What's new

Steve/Graydog is a bad man

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
A package came in the mail on Friday from @Graydog/Steve. I had expected it to contain 2 brushes made from his famous "fallen backyard maple" tree:
- a Smoggy Doggie (Semogue 1305 type handle), and
- a Beagle (Simpson Eagle type handle)

Alas, Steve, being the sneaky craftsman that he is, had other plans.
He sent me five(!!) brushes
upload_2019-3-10_14-42-53.png

I shall post pics and continue this dastardly tale later on. Right now some brushes are soaking since yesterday in water in my cold room.

Last edited:
custom (3).jpg
CustomBoars.jpg
custom2.jpg
It was young though. Hadn't had time to grow hair yet. :)

It was young though. Hadn't had time to grow hair yet. :)

Congratulations! So he sent you, a handle for every size. You now have a bowl lathering badger, a bowl latherting boar and a face lathering boar. Complete set! :a14: Beautiful brushes, from a very skilled and generous persosn. :a50:

Congratulations! So he sent you, a handle for every size. You now have a bowl lathering badger, a bowl latherting boar and a face lathering boar. Complete set! :a14: Beautiful brushes, from a very skilled and generous persosn. :a50:
The badger was just for the photo. But both boars seem to be face latherers to me. :)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
After soaking the boars (and mixed mighty midget) for 2 days, the boar tips are splitting already.

full

From L-R (with my take on handle types):
Maple 1305 w/Omega Mixed Mighty Midget
Maple Eagle w/Omega S-knot
Maple 1470 w/Omega boar
Maple Harvard w/Omega boar
Maple w/horse
and
my original Graydog horse, "the viper"

I have already used the new horse twice. It had a *ahem* "nice" scent that overpowered my P.160 the first time I used it, but after soaking for a few hours in a liquid hand soap + water solution, the water came out tinged brown (oils from the hair perhaps?) and no more disturbing scent. It was a great shave with it the second time around, loosing a few hairs but to me, that can be expected with this horse knot based on my existing wonderful "viper" brush.

I have also once used the Eagle S-knot brush, which @Graydog and I have collectively dubbed "Beagle S-knot," aka "Beagle snot." Not sure how I feel about this knot. It is better than any other synth I have used, but feels very different than what I get from a badger, boar, or horse.

The other brushes will enter usage starting tomorrow.

My plan is that I will hold on to 2 of these wonderful brushes, perhaps 3 at most, and pass the others onto fellow members so that they can share in the joy of Steve's work that several of us can already attest to.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The Viper 2.jpg
The Viper.jpg
I always Liked "The Viper" ,Here She is as a Baby,Tuesday, ‎May ‎02, ‎2017, ‏‎6:49:32 PM :)
The Viper 2.jpg
The Viper.jpg

Well, usually long handles are bad for face lathering, but at the end, this depends on the user. If you can use it fine, that's what matters.
Ahh, OK. I thought you meant something about the knots. I can see how longer handles are good for bowl lathering. They're good for loading from mugs too. I guess that is where I got used to using longer handles for face lathering. Loading hard soaps from mugs.

Ahh, OK. I thought you meant something about the knots. I can see how longer handles are good for bowl lathering. They're good for loading from mugs too. I guess that is where I got used to using longer handles for face lathering. Loading hard soaps from mugs.

Shorter lofts are ususally preferred for facelathering, but several people face lather with tall lofted brushes, so that's a matter of personal habbit or preference. So, yes, i was referring to the handle. You 're right, they 're better both for bowl lathering and for loading from a mug. A short lofted and short handled brush for example, will be banging around the walls of a deep mug or a deep bowl, if you try to bowl lather. With a long handle, you don't have this problem, plus, when you whip the lather in the bowl, the long handle tires your hand less, compared to a short handle.

Top Bottom