What's new

So Thankful for B&B!

In the past couple of days I spent some time reading through a thread on another forum. Many of you may have seen it, where a soap maker was criticized harshly for everything from shipping an unready product, to his choice of artwork and labels.

The soap maker handled himself and treated others gracefully and with respect. Unfortunately, there were more than a few forum members whose posts were distasteful, malicious, filled with obscenities and worse.

When I finished my popcorn and the reading, I couldn’t help but feel appreciation for what we have here at B&B. We all don’t always agree. But we treat each other with respect. Further, the moderation team does an excellent job here of keeping it that way.

It was a real train wreck over there. So, hats off to all of my fellow B&B members and the mod team for making THIS a great place to share stories, experiences and more.

John

In the past couple of days I spent some time reading through a thread on another forum. Many of you may have seen it, where a soap maker was criticized harshly for everything from shipping an unready product, to his choice of artwork and labels.

The soap maker handled himself and treated others gracefully and with respect. Unfortunately, there were more than a few forum members whose posts were distasteful, malicious, filled with obscenities and worse.

When I finished my popcorn and the reading, I couldn’t help but feel appreciation for what we have here at B&B. We all don’t always agree. But we treat each other with respect. Further, the moderation team does an excellent job here of keeping it that way.

It was a real train wreck over there. So, hats off to all of my fellow B&B members and the mod team for making THIS a great place to share stories, experiences and more.

John
Sounds like I should count myself lucky I don't read the other shave forums I found. Would just raise my BP and upset me.

I agree wholeheartedly. Even some of the more heated discussion on this board dont get to the pettiness Ive seen elsewhere.

And if anything, all of us have one thing in common: a longing for the perfect shave.

:a14::a14::a14::a14::a14:
Yes indeed. Our B&B site is comprised of a diverse group of fine gentlemen, and our behavior
toward each other and high regard for each other is a perfect example of civility and dignity.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've not seen it. I don't bounce between multiple forums on the same topic. We certainly do have a good tone here though, and the disagreements here tend to either be gentlemanly throughout, or blow over very quickly.

John

+1! Great post!! :a14::a14:

The point is to support eachother and the vendors trying to provide excellent products!!

John
I agree wholeheartedly, I gave up on other forums years ago due to issues like that. I enjoy the camaraderie on B&B and the respect given to others even when we have disagreements.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Sounds like I should count myself lucky I don't read the other shave forums I found. Would just raise my BP and upset me.

You and me both.

I've congratulated the B&B Moderators for how they've shaped the behavior of members here before. I've been on many forums, not shaving related, and its complete chaos. Not here. The time and energy thats gone into creating the atmosphere here the Mods have, is really outstanding.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
You and me both.

I've congratulated the B&B Moderators for how they've shaped the behavior of members here before. I've been on many forums, not shaving related, and its complete chaos. Not here. The time and energy thats gone into creating the atmosphere here the Mods have, is really outstanding.
Here, here!!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I am active on some chess forums (fora? :confused1); is this what you mean by "other forum"? I can't seem to find any shaving threads there. :tongue_sm

Since this is my favorite shaving forum I spend most of my forum time here but I did happen to see that on the other forum.

What you experienced over there was a group of Reddit users that call themselves the Hate Farm. They occasionally visit the mainstream forums with the agenda of negatively impacting someone's business. They'll target makers that aren't in their "preferred vendor group" and their tactics are less than gentlemanly to say the least. You witnessed a planned attack that they carried out.

I've seen them do this before. They don't want to actually solve a problem, in fact just the opposite. I find their behavior illogical and offensive as they lash out and launch personal attacks at anyone who disagrees with them.

Many of the members here have accounts on several of the shaving forums. Where you'll find that forum differs from this one isn't so much in the character of the members but more so in how it's moderated. They tend to allow those type of conversations to go on quite a bit longer over there than they do here in hopes that members will work through the issue. Sometimes issues work themselves out and the extra latitude is nice, and other times not so much. You saw just how much it took to get banned over there. That is not the case here as the mods here do not put up with that type of behavior. That would have lasted about two minutes here before that garbage was shut down and they earned a lifetime ban.

I reminds me of how much I appreciate the mods here. They do a job most of us wouldn't want to do and they do it very well. Thank you again for the great job you guys do. Very much appreciated.

8a91a03983d546b982c7b8ad66c09acf2264399723da673436268cc59ba3f91f.jpg

I am active on some chess forums (fora? :confused1); is this what you mean by "other forum"? I can't seem to find any shaving threads there. :tongue_sm

The other day there was an “elevated” discussion taking place here @ B&B about two different types of razors. I joked that there was likely the exact same conversation going on over at the “vacuum enthusiasts forum” on their bissels vs. Dysons. Sure enough, 5 minutes later, a member posted a link to a real vacuum enthusiasts forum. Amazing what’s out there!

Since this is my favorite shaving forum I spend most of my forum time here but I did happen to see that on the other forum.

What you experienced over there was a group of Reddit users that call themselves the Hate Farm. They occasionally visit the mainstream forums with the agenda of negatively impacting someone's business. They'll target makers that aren't in their "preferred vendor group" and their tactics are less than gentlemanly to say the least. You witnessed a planned attack that they carried out.

I've seen them do this before. They don't want to actually solve a problem, in fact just the opposite. I find their behavior illogical and offensive as they lash out and launch personal attacks at anyone who disagrees with them.

Many of the members here have accounts on several of the shaving forums. Where you'll find that forum differs from this one isn't so much in the character of the members but more so in how it's moderated. They tend to allow those type of conversations to go on quite a bit longer over there than they do here in hopes that members will work through the issue. Sometimes issues work themselves out and the extra latitude is nice, and other times not so much. You saw just how much it took to get banned over there. That is not the case here as the mods here do not put up with that type of behavior. That would have lasted about two minutes here before that garbage was shut down and they earned a lifetime ban.

I reminds me of how much I appreciate the mods here. They do a job most of us wouldn't want to do and they do it very well. Thank you again for the great job you guys do. Very much appreciated.

I absolutely agree 100%! You nailed it. We all deserve a bit of latitude from the moderator team to work out our differences. For the most part I think B&B allows for that. But it helps when you’ve got a good member base. Reminds me of a small business. If the owner has good people working for him, it kind of runs itself. Ideally a forum could be the same way.

But you’re right, the moderators in the other forum allow for too much. Obscenities all over the place allowed to remain in their entirety.

Interesting about the reddit trolls. Despite my best efforts, I can’t understand how reddit actually works. I’ve read a lot about how forums are dying due to social media, YouTube, Reddit etc. But the chronological order and posting history of a forum will never die for me. It just makes sense. I’m the kind of guy who wants to see certain posts in the correct places and in the right order. I don’t want to be force fed something because a lot of people have clicked a “like” or thumbs up button. I’m talking like an old man but I’m 34.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Before joining this forum I looked at some of the other forums. I kept coming back to B & B is it just seemed to be friendly here and any thread that looked like getting out of hand was jumped on quickly by the Moderators. We all have the same shaving interest and other interests (other sub forums) and we can just about all get along even when we disagree. I have made friends all over the world and all though we may never meet in person, it is lovely meeting you all here. Great thread @johnwick

I've said from day ONE there is no place on the web like this. This place is special. Because the people make it special.
Thank you B&B for the great community.

Best run site I have ever been a member of by far. I lurked on a lot of shaving sites before joining here. I’m glad I did. I can truly say of all the other types of forums I am a member of, this is run wonderfully.

Top Bottom