What's new

Ditching the badger

96E934D1-B4CC-4571-BB47-F16C11313C80.jpeg
Synthetic brushes are easy to clean, dont smell like a wet badger and lather any soap quickly. Wors perfect for my requirements.

I have a few boars, one badger, and one horse hair. Each has their purpose.
I use the boars for my hard soaps.
I use the badger for my creams.
The horse hair is my travel for being right in between the boars and the badger. Also, if I lose that horse hair I won't cry.

I don't know if my thought process on this is helpful to others, but if it does help I am glad.

I have boars, badgers, and synthetics and like all three. However, for me nothing beats a quality badger.

Recently I used a AP Shaving Tuxedo synthetic with B&M Vetyver Santal soap. Usually, this synthetic does a decent job with soaps but with that B&M soap the lather was weak and watery no matter how many times I went back to the puck. I wasn't sure whether it was the soap or brush so the next few days I used an Uomo da Vinci 293, a B&B LE 2011 badger, and the 10 Anniversary B&B boar brush. All performed perfectly. I went back to the AP Shaving synthetic and once again the lather was weak. I then tried a Plisson Cade synthetic on that soap and the lather was better than what the AP Shaving produced but not as good as the boar and badger brushes.

Granted my badger and synthetic are both cheaper mofels, but I was BLOWN AWAY when I used my Omega 49 Boar for the first time the other day.

I told my wife, who got it for me for Valentine's, "this just feels like what I imagine a brush is supposed to feel like".

I'm pretty sure it's the backbone for me.

Can't wait to see how it changes slightly over the next few months.
Great brush. It will keep that beautiful backbone. GL

I never have been a fan of badger. At one point, I thought maybe it was just that I hadn't spent enough on a quality brush so I bought one from a company locally (bad experience with them) and even a high priced badger never met the standard as my Plisson's. I have many boar brushes, both Omega and Semogue. Even with the boar broken in, I find the luxury of the Plisson and Plisson style knots just can't be beat. I do find that the Muhle synthetic brushes are quite nice to shave with but still not as comfortable. At $13, the Stirling synthetic is so hard to beat! I use their 22 mm for travel.

I've made rich, creamy, wet and dense lather just by rubbing a puck on my stubble and working it in with wet hands. The whole idea of using this or that brush to me is 100% personal idiosyncrasy, and not about convenience or performance. If I wanted easy I'd stick to my electric razor.

A synth to me is too utilitarian. Badger is take-my-time luxury ritual, and big boars are pig-out-in-lather fun. I would love to try the extra soft horse hair from Zenith or Vie-Long in the future, especially for creams where there is less worry about tangling hairs.

I've made rich, creamy, wet and dense lather just by rubbing a puck on my stubble and working it in with wet hands. The whole idea of using this or that brush to me is 100% personal idiosyncrasy, and not about convenience or performance.

Lets remember also that 95% of users use a shaving foam/gel.

Once you go boar its hard to go back! I personally went through a similar stage with Semogue brushes. My Owners Club Boar is very close to as soft as a badger after 4 years of use. It is fantastic at face lathering and killing shaving soaps(Except MDC, nothing kills MDC).

Lets remember also that 95% of users use a shaving foam/gel.

That's too easy since it has propellants. All that matters is to have the lather wet, slick and aerated enough so it doesn't fall off your face. 4 day stubble makes this super easy.

I've never used badger because it's a rodent. Yucks!

But I went from a synthetic to boars and I don't think I'll use another synthetic again. I now have 5 omega boars.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Do you know which Omega model that is?

Omega 10005, Beech handle. Beech is a very light and soft wood. The handle on mine was cracked out of the box. When the clear coat started to wear after about two weeks use, the wood started absorbing water at the crack.

To fix that I tied a string around the base of the knot, then dipped the entire handle in MinWax Polyurethane to the rubber seal, not on the bristles, and let it hang dry overnight. That left a small drop on one edge of the base. I wet sanded it off and the brush has been fine since.

Great brush for the money!

Top Bottom