What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you enjoy saving as a Hobby or utilitarian needs, some of the older SE systems like Schick E series and the GEM Micromatics -you will be very pleasantly surprised at the Quality of shave they still offer. (Alum block does not lie and my fingers tell the truth.)
Have some great shaves!

Yesterday I got the best shave ever (close and irritation-free) using TOBS, a RazoRock SLOC razor, and a Gillette Sharp Edge (third use). But I confess, it had been 48 hours since my last shave. Some guys gauge the level of irritation with alum, but I find that aftershave splash is just as telling.

Technique, technique, technique. Got some slight irritation with my Paradigm SE yesterday because I got in a rush. Geez Louise, you'd think I was smarter than that after 55 years of shaving....but noooo.

Technique, technique, technique. Got some slight irritation with my Paradigm SE yesterday because I got in a rush. Geez Louise, you'd think I was smarter than that after 55 years of shaving....but noooo.
I know that 90% of my last shaves irritation was from rushing. 10% was sloppy prep.

The Nacet is a great blade once it's broken in with a few shaves on it.
Used one yesterday in one of my Slim Adjustables set on 9 and got a stellar shave.

The last couple shaves I’ve had the first pass gave me trouble. No glide and my face felt sticky it also left a lot of hair behind. The second pass was slick as a greased pig and took care of the rest of the hair. Well my shave today I forgot to use my pre shave gel and the shave was so smooth. So I learned that I am not using the gel correctly or that it just does not work for me.

The last couple shaves I’ve had the first pass gave me trouble. No glide and my face felt sticky it also left a lot of hair behind. The second pass was slick as a greased pig and took care of the rest of the hair. Well my shave today I forgot to use my pre shave gel and the shave was so smooth. So I learned that I am not using the gel correctly or that it just does not work for me.

Good lesson!

Many like them, but I found little/no benefit from preshave oils/gels. So I just wash with a good glycerine-based soap then go to town!

Good lesson!

Many like them, but I found little/no benefit from preshave oils/gels. So I just wash with a good glycerine-based soap then go to town!

Yeah I just got the gel to give it a go. Maybe I’m using too much or I need to wet it down before I lather but my shaves without it are wonderful so I’ll probavly just forgo the gel altogether.

Stirling Executive Man and my Schick Grip (even with 40+ shaves on a Twinjector blade) will take off a 5 day beard as easily as a one day beard.. can't ask for more.

After about a year of using DE razors, I've finally gotten the hang of shaving with very light pressure. (It should have taken two or three days.) Those habits I developed using carts was deeply ingrained. And I've learned to keep going over the area I'm shaving, in any particular direction, until I no longer hear hair being removed. It's surprising how many swipes I can make over the same spot without causing irritation, as long as I use those real light strokes.

Yeah I just got the gel to give it a go. Maybe I’m using too much or I need to wet it down before I lather but my shaves without it are wonderful so I’ll probavly just forgo the gel altogether.

Farfromlukin, your dentist must have a heck of a time treating that little guy on your chin.

Ok, I'll confess: I'm Italian and I've never tried Cella soap before.

Now I just have, and... oh gosh, this stuff is great!
It scores just a little behind a Stirling, at a fraction of the price.

That I need to go more lightly still on my lower lip. One pass, and that very light, is probably what I need to do.
Today I used my fat-handled postwar Tech, loaded with a Feather blade that has about 6 shaves on it, and had a marvelous shave. This time I kept it down to one pass on cheeks, one plus cleanup on lower lip and throat.

Lesson: Trying to pursue BBS on a throat/lip with only 24 hours' beard on them is like trying to capture a prairie dog. You'll never get between it and its hole, so you might as well not exhaust yourself.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Today I got different audio feedback that helped dictate the angle held ... in other words, a different pitch of sound as the razor's angle differed while shaving. Interesting. Can go blind and still get BBS, in theory.

AA

That if I restrain myself to one pass on cheeks and two on the throat, even a 24-hour beard can be planed off without irritation -- and in fact with a good deal of comfort.

Top Bottom