What's new

Grooming Dept club

I'm three days into using it, and it definitely improves both my shave (better razor glide) and my post-shave feel.

I would say, however, that both improvements are incremental, probably within the normal variance of my prep, soap performance, and shaving patience. (Only three days, of course). It does add 90 seconds or so to the shave time, and it does add a little expense, so I'm not totally sold on this for the rest of my life - but for right now I think it's worth using.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm three days into using it, and it definitely improves both my shave (better razor glide) and my post-shave feel.

I would say, however, that both improvements are incremental, probably within the normal variance of my prep, soap performance, and shaving patience. (Only three days, of course). It does add 90 seconds or so to the shave time, and it does add a little expense, so I'm not totally sold on this for the rest of my life - but for right now I think it's worth using.

I'm not that far along with its use, but I've determined that I'm likely to continue using it unless something better comes along. I use such a tiny amount that the container should last a very long time. What's it cost me per shave? I can't image it cost me ten cents per shave, but if it does is it worth a dime?

Yeah, it's worth a dime. To me.

I've tried other preshave products and such and none of them added anything. This stuff improves my shave and it improves my post shave skin.

Try it for a while with your best soap. Then continue with the soap but without the GD Preshave. I think that's the only way to be sure about how the stuff actually works with your kit, your skin, your whiskers, you water.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Okay enablers my prior posts referring to mythical products notwithstanding i noticed that the pre shave is in stock with free shipping. So i ordered some. Looks like there's free shipping on the site fyi

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Okay enablers my prior posts referring to mythical products notwithstanding i noticed that the pre shave is in stock with free shipping. So i ordered some. Looks like there's free shipping on the site fyi

The GD Preshave has been in stock for a long time (relatively speaking; that is, in GD time).

2-7-19.GDKit.Boots.CopperMan.640JPG.JPG

Yesterday I noticed one or two of the Duck based soaps in stock, too. I have the unscented Pekin (Duck base) and like it a lot. It performs very, very well indeed especially coupled with the Preshave.

I've been using the also in stock GD Serum post-shave. I believe it is also a winner.

What isn't in stock is a Lusso based soap like the J&C pictured. Too bad, but the Pekin really is quite great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The GD Preshave has been in stock for a long time (relatively speaking; that is, in GD time).

View attachment 950689

Yesterday I noticed one or two of the Duck based soaps in stock, too. I have the unscented Pekin (Duck base) and like it a lot. It performs very, very well indeed especially coupled with the Preshave.

I've been using the also in stock GD Serum post-shave. I believe it is also a winner.

What isn't in stock is a Lusso based soap like the J&C pictured. Too bad, but the Pekin really is quite great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Been waiting for any Lusso based soaps to appear and was fortunate enough to snag the most recent release of the Veritas soap last week. Unfortunately, there has been a hold put on it by GD as it needs a bit more time to cure. Bummer but, I think it will be worth the wait with all the great reviews the Lusso base iteration has received so far.

Looking forward to pairing it up with the preshave which I think will work amazingly well with Veritas.....

Good shaves to you, Jim.....

Congrats, it sure is nice to get free shipping! Hope you enjoy it, I'm liking my Mandarin & Cardamom preshave quite a bit.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Been waiting for any Lusso based soaps to appear and was fortunate enough to snag the most recent release of the Veritas soap last week. Unfortunately, there has been a hold put on it by GD as it needs a bit more time to cure. Bummer but, I think it will be worth the wait with all the great reviews the Lusso base iteration has received so far.

Looking forward to pairing it up with the preshave which I think will work amazingly well with Veritas.....

Good shaves to you, Jim.....

Interesting. My Veritas was shipped As I look again at the notification, maybe mine has not yet been shipped; at first it looked like it had been shipped, but now I'm not really sure. I'm in no hurry to get it and want it to be right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mallard Kulfi is fantastic. The scent lingers on my face and hands all day long. It is a very strong scent. Performance seems a little better than the other GD Mallards.
I finally used my Mallard Kulfi today following After the Fire yesterday. Both were first uses for me and I like both scents. On deck for tomorrow is Sandalwood, Fig & Musk.

I am pleased to actually find GD scents that I like. In the past, I have used GD scents that I did not particularly care for. One example is Chypre Verte which, though a really nice soap, had an artificial scent to my nose.

BTW, I really like your screen name and avatar. I wonder how many understand the reference of your screen name. Your avatar is a little more obvious and takes me back to my college days when I first saw Un Chien Andalou.

I finally used my Mallard Kulfi today following After the Fire yesterday. Both were first uses for me and I like both scents. On deck for tomorrow is Sandalwood, Fig & Musk.

I am pleased to actually find GD scents that I like. In the past, I have used GD scents that I did not particularly care for. One example is Chypre Verte which, though a really nice soap, had an artificial scent to my nose.

BTW, I really like your screen name and avatar. I wonder how many understand the reference of your screen name. Your avatar is a little more obvious and takes me back to my college days when I first saw Un Chien Andalou.

I grew up in Spain so Dali and Miro are two of my favorite artists. You are the first one to mention the reference for afeitar!!

The Kulfi really is a great soap. I think the GD scents are "love'em or hate'em" scents. The sandalwood, fig, musk was just not for me. However, I really like the Sangre de Naranja which to my nose is orange and leather. To be honest, the best part of GD soaps for me is the post shave feeling and how my faces feels afterwards. No irritation and smooth.

I have been sniffing into the tub of verbrannt i have on occasion and habe always noticed a sweet background note and i did not know what it was. today i think i figured it out. i’m pretty sure I smell bubblegum like original bazooka. Can that be right?

I've been using the unscented preshave now for a few weeks but didn't notice any big difference in slickness and comfort.

My last two shaves I decided to NOT use the preshave and I definitely noticed a lack of slickness as compared to when I used the preshave.

That being said, I do notice an improvement in performance when my soap is lathered on top of the preshave.

For anybody on the fence about whether or not this stuff works, try lathering without it for a couple of days.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been using the unscented preshave now for a few weeks but didn't notice any big difference in slickness and comfort.

My last two shaves I decided to NOT use the preshave and I definitely noticed a lack of slickness as compared to when I used the preshave.

That being said, I do notice an improvement in performance when my soap is lathered on top of the preshave.

For anybody on the fence about whether or not this stuff works, try lathering without it for a couple of days.

Good science!

For me it's not entirely about the slickness but more the overall quality of the shave and, maybe more germane, my skin.

I tend to look at slickness, and residual slickness (ghost lather) and post shave.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

I like the Serum a whole lot, too. A few drops on my face and neck. I leave my skin wet after rinsing the lather, let it air dry some while I strop my razor, and then apply the Serum to damp skin. It's a pain to get out of the bottle, but I only use roughly 5 or 6 drops (guessing on how much).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Good science!

For me it's not entirely about the slickness but more the overall quality of the shave and, maybe more germane, my skin.

I tend to look at slickness, and residual slickness (ghost lather) and post shave.

View attachment 958287

I like the Serum a whole lot, too. A few drops on my face and neck. I leave my skin wet after rinsing the lather, let it air dry some while I strop my razor, and then apply the Serum to damp skin. It's a pain to get out of the bottle, but I only use roughly 5 or 6 drops (guessing on how much).

Happy shaves,

Jim
Do you also need to apply a lotion after the serum?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I used the unscented pre-shave today, along with GD Incense & Rose. I simply rubbed a pea-sized amount around my face for 60 seconds and proceeded to face lather. It most definitely improved the quality of the lather — from the first to the third pass (squeezed from my synthetic), the lather was literally the consistency of butter. I am impressed.

I’ll try it with my vintage OS soap or Tabac and gauge any differences; but whatever it has in it, it made a great GD soap even greater. Thanks, @GlazedBoker for bringing this product to our attention.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Do you also need to apply a lotion after the serum?

Probably not, but I use moisturizer after my splash or make a balm with splash and moisturizer sometimes.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

Those are my usual products if I use any.

Sometimes, like today, I just used the Serum and nothing else.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I don't know if it changed my life but the proraso white got moved to another shelf as ive been using gd preshave for a few weeks now. Scientifically i dont know what its doing but it really helps with my neck problem areas. I have to remember to not use much a tiny but does lather up.

Top Bottom