What's new

Razors made in India?

The only DE razors made in India that I know of are Parker razors. It will be interesting to see if there are more. We have a few members from India who could chime in on this as well.

what is about this? :biggrin:

proxy.php

The general consensus seems to be that the Parker TTO razors are rather cheaply made. The three-piece Parkers are reported to be of better quality.

Isn't the Lord brand made in India? I've got a Lord Smart razor, a 3 piece unit, that works very well and gets used often.

Gentlemen,

The only double edge razor made in India that I know of is Parker, although there may be others.

I had a Parker 60R and a Parker 90R (or was it a 91R?) and I could not wait to get rid of them. Some people like Parkers. I found them far too aggressive for me, with a rough shave no matter what blade I used.

I think I'll stick with Edwin Jagger, Muhle and Merkur.

Obelit

I think Laser/Malhotra is an Indian company with an HQ in the UK. There have to be a lot of producers for the local market but only one seems to expand to the west; Parker.
They started with IMO overpriced rattling TTO's and try cheap EJ imitations now. Not cheap enough to close the (quality) gap just as with their first TTO's. Prices are too close to the more established brands like Merkur, Mühle and EJ but the quality of their products is too far behind to make them a good deal.

You might like the way they shave but what I get from the review section is that the same model can have (too) much variation between one piece and another.

I won't burn my face with these razors!

I think Laser/Malhotra is an Indian company with an HQ in the UK. There have to be a lot of producers for the local market but only one seems to expand to the west; Parker.
They started with IMO overpriced rattling TTO's and try cheap EJ imitations now. Not cheap enough to close the (quality) gap just as with their first TTO's. Prices are too close to the more established brands like Merkur, Mühle and EJ but the quality of their products is too far behind to make them a good deal.

You might like the way they shave but what I get from the review section is that the same model can have (too) much variation between one piece and another.

I won't burn my face with these razors!

Lazer / Malhotra specializes in blades only. Parkers are an independent export only brand. They are not even sold in India.

The Gillette Sterling shown above is most commonly available. There are local cheaper 3-pieces which are nothing much to talk abou in terms of weight, balance and performance.... so there

Well in reality there are many Indian Razor manufacturers. Parker Shaving Company is one of the best known for quality razors and shaving accessories. Some popular razors are Parker 26C, Parker 91R , Parker 96R, Parker Variant Adjustable and Parker SRX and PTB of which latter two are shavettes. I have used the first 3 myself and am very happy with the performance. At present Parker Razors are mostly retailed in USA, UK and other countries. Why? - I will get into the reason in the latter part of the post.

Pearl is another brand of razors manufactured in Gujrat, these are also quality razors and available on both Amazon.in and Flipkart.com havent used them but some channels in youtube have demonstrated the shave with Pearl razors. The Open comb Pearl Razors are even compared to Fatip Open comb razors. Currently these are available online in India as well(only the closed combs and TTO)

Supermax products are also manufactured in India(may be other countries too have manufacturing units), the shaving creams are very good but no comparable DE razors. Supermax manufactures a variety of DE razor blades but the ones I could observe in retail were Supermax Stainless Economy Pack and Supermax Diamond Edge. Both of which are very good blades , latter is better.

Laser Ultra - Prominently manufactures DE Blades , retails one DE razor which is similar to Gillette 7'O Clock as shown in a post earlier in this forum. No known DE Razors in India other than this one.

Lancet - Again manufactures a DE razor similar to Gillette 7'O Clock DE razor. Manufactures blades too, would be available in wholesale Barber supply shops. I have used this razor and it is a mild shaver , blades were not so good.

Monarch Razors - Have one TTO Razor got it for INR 250 from Ebay.in - an OK kind of razor nothing special about it

Others : Then there are other razor manufacturers who manufacture DE razors, but there is no guarantee of quality, finish, or built. If you are lucky you may get a razor which supports proper blade alignment, I was not and bought one from local chemist for Rs. 40/- but of no use.

The reason why DE shaving is not popular is:
1. Scarcity of water in many places
2. Products like Gillette Guard, Mach 3 have robust distribution and you dont need to maintain that 30 degree angle because the razor pivots it for you
3. More beard trends and popularity of trimmers for the stubble look
4. Basically demand for quality DE razors is relatively low in India
5. Canned Goup is preferred more over using a brush and a Cream/Shaving Soap

however I am wet Shaver for many years and switched from multiblade cartridge to DE 3 years back, I am happy I switched. For the money I used to spent on buying the cartridges I have got a lot of variety of DE razors, blades and shaving soap/creams, aftershaves and brushes now. I enjoy my wet shave with DE peraphernalia and planning to start a Youtube channel soon.

Regards,
JQ123

I never seen this in Indian amazon. Lot of razors made here. But all are exports to Europe and USA. Parker and Pearl nice razors. But it available here (India) in different version or quality. In youtube video, every Parker razors (Variant) marked as INDIA. But I have 3 razors. No mark or letters. Pearl supplies abroad in good plastic container. In India it supplies their products in ordinary cheap paper box !! So, I stick with Edwin Jagger and Merkur.

Hi,
This is what I've been using since two weeks:
A locally made DE:
IMG_20190303_111703.jpg
IMG_20190303_111625.jpg
IMG_20190303_111620.jpg
IMG_20190303_111604.jpg

Bought from a local chemist! It works like charm!
I started with a supermax ''toy", got more annoyed!
images (2).jpeg

But this three component is a joy to work with! I love DE shaving!!!

The general consensus seems to be that the Parker TTO razors are rather cheaply made. The three-piece Parkers are reported to be of better quality.
I have a Parker 65r three piece. Excellent quality and shaves. My Parker 99r TTO was an excellent razor until my son tried to unscrew the head! Now it's hard to close but still shaves great.

My first razor when returning to wet shaving was a Parker TTO, still have it. Looks very nice, fantastic chrome finish, shaves fairly well. Quite heavy, and I still use it from time to time.

My wife has a Parker clone of a lady Gillette, also works well.

Top Bottom