What's new

Which is the best High End Razor?

Which High End Razor brand is Best?

• Total voters
That would tell me that your razor in fact "isn't" made from Aircraft Grade Aluminum like you thought it was... Now that I think about it some more and I'm thinking that that particular pic has been posted somewhere here before and there was talk about materials that Ikon said they made their products from and some testing being done to dispute their claims and such. I'll do some research to see what I can find, but from that pic of the Ikon Tech polished head tells anyone it anything but Aircraft Quality Aluminum or in fact any where near High End!! That was all I was referring to...

eta... I am editing this to add Jim's pic to show the different layers that Ikon has said is Aircraft Grade Aluminum...
proxy.php
You seem to be assuming the worst, my friend. I'd like to see more analysis. If it were to turn out the core of the razor were Zamak and vulnerable to degradation over time, I'd agree that it's not a high-end razor. But just because it's not a cast as a solid ingot of aluminum doesn't tell me enough to be willing to go there.

Since the CGL3 SB is a hit for you, I have to think the WR1 .94 SB would be as well. As I've said elsewhere, the two offer a very similar shave. In my opinion, the CGL3 is a fraction more aggressive. That much I'm quite sure of. Both are smooth as silk. Both offer great blade feel but, not having them side by side, I don't know which is more blade forward. I want to say the CG but it's a guess.

Your comments, Roy, are much appreciated. I trust you (and your face), so I likely will avoid spending more stomach lining on trying to swap my Wolfman, and simply sell it. If the CG is a fraction more aggressive, that's good enough for me (as I like aggression, as you know). I will live contentedly without a Wolfman.

Your comments, Roy, are much appreciated. I trust you (and your face), so I likely will avoid spending more stomach lining on trying to swap my Wolfman, and simply sell it. If the CG is a fraction more aggressive, that's good enough for me (as I like aggression, as you know). I will live contentedly without a Wolfman.
Given how rare the .94 is, it's hard to imagine landing one without winning the lottery better known as the Wolfman return key marathon. If I suddenly found myself face-to-face with an open Wolfman website, would be hard to resist the temptation. Don't think I'd fret about the best choice and just content myself with the WR1 .94 and work to get my order in before Brigadoon disappeared for another hundred years.

That said, with the CGL3 in hand I feel no need for said miracle. Only the knowledge that I could easily turn around and resell the Wolfman without taking a loss makes it a no-brainer.

I know you like a very efficient razor and having shaved with the CG L 3 DC a lot over the yrs I can say for sure that the WR1 .94 DC is a bit more efficient than the Level 3 Charcoal Level 3 as far as overall Shave especially when using the OC side of the WR1. I’m sure you’d see the difference if you did a side by side as I have. The WR1 is also smoother and holds the blade a lot more rigid than the CG does. They are both 2 of my top 5 modern razors but the .94 DC is only exceeded in efficiency by the Ikon Tech and the 2011 R41 as those two razors are the only 2 razors that have given me a 36 hr BBS. I’m waiting to try a .135 WR2 to see if that surpasses the .94 DC.
I’d sell your 74 and on the secondary market you could probably sell it for what fuse the money for a new either WR1.94 DC or I’d get the WR2.135
Just my 2 cents on the subject.
No worries, Frank. My sense has been that your perspective is that there's a degree of objectivity to these assessments. I agree to an extent but my sense is that my perspective includes a bit more space for subjectivity. Therefore my recollection that the SB .94 is being slightly less aggressive than the SB CGL3 doesn't surprise me or seem wrong. Just one of those YMMV things.

I've not tried the OC .94. The OC CGL3 is definitely most aggressive of the three I've tried (though still behind the Ikon Tech by a reasonably small but not subtle measure). Would love the chance to try the OC .94. If it managed to be as smooth as the SB .94, it would likely become my favorite razor. The OC CGL3 fell behind the SB version because it wasn't as smooth. That's also why the Ikon Tech is no longer at the top of my list. That razor is the one I'd call on if I'd not shaved in four days. But for a typical workday shave, the SB CGL3 lights up the experience in a way that no other razor has quite managed to accomplish.

It's worth noting that, again from my perspective, this is part art and part science. Part of what I love about my new shiny copper CGL3 is the way it looks and also its feel with that long, heavy Torpedo handle. That contributes to my experience.

I've not tried all of the Wolfman handles but neither of the two I used (the WRH1 and WRH3) were particularly appealing. You had recommended one, the WRH2, which I hope to get a chance to try at some point. Were I to have the chance to buy one, I would go with that handle based in part on your recommendation and in part on the photos I've seen and the stats as to weight and length. The WRH7 looks cool but I'm sure it would be too light for my taste.

I agree that at first look I didn’t see anything special about the RS10, beyond a great finish, but after one shave it is different for me, smooth and efficient with a Feather blade everytime.

X1000...the Raw RS-10 must be experienced...one shave and I was a believer...best razor in my den.

Paradigm should really be included. Every razor they have offered is top notch.

