What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Those original GEM spines were much thicker than what we get today.

Which is why, somewhere in the 130 pages of content in the SE section, there is the recommendation to shim the blade in older GEM razors with a little slice of aluminum, such as half of a spine removed from a used blade.

I spent the last few weeks reading all the way back. Lotta good stuff in there.

O.H.

Which is why, somewhere in the 130 pages of content in the SE section, there is the recommendation to shim the blade in older GEM razors with a little slice of aluminum, such as half of a spine removed from a used blade.

O.H.

One or two used injector blades make good shims too - just make sure they've been dulled against a brick or something before you handle them.

O.H.

Woah, are you avoiding working on your tax returns, too?!?

Hey, check out the bump placement and size contrast between the MMOC and G-Bar. (Don’t be distracted by those rivet heads on the G-Bar.) Engineering!! :punk:

18179903-AB93-4826-8623-33A2ED1164FA.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Woah, are you avoiding working on your tax returns, too?!?

Heh. For that we have accountants.

Hey, check out the bump placement and size contrast between the MMOC and G-Bar. (Don’t be distracted by those rivet heads on the G-Bar.) Engineering!! :punk:
View attachment 951917

I'm working my way into a series of Gems to try. Slowly, I must say -- I usually go with each for a month. I acquired a MMCP that looks* NOS, so I need to dig it out and see what the bed looks like.

* It may not be unused, but it is in the correct box, the little cardboard "blade" is in the head, the plating is "concours" and the action is buttery-smooth. The tie-on tag is with it, but the included pack of blades has gone the way of the dodo and so have other instructions. I am amused that list price was "50 cents" when it was new...I only paid about 40 times that much!

O.H.

Heh. For that we have accountants.

I'm working my way into a series of Gems to try. Slowly, I must say -- I usually go with each for a month. I acquired a MMCP that looks* NOS, so I need to dig it out and see what the bed looks like.

* It may not be unused, but it is in the correct box, the little cardboard "blade" is in the head, the plating is "concours" and the action is buttery-smooth. The tie-on tag is with it, but the included pack of blades has gone the way of the dodo and so have other instructions. I am amused that list price was "50 cents" when it was new...I only paid about 40 times that much!

O.H.

And an excellent deal at 40x! Enjoy! My ‘definitely not NOS’ MMOC has a much smoother action than my newer Gillette TTOs, so I can only imagine how smoothly that MMCP clamps down.

My accountants are constantly demanding numbers and pieces of paper. Some of which they expect to describe ‘reality’, whatever that is. After doing systems for corporate accountants, I’m pretty sure the mathematics of imaginary numbers is the most relevant concept in tax accounting.

GEM plating - nickel on this MMBT?

9E3122E1-6C5D-4998-9FEB-C398B1600377.jpeg

No filters or anything on this photo. Bright bathroom CFL and LED lightbulbs.

The Bullet Tip at the top has a distinctly warmer plating color than the closely matching chrome of the OC and ClogPruf below. Did ASC plate some Micromatic razors in nickel?

I was interested to see the many small differences between the MMBT and his Micromatic brethren.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEM plating - nickel on this MMBT?

View attachment 954187

No filters or anything on this photo. Bright bathroom CFL and LED lightbulbs.

The Bullet Tip at the top has a distinctly warmer plating color than the closely matching chrome of the OC and ClogPruf below. Did ASC plate some Micromatic razors in nickel?

I was interested to see the many small differences between the MMBT and his Micromatic brethren.
Very nice collection of Micromatics and all three of their different models. I looked at mine and they look the same texture and shine and mine are chromed. No doubt they tried different coatings and chrome seems a better choice to them(I like the shine), chrome is a very hard metal and will last longer. Micromatics also came with just brass and had a weak coating of gold also, they are built very well and will last for a long time as us users already know.
You could try comparing a Gillette side by side because they used Nickel in most if not all models of DE razors!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Very nice collection of Micromatics and all three of their different models. I looked at mine and they look the same texture and shine and mine are chromed. No doubt they tried different coatings and chrome seems a better choice to them(I like the shine), chrome is a very hard metal and will last longer. Micromatics also came with just brass and had a weak coating of gold also, they are built very well and will last for a long time as us users already know.
You could try comparing a Gillette side by side because they used Nickel in most if not all models of DE razors!
+1 on the idea of comparing to a Gillette (maybe a Tech). Every time I feel like I'm learning how to spot the different coatings: Sterling, Silver-Plate, Chrome, Nickel, Shiny Brass, Gold Plate....I start to seriously doubt myself. I've tried doing some research as to when different plating materials and technology were adopted and popularized, but 10 minutes after a little learning, it sails right out of my head :a12:

+1 on the idea of comparing to a Gillette (maybe a Tech). Every time I feel like I'm learning how to spot the different coatings: Sterling, Silver-Plate, Chrome, Nickel, Shiny Brass, Gold Plate....I start to seriously doubt myself. I've tried doing some research as to when different plating materials and technology were adopted and popularized, but 10 minutes after a little learning, it sails right out of my head :a12:

I get what your saying about learning. I am homeschooling my kids and we meet with a co-op Mondays, when the Tudor is teaching a lot of the English writing curriculum I have a hard time retaining much of the information.

