leather is placed in the box. Not sure what kind of box this is shipping in, but the stropping surface should never be rolled inwards.

It has been brought to my attention this should have been included in the original post:

"To be put on the list, please already have at least one straight razor and at least 20 successful shaves with it, and at least 50 posts, and a CONUS mail address. Put "Put Me On The List" prominently in your post."

"Put Me On The List" prominently in your post." :)

I'm at a half century shaves, mostly successful- still breathing at least.

I was kidding about getting on the list but it may be interesting when it has sort of run out of steam to have it back to see how it faired over many users and techniques. I would appreciate feedback as each guy uses it. Not sure if this is the thread for it or not as I don't want it to become to "advertisey" but whatever flies with the mods is fine with me, public or private feedback is welcome as it helps me improve my products.
Every pass around I've seen and participated in people comment on the item(s) being passed. I don't see why this one would be different. If you have questions about a comment, wanting more detail perhaps, that might should go via PM.

So I got the strop from @Jnatcat and have been using it a bit the last two days. Initial impressions are I really like the speed and weight of the draw. I also pick up a bit of grainyness under certain blades, mostly lighter full hollows. One peculiar thing is the wedges I have actually have a heavier draw than the lighter blades especially when the leather is warmed up.

So far I really like this strop and the backside is also nice if you like a heavier draw on leather for wedges.

So I got the strop from @Jnatcat and have been using it a bit the last two days. Initial impressions are I really like the speed and weight of the draw. I also pick up a bit of grainyness under certain blades, mostly lighter full hollows. One peculiar thing is the wedges I have actually have a heavier draw than the lighter blades especially when the leather is warmed up.

So far I really like this strop and the backside is also nice if you like a heavier draw on leather for wedges.

This sounds nice, thanks for the report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be a great time for you guys that have no seen Tony’s work to jump in, his craftsmanship is top notch along with his attention to detail, plus you get that chance to try a new leather

The build quality of this strop is outstanding as it is on all of my TM strops. I’ve found that heating up the leather with a few rubs increases the draw a bit. I’ve found myself going back to the Steer-Dovan even with my steerhide next to it. I’m really enjoying it, the wrinkles have not worsened at all or affected stropping or my razors in any way.

The leather is very supple which seems to allow it to conform to the blade even easier. Which in turn means keeping the spine in contact throughout the stroke is very easy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom