What's new

Feather blade alternatives

Hi all!

I've been using Feather blades since I started DE shaving a couple months ago. I can only get 2 comfortable shaves per blade - 1 WTG pass and 1 ATG pass.

Is there anything that matches the sharpness of the Feather with better longevity?

I've experimented with Derby blades which work quite well. I can get three comfortable shaves with these but they're not as sharp as I'd like.

I also tried Personna Platinums which felt quite harsh.

Feather is probably the sharpest blade I have tried, but not especially smooth or long-lasting IME.

Other blades that you might consider:
Nacet
GSB
Astra SP
Personna lab
Personna med

You may be best served by purchasing a blade sampler pack or two.

Indian blacks have worked well for me over the years.

proxy.php

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! I haven't heard of some of the blades recommended - so much choice!

Time to find some sample packs :001_smile

I am having good luck with Gillette Nacets. I use Feathers regularly. I usually get 5-7 comfort shaves out of all my blades. I have very average growth.

Not sure my experience helps you. But Nacets are very comfortable for me. Not sure if they will last the same for you.

Hi all!

I've been using Feather blades since I started DE shaving a couple months ago. I can only get 2 comfortable shaves per blade - 1 WTG pass and 1 ATG pass.

Is there anything that matches the sharpness of the Feather with better longevity?

I've experimented with Derby blades which work quite well. I can get three comfortable shaves with these but they're not as sharp as I'd like.

I also tried Personna Platinums which felt quite harsh.

I've been using nacet ss for the good part of 2 months and they are as good as feathers in sharpness but way better in durability.
Razor Blade Sharpness Summary with Comparison Chart » refined shave

Another great blade but its almost it is almost impossible to find outside South East Asia is the super nacet.

Cheers.

Feather is probably the sharpest blade I have tried, but not especially smooth or long-lasting IME.

Other blades that you might consider:
Nacet
GSB
Astra SP
Personna lab
Personna med

You may be best served by purchasing a blade sampler pack or two.

+1, especially on the blade sampler pack.

Thanks again for the replies. I've found a sample pack containing:
  • Astra Super Platinum
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
  • Gillette Nacet Stainless
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Perma-Sharp Super
That should keep me busy for a few months!

The German Wilkinson’s are an excellent alternative. Found them to be smoother than the Feathers with way more longevity (admittedly not as sharp).

You arent going to find anything that matches the sharpness of a Feather but theres several options out there that are almost as sharp and last longer.
I find Kais, Dorco Primes and Personna Blues to be almost as sharp as Feathers. Some people claim Astras are too (Ive never used Astras though).

Thanks again for the replies. I've found a sample pack containing:
  • Astra Super Platinum
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
  • Gillette Nacet Stainless
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Perma-Sharp Super
That should keep me busy for a few months!

Where did you find this sampler pack?

Top Bottom