What's new

Looking for good sandalwood soap

I’ll say Proraso red is my favorite sandalwood scented shave soap. It’s reasonably priced, works extremely well and lasts a minimum of 5 months of daily use (YMMV).

AOS original Sandalwood had real sandalwood oil in it. Most use sandalwood fragrance oil in them as real sandalwood is super expensive and the soaps would have to cost a lot more than they do. With that said I like Proraso Red, TOBS, Caps Choice in that order but when I want a dose of real Sandalwood I pull out my original AOS collection of soap, cream, preshave, Aftershave balm and the original Cologne.

Someone needs to make soap with real sandalwood in it again. I don’t mind paying extra for it.
You might want to pick up some Eufros Sandolo.

AOS original Sandalwood had real sandalwood oil in it. Most use sandalwood fragrance oil in them as real sandalwood is super expensive and the soaps would have to cost a lot more than they do. With that said I like Proraso Red, TOBS, Caps Choice in that order but when I want a dose of real Sandalwood I pull out my original AOS collection of soap, cream, preshave, Aftershave balm and the original Cologne.

Someone needs to make soap with real sandalwood in it again. I don’t mind paying extra for it.

AOS is having problems with suppliers.
I hope the get these issues sorted out.
Their Sandalwood was on my try list.

I love sandalwood Jim and I wish it was present in every sandalwood soap, aftershave etc etc but in reality it's probably very rare or they are using a combo of Sandalwood fragrance oil to do the bulk of the job with a token drop or two of the real thing.
:001_unsur Who is this Jim guy? :laugh:

See your text above in bold. Yep, looking at their ingredients list that would make sense. INGREDIENTS list: third line down "Parfum [Fragrance]" then the last ingredient "Santalum album [Sandalwood] Oil."
upload_2019-2-24_19-54-13.png

I know I went into a store not that long ago in NYC and took a whiff of their current offerings and it's just not the same as the original. That was in your face real sandalwood. Probably since prices have skyrocketed they may have had to switch to either Sandalwood fragrance oil or a mix of both real and synthetic is my guess.
It looks like the current AOS shaving soap has only Sandalwood fragrance, no Sandalwood oil.

AOS Sandalwood Shaving Soap
INGREDIENTS
Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Lecithin, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Titanium Dioxide (CI77981), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Iron Oxides (CI77491)

I love sandalwood Jim and I wish it was present in every sandalwood soap, aftershave etc etc but in reality it's probably very rare or they are using a combo of Sandalwood fragrance oil to do the bulk of the job with a token drop or two of the real thing. I doubt many $15 to $25 soaps made by small artisans contain any significant amount of real sandalwood.
If you the scent of Sandalwood you may probably like this product. Even I don't come across this soap often in india but I am not a big fan of scent and don't try to chase it. In fairness this is what real sandalwood smells like.
Mysore Sandal has a new soap, and it's awesome

Top Bottom