Ron R

Hello Fred, As a Machinist I have worked with so many exotic metals and materials I can figure a few out some what easily, but only a few and when I machine certain metals it also can confirm the base metal (visual identification is still very important.)
You almost have to be a metallurgist to figure it out and they do have machines to actually figure it out by bombarding the metal with a special expensive Atomic radiating device we use to operate at the pulp mill (critical for welding & fabricating boiler materials and other critical equipment for repair). For us- just use a visual and that is about all we need and the ......with the rest.

Doing some research into Gems and came across this information from another form that would maybe interest some ASR Gem owners.
proxy.php

If you are more into reading than looking at a chart, here goes;

"
1911-1912 Gem de Luxe
1912 Gem Damaskeene (the "1912")
1914-1915 (ER) "1914" Marked "American Safety Razor Company New York" Patent Pending
1917-1919 (ER) "1914" Marked "Ever Ready" Patented March 24/14
1918 "Radio" trademark blade - just a point of interest being perhaps "Radio" predated "Ever Ready" on the razors that are marked "Radio"?
1919 Star became a subsiduary of ASR
1919 Gem "1912"
1919 (ER) Front Hinged Cap "Brooklyn New York USA" Patent Applied For (becomes the "1924")
1923 "Ever Ready" trademarked by ASR
1924 "GEM" trademark redesigned by ASR
1925 ER "1914" & "1924" produced hereafter marked "Ever Ready"
1930 Gem "Micromatic" (the Open Comb)
1930 The Improved Ever Ready ("1912") - what we call the Ever Ready "1912" finally coming into common production (see above, regarding "Radio")
1933 ER "E-Bar" - potentially earlier than the Gem offering of the same model? (Last use of "Ever Ready" in the US)
1930s "Star" - supercedes "Ever Ready" in the US (British market continues with "Every Ready") and duplicates "Gem" ("1912") ... perhaps simply becoming the "Junior"
1930s? Gem G-Bar (introduced after the cessation of the Ever Ready trademark in the US)
1940s? Gem "1912 Junior"
1941 Gem (Micromatic) "Clog Pruf"
1947 Gem (Micromatic) "Flying Wing"
1940s? (Late) ER "Streamline" (British - Ever Ready trademark picked up in Britain ... last used in US in 1933)
1950s ER Featherweight (British)
1950s Gem Featherweight/Pushbutton
1960s Gem Contour
1970s Gem Contour II

I did a lot of homework and used some extensive google-fu on this matter, mainly searching vintage print ads and browsing through different forums around the world and collectors catalogs.
The table, though an excellent starting point, is slightly approximate and sometimes inaccurate especially the most "recent" models (40's-50's). This is what I've have recollected:

- Pre-war Era
1931-1941: Gem Micromatic ("MMOC")
1938-1943: Gem Jr. "Baton" Handle.
1941-1943 Gem Micromatic "Clog-Pruf"

*World War II*
1940-1943: Gem G3 for Military sets (1912 Head with black metal handle) Also produced by Star.
1943-1945: Gem Jr. with (slim) Bakelite Handle (because of the metal shortage in those years)
*End of WWII*

- Post-War Era
1946-1948: Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf returns with the "Peerless" edition (17 nibs on safety bar VS the 12 on earlier Clog-Prufs)
1948-1951: Gem Micromatic "Flying Wing". At the beginning they had a "guiding eye" engraved on the top cap, later production had no "eye"

- New Flat Top Head: the Gem "V-Slim Flat Top Head" & the Ever-Ready "Natural Angle" razors.
This becomes controversial. Someone reports a 1933 Ever-Ready "E-Bar", user @France1978 places the Gem "G-Bar" in the late 40's.
I've searched high and low everywhere but I have not found proof or evidence of such claims.
The flat top head design appears both in US and British at the beginning of the new decade. From what I have collected this is the most probable dating:

1951-1958: Gem V-Slim "Feather Weight". Early models, marketed as "Deluxe", had a golden tip at the end of the handle.
1953-1958: Gem V-Slim "Heavy Flat Top" (AKA G-Bar). Also a limited "Deluxe" gold plated version.

- "Modern" Gems
1958: Gem Push-Button. Only advertised in 1958 and 1959, gold or chrome plated versions. Maybe they were produced through the beginning of the 60's before the introduction of the Contour.