And as far as high end, I've used they term as well. When I say it, I mean a quality material and quality design. Not just a copied design. And the finishing and fine details that complete the razor and the users experience with it. It is true that the GameChanger is a high end razor, but it lacks some of the finishing details when comparing to others on this list. Also, this thread clearly calls out the best Brand and not the Best Razor.

I would place the RS-10 as my best razor, but overall I have to the give the brand nod to Wolfman. I would also place Charcoal Goods and Paradigm up there. It's the same with Razorock. They have a few great razors, but the overall brand isn't as high end.

Last edited:
Paradigm should really be included. Every razor they have offered is top notch.

And as far as high end, I've used they term as well. When I say it, I mean a quality material and quality design. Not just a copied design. And the finishing and fine details that complete the razor and the users experience with it. It is true that the GameChanger is a high end razor, but it lacks some of the finishing details when comparing to others on this list. Also, this thread clearly calls out the best Brand and not the Best Razor.

I would place the RS-10 as my best razor, but overall I have to the give the brand nod to Wolfman. I would also place Charcoal Goods and Paradigm up there. It's the same with Razorock. They have a few great razors, but the overall brand isn't as high end.

I agree 100% on both points...well said! Paradigm is my favorite brand, but the RS-10 is my best performing razor.

I'm thinking this thread has probably ran its course and as with anything in life, not everyone is or thinks the same as others and this topic, no matter how many times its brought up and hashed out, seems to have the same outcome and it seems to just keep going round in circles at some point like it has been the last few days. It reminds me of one of the best motto's my parents taught me growing up, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"!! The result of any of the dozen I've seem posted of these "best of" threads are all the same in my opinion...

Paradigm has come out with some great razors. The 17-4 was my smoothest/efficient best combo till I got the RS10.

Agreed 100%...the Ti2 is also nice and smooth. I do agree with you that the RS-10 edges them both out slightly in the smoothness department. Especially with a Feather blade.

I agree 100% on both points...well said! Paradigm is my favorite brand, but the RS-10 is my best performing razor.

Agree on all points. In price, fit, finish and performance, Paradigm is the equal of any of these. My RS-10 is a top-performing razor, but the Ti2 is its equal IMO.

I'm thinking this thread has probably ran its course and as with anything in life, not everyone is or thinks the same as others and this topic, no matter how many times its brought up and hashed out, seems to have the same outcome and it seems to just keep going round in circles at some point like it has been the last few days. It reminds me of one of the best motto's my parents taught me growing up, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"!! The result of any of the dozen I've seem posted of these "best of" threads are all the same in my opinion...
I'm fine with people continuing to discuss but agree that, at least on the main issue of which razors are most worthy of praise, we're not going to reach consensus. This is one of those topics where the best we can do is take an interest in each other's perspectives. Within that discussion, we learn about our similarities and differences with others.

I just started with the Timeless .95, and dig it, so it gets my vote. Of all the razors I've owned, it gives me the most efficient shave that is super smooth too. The OC plate, to me, is the smoothest and, supposedly, the most efficient. Win/win.

Also, the owners run the company very well: Great customer service and inventory.

I am sticking with it for 2019, because a few hundred dollars seems like the right number to me at this point. If the others above it are markedly better, then I am missing out, but it doesn't feel that way now. Ignorance is bliss sometimes I reckon :)

I just started with the Timeless .95, and dig it, so it gets my vote.

I had my time with the Timeless .95 OC but in the end it was too smooth, and too little blade feel. It wasn't going beyond my R41 and was around the same as my Fatip OC head on a heavier handle. If I'm going to splash out on a high end razor it has to be at least as efficient as my R41. Considering my next step - I may just stay with my R41 and various GEMs but eying up Rocca or Karve OC....

Makes sense. I like the R41 too. In fact, there is nothing close to it for the money. I may tire of the .95's ease of use and want more at some point, but we shall see.

Makes sense. I like the R41 too. In fact, there is nothing close to it for the money. I may tire of the .95's ease of use and want more at some point, but we shall see.
For $7, the Yaqi Beast is hard to beat for pure value. I prefer it to the R41. Of course YMMV.

I think of the R41 as rather expensive considering the build quality (or lack thereof). The Ikon Tech shaves much closer for me and should last pretty much forever. It was originally $70 new but now new ones are selling on auction sites for around $200 (give or take $50). Used ones go a bit lower. That places it on par with some of the high-end razors, which I think is fair given what it delivers.

Several high-end razors out perform the R41 in my book but then I'm not a fan of the R41.

Those familiar with very high end shotguns, have likely encountered the term "best". As an example, and to give perspective, if you commissioned the construction of a new James Purdey & Sons today, be prepared to open your wallet for at least $150,000. If you enjoy forums, be prepared for endless discussions on what exactly constitutes "best". What's fascinating, is they read almost exactly like this column. "My $700 LC Smith will shoot birds as good as that $85,000 Boss. Why isn't it a best?"
Thanks

Top Bottom