What's new

My Brush Making Journey

Question answered before I could ask it.
What CA finish are you guys using.
Dose it go on better than others. I find I have to do several layers and quite a bit of sanding to get a good result with Stick Fast medium CA. I'd like to find something a little easier to work with.
I have been using a combination of the thin and medium CA "wood finish" that @Graydog was describing. Mostly thin though. I have only used the medium in some instances.

Question answered before I could ask it.
What CA finish are you guys using.
Dose it go on better than others. I find I have to do several layers and quite a bit of sanding to get a good result with Stick Fast medium CA. I'd like to find something a little easier to work with.
Stick Fast 240 CA Wood Finish, 4.6 oz Capacity, Thin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087CNOFG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8ceICb0B92JNW
Stick Fast CA Finish Medium 4 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087CNOJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KdeICbGCMSFYP
Rockler Cyanoacrylate Quick-Set Flexible Adhesive, 2 oz Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I9UNYU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eeeICbMD5VFZK

I haven't used the flexible yet.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
These are from September 2016 The first picture and then Dec.2016 and then there is the "Bucket" full of almost
IMG_6031.JPG
IMG_6913.JPG
IMG_6886.JPG
20170425_145826.jpg
Bucket.jpg

I have always used the Stick Fast Thin and for me it works better than the medium , @Hyloworks told me about a
Stick Fast 240 CA Wood Finish, 4.6 oz Capacity, Thin and another one called Flexible. I purchased the one for wood and that is what I am trying on that Box Elder handle for the first time

Thanks for the info. I will check that out. And I guess I don't need to answer weather I want to see some of your early work. But OF COURSE.

Thanks @Lightcs1776 and @Hyloworks I really enjoy seeing everyones work also. The brush making and restorations forums is one of my favorite places on the web.

Thanks for the info. I will check that out. And I guess I don't need to answer weather I want to see some of your early work. But OF COURSE.

Thanks @Lightcs1776 and @Hyloworks I really enjoy seeing everyones work also. The brush making and restorations forums is one of my favorite places on the web.
Did you get the amazon links to the glue?

Brush #7 24mm Silvertip Maggard Knot with Wenge handle. This wenge had a lot of light colored flecks in it, at least more than I'm used to. Most of the the light spots are just that and not polish. My wife thought it was polish at first.
20190318_204801.jpg
20190318_204843.jpg
20190318_205230.jpg

Very nice. Looks like glass, good job on the finish. That is beautiful wood, I haven't worked with wenge. How is it to work with?

Very nice. Looks like glass, good job on the finish. That is beautiful wood, I haven't worked with wenge. How is it to work with?
It is a little tough to work with. It's heavy and dense. It will chip out if you don't keep your tools sharp, I sharpened them a couple of times during this session. Overall it's not bad to work with, I definitely recommend wearing respiratory protection. I was slightly sensitive to this woods dust. One last note, it is porous so plan accordingly to get it filled in before finishing or make sure to do a lot of thin coats at first to get them filled up.

I actually prefer the wooden handles not to have as thick of a finish, but this wood was so porous that I had to build it up like that.

It is a little tough to work with. It's heavy and dense. It will chip out if you don't keep your tools sharp, I sharpened them a couple of times during this session. Overall it's not bad to work with, I definitely recommend wearing respiratory protection. I was slightly sensitive to this woods dust. One last note, it is porous so plan accordingly to get it filled in before finishing or make sure to do a lot of thin coats at first to get them filled up.

I actually prefer the wooden handles not to have as thick of a finish, but this wood was so porous that I had to build it up like that.

I tend to prefer for wood to feel like wood and usually like oiled finish or very thin finish, however on a brush handle I can appreciate the desire to have a thicker glassy finish that should protect the wood for years to come. A lot of people soak brushes for a while before use so I want to get good at the thicker glassy finish for long term piece of mind.

Brush #8 Sapele handle 24mm Maggard Boar knot. I went a little smaller and a little more simple with this one. Trying to perfect this finishing thing.
20190327_184932.jpg
20190327_184720.jpg

Top Bottom