What's new

My Brush Making Journey

I am moving my thread to this sub-forum. I didn't see this forum at the bottom of the page initially. It was started as "DIY shaving brush."

First attempt. 24mm silvertip from Maggard's
20190221_181750.jpg

I am currently working on another handle in Mesquite wood. I am also experimenting with finishes. I will continue to update. I just received a few more knots from Maggard's.

For perspective... the gray and black handle is the WCS tall brush and the handle height is right at about 3". I really like the shape and feel of that handle.
20190303_184855.jpg
20190303_141759.jpg

Ooh - I like the shape of that one.
And the colours.
How thick is the (wall?) of the handle at the top?
Not very thick. I would say there is around a 1/16 of an inch maybe 3/32". Basically as thin as I thought would be safe against the pressure of lathering. I tested the strength as I went. It is a really chubby handle though. For face lathering.

Last edited:
Not very thick. I would say there is around a 1/16 of an inch maybe 3/32". Basically as thin as I thought would be safe against the pressure of lathering. I tested the strength as I went.
I'd worry about it splitting just from wetting and drying cycles.

I'd worry about it splitting just from wetting and drying cycles.
Agreed, but it was a test run with a left over scrap lamination from another project and the synthetic knot was only like 7 or 8 dollars I think. The other solution is to continue making brushes until the rotation is so large that the brush wouldn't ever get to suffer that fate. I do think a solid piece would work better in this shape for longevity.

Very nice work! I love that they show the wood grain beautifully, and without too much gloss. If I can get my (future) handles to come anywhere close to your level of turning and finish I will be very happy.

Nice work. And interesting handle shapes. Alot of times I start a brush with a particular shape in mind, and end up with something completely different when I'm done.

Nice work. And interesting handle shapes. Alot of times I start a brush with a particular shape in mind, and end up with something completely different when I'm done.
I have been there. Since I a just starting out I have just been turning handles shapes that I already know I enjoy. I am a big fan of tall and fat handles. I have some ideas for future turnings.

I have been there. Since I a just starting out I have just been turning handles shapes that I already know I enjoy. I am a big fan of tall and fat handles. I have some ideas for future turnings.

Look forward to seeing more brushes in the future.
I've been playing around with some different materials.

Top Bottom