Weird enough, being these the most recent models, I couldn't find any clue about when the Contours were first introduced:
60's: Contour
70's: Contour II

For what I believe the production of the Contour II ceased by 1982.

Ron R

I did a lot of homework and used some extensive google-fu on this matter, mainly searching vintage print ads and browsing through different forums around the world and collectors catalogs.
The table, though an excellent starting point, is slightly approximate and sometimes inaccurate especially the most "recent" models (40's-50's). This is what I've have recollected:

- Pre-war Era
1931-1941: Gem Micromatic ("MMOC")
1938-1943: Gem Jr. "Baton" Handle.
1941-1943 Gem Micromatic "Clog-Pruf"

*World War II*
1940-1943: Gem G3 for Military sets (1912 Head with black metal handle) Also produced by Star.
1943-1945: Gem Jr. with (slim) Bakelite Handle (because of the metal shortage in those years)
*End of WWII*

- Post-War Era
1946-1948: Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf returns with the "Peerless" edition (17 nibs on safety bar VS the 12 on earlier Clog-Prufs)
1948-1951: Gem Micromatic "Flying Wing". At the beginning they had a "guiding eye" engraved on the top cap, later production had no "eye"

- New Flat Top Head: the Gem "V-Slim Flat Top Head" & the Ever-Ready "Natural Angle" razors.
This becomes controversial. Someone reports a 1933 Ever-Ready "E-Bar", user @France1978 places the Gem "G-Bar" in the late 40's.
I've searched high and low everywhere but I have not found proof or evidence of such claims.
The flat top head design appears both in US and British at the beginning of the new decade. From what I have collected this is the most probable dating:

1951-1958: Gem V-Slim "Feather Weight". Early models, marketed as "Deluxe", had a golden tip at the end of the handle.
1953-1958: Gem V-Slim "Heavy Flat Top" (AKA G-Bar). Also a limited "Deluxe" gold plated version.

- "Modern" Gems
1958: Gem Push-Button. Only advertised in 1958 and 1959, gold or chrome plated versions. Maybe they were produced through the beginning of the 60's before the introduction of the Contour.

Weird enough, being these the most recent models, I couldn't find any clue about when the Contours were first introduced:
60's: Contour
70's: Contour II

For what I believe the production of the Contour II ceased by 1982.
Job well done, I found a lot information scattered also, A.S.R. Gem, EverReady & Star could of done a better job of tracking IMO.
Here,s another great source of information.
A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book
Through your wonderings searching information did you find any information on the Flying wing with the ivory plastic tip, @Twelvefret was asking information if it was produced early or later over at Micromatic Monday. I believe it was later and was a sales gimmick. If you are using a Gem there are some folks who talk about shaving with Gems on Micromatic monday, come join us.

Last edited:
The Feather Weight has always been dated "mid-50's". Another source wrote 1954.
I discovered this printed ad dating June 9th, 1951: note the "NEW" next to the model name:
proxy.php

This is another nice print ad of the Micromatic Clog-Pruf from 1946. A lot to learn from it. "It's back" means it went away. When did it go away? It went away three years before during WWII. You have to read all the fine print to know the ad is about a "Clog-Pruf " (ehm or just look at the razor, lol), because it is described as the "Gem Peerless" model.
proxy.php

I have always seen the glorious Damaskeene as an exquisite and elegant piece of shaving history. A fine instrument reserved to the high society of the time.
In reality this beautiful gem (pun intended) was a little bastard that went to war and kicked some...you know what!
proxy.php

By the way, the Gem dating table is inaccurate on the Damaskeene too. It seems that it made it to the 20's:
proxy.php

I just finished reading this entire thread and one other (started the other before dinner today then moved onto this one when I finished the first.) What a vreat wealth of information. I recently picked up a star and an mmoc. Hope to pick up some blades tomorrow. This will be my first SE shave.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

I just got a MMOC in that same case ♥️

Ron R

This is another nice print ad of the Micromatic Clog-Pruf from 1946. A lot to learn from it. "It's back" means it went away. When did it go away? It went away three years before during WWII. You have to read all the fine print to know the ad is about a "Clog-Pruf " (ehm or just look at the razor, lol), because it is described as the "Gem Peerless" model.
proxy.php
I really enjoy the adds that are so important to us Gem owners who like to know what made people buy millions of these razors. Gem was way ahead in the twist to open (TTO) than Gillette by about 3 or 4 years until Gillette came out with their TTO models. The Peerless Micromatic Clog Pruf is the model I own and I'm really enjoying it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
IMG_8420.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9188.JPG
    IMG_9188.JPG
    894.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9188.JPG
    IMG_9188.JPG
    894.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8420.JPG
    IMG_8420.JPG