What's new

Straight Razor: What do you suggest to buy?

For $79.95 a new, shave ready Wapienica from Griffith Shaving is a good idea. I bought one about a month or two back. No issues at all.
Good steel in the blade...stainless medical grade scales. Only reason I won’t keep mine is that a 5/8 blade is just a tad too small for me.

I would look for something in the buy sell trade on this site .Gold Dollars usually need a little work and honing before they are shave ready .A Vintage blade in the 5/8 to 6/8 range would be a good start .

You’re going to get the best and safest deal here on the BST. European shipping (although a pain) can be accomplished and not sickly expensive. Take a good look around over on the BST site. Many treasures to be had.
Unless you REALLY know your way around the rodeo, avoid eBay. Enough said on that.
As mentioned earlier, Ralf Aust is a hands down winner if you are looking for a new, EU purchased razor. I have a few and each is a true joy.
Koraat in Austria is a magnificent razor...spendy though.
Revisor gets a lot of good press. I have no first hand experience with them.

ACE, how do you do international shipping cheaply. Was just looking at the USPS (which I thought was the cheapest option) and it's quite expensive.

Thanks. How diifcult is it to hone a blade yourself with the right stones?

Easy as falling off a log using 3M films.

From my experience here, many or most will invest hundreds of dollars in stones with no method. They will mess up a bunch of Gold Dollars and get frustrated. What's amazing is that a method is often mentioned and films are readily available for $30 that will successfully sharpen old used and abused razors to make them shave ready.

Just try to get a stone advocate to produce a method in plain English that anyone can follow to produce a shave ready edge in less than 90 minutes. Although I have repeatedly asked, it's yet to occur. I think the reason is because there is no consensus. So many ways to skin a cat.

Later, when you have experience in lapping films, that's the time to invest in a stone progression when you know what you are doing. I have a yellow coticule and a Thuringian that I use after the 3 micron film sheet.

In the end, it's your choice.

Easy as falling off a log using 3M films.

From my experience here, many or most will invest hundreds of dollars in stones with no method. They will mess up a bunch of Gold Dollars and get frustrated. What's amazing is that a method is often mentioned and films are readily available for $30 that will successfully sharpen old used and abused razors to make them shave ready.

Just try to get a stone advocate to produce a method in plain English that anyone can follow to produce a shave ready edge in less than 90 minutes. Although I have repeatedly asked, it's yet to occur. I think the reason is because there is no consensus. So many ways to skin a cat.

Later, when you have experience in lapping films, that's the time to invest in a stone progression when you know what you are doing. I have a yellow coticule and a Thuringian that I use after the 3 micron film sheet.

In the end, it's your choice.

Yes, films simplify things, but trying to hone a warped razor or one with abonormal features can be quite confusing for someone that hasn't honed. Understanding when the bevel is set is not as simple as go hone on 30/15 micron film.

Yes, films simplify things, but trying to hone a warped razor or one with abonormal features can be quite confusing for someone that hasn't honed. Understanding when the bevel is set is not as simple as go hone on 30/15 micron film.
It's been simple for me on a dozen razors. First off, don't buy warped razors. Don't buy from flippers. Look at estate sales where the seller is not a razor dealer. Look for razors sourced by American companies.

It's been simple for me on a dozen razors. First off, don't buy warped razors. Don't buy from flippers. Look at estate sales where the seller is not a razor dealer. Look for razors sourced by American companies.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I believe the OP is in Europe and trying to buy them online at a lower price. No way to definitively say that the razor won't show up with wonky geometry.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I believe the OP is in Europe and trying to buy them online at a lower price. No way to definitively say that the razor won't show up with wonky geometry.

Well, if you take you time and study the razor you are considering, you can tell if the razor is not correct. If there is anyone concern, I don't bid. Many time it appears people make impulse buys on wide blades that have been shortened to that someone has attempted to spruce up.

Just to reiterate what everyone is saying, I also just started into the wonderful world of straights! The absolute best place to purchase is another member on here, you m is you’ll get quality and true “shave ready” razors !!! Check BST even back 12 pages !! There are still a lot of great and affordable razors on a budget in there !!! I’m soooo glad I didn’t just jump in . And if all else fails try a shavette first maybe. Then you don’t have strop costs. Just a new pack of 100 blades and a shavette can he had pretty cheap and see if you really like sttaights like I did . Then sit back and ready to become addicted !! Hope that helped a bit !

Just try to get a stone advocate to produce a method in plain English that anyone can follow to produce a shave ready edge in less than 90 minutes. Although I have repeatedly asked, it's yet to occur.

When you say stone “method” in under 90, what are you asking for? Naturally occuring stones? or can it be anything non-film?

When you say stone “method” in under 90, what are you asking for? Naturally occuring stones? or can it be anything non-film?
That’s exactly what I was thinking - “The Method” is a great way to engage with honing, but it isn’t utterly reliant on lapping films - any synthetic abrasive will do the job as well as films.

Don’t get me wrong, for the beginner, there is nothing more readily approachable than lapping film and a flat tile or glass - but if you’re going to be in it for the long haul, after a dozen or so razors, plus learning curve, plus maintenance, synthetic stones are going to look competitive in price as you keep needing to replace worn films.

The exact same “Method” would apply to, for example, a set of Shapton glass stones as applies to a set of films.

Tell us how to get 30, 12, 9, 3, 1, .3, .5 equivalent in stone grits for $30 and you’ll have my attention.

Arguing economics, not for me...

few razors -> probably film, maybe coticule or type 100 with nagura
many razors --> probably film, maybe synthetics to cut bevel and polish, maybe coticule or type 100 with nagura, natural finisher
many many razors --> maybe film , probably synthetic bevel setter and mid-polisher to finishing, maybe natural finishers, natural
many many many razors -> i think we've past the point of what is economical in the many many razors category

Film is fantastic, no doubt about it. Lots of coticule bouts can be had right now around your $ constraint, maybe a bit more. All you need is one the size of ~ deck of playing cards maybe even smaller. You don't get the super fine grit, but nothing wrong with a coti edge. Want a more fine edge, type 100s with naguras will likely get you to finer edges.

progression methods with coticules or the type 100 is pretty straight forward.

thoughts?

No economics from me. The point is that films work using the micron progression to produce a shave ready edge. It is repeatable and reliable.

Now, if your interest is honing, get the stones. If your interested in shaving, start with films.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
progression methods with coticules or the type 100 is pretty straight forward.

What is a coticle or the type 100? If you're saying coticle of the type 100 what does that mean? I'm just ignorant here about this and trying to find out what you're talking about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

No economics from me. The point is that films work using the micron progression to produce a shave ready edge. It is repeatable and reliable.

Now, if your interest is honing, get the stones. If your interested in shaving, start with films.

Twelvefret, you literally posted $30 and you’ll have my attention. What am I missing in your comments? Both the type 100 and coticule based progressions are repeatable and reliable, especially if you have someone to walk you through the concepts of each.

Top Bottom