What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Vegetarian night, Molly Katzen recipe from her 'Still Life with Menu Cookbook', we've been making this one on occasion since 1988...

Mexican Home Fries, Yukon Gold potatoes, onions & garlic, green, yellow, red & jalapeno peppers, ripped up gorditas, black olives, cherry tomatoes, ground cumin, salt & pepper. Topped with old orange cheddar, smoked paprika, more cumin, pepperoncinis, cilantro, greek yogurt, Sriracha... and part of every dinner, garden salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

Beverage - my second ever gin & tonic, may be a third in my future... Georgian Bay Gin, Fever-Tree tonic water

Dessert - my last chunk of Christmas fruit cake, so good! Rice pudding i made with arborio rice and oatmeal milk, chocolate chip cookie.

Music - Queens of the Stone Age; Like Clockwork
''''''''''''- Shovels & Rope; Swimmin' Time
''''''''''''- Marianne Faithfull; Before the Poison...

View attachment 953645 View attachment 953646 View attachment 953647 View attachment 953648 View attachment 953649 View attachment 953650 View attachment 953651 View attachment 953652View attachment 953657 View attachment 953655
dave
That's expensive.

That's expensive.

The gin? Here, $40cdn, sort the popular price point for Ontario made 750ml bottles, the range for those i found listed was $27 - $55, seven of 22 were $40. My parents grew up on a city on Georgian Bay so looked like an interesting option, of course the company headquarters is on Yonge St. in Toronto, the center of the universe...
dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That looks fantastico. What kind of sausage is that? I love poblanos. I usually just put black beans and cheese in them. Need to get creative like yinz guys.

That a black pudding. I baked it with the poblano.
The poblano was a basic bacon and egg pie recipe but in a the pepper not pastry. Never done it before but it turned out quite nice. The only thing I would do different is season the bacon before adding into the pepper, it's a bit hard to after.

Sautéed diced onion, chop bacon and add to inside of pepper. I added a whole egg in each and topped up with half a egg with the yoke broken.

20190216_111125.jpg 20190216_111443.jpg 20190216_120034.jpg

Certainly not up to the standards of this thread but when faced with the question "what is for dinner" I grabbed a couple slices of bacon, then started looking for stuff in the fridge: onion, tomato, celery, spinach and about 15 eggs (about half chicken and half duck) ... and poof dinner.
fridgefritata.jpg

Ruckin

Tom Yum inspired soup with baby bok choy, mushroom, onion, rice noodle, seasame oil, tomato paste, garlic, fish sauce and soy. R.O. water and chicken stock make up the broth
Topped with green onion and a squeeze of lime.

499B7F2A-C01F-42F1-9F43-B1EC5AE23989.jpeg

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Went to Red Lobster last week and was severely disappointed with their clam chowder- it used to at least be decent. It may have had 2 pieces of clam in it. Got the base simmering now, and will be adding clams and corn (wanted corn chowder, too, so why not combine?) soon.

8A42CE25-4A40-46CF-94D2-DEAED218622C.jpeg

The gin? Here, $40cdn, sort the popular price point for Ontario made 750ml bottles, the range for those i found listed was $27 - $55, seven of 22 were $40. My parents grew up on a city on Georgian Bay so looked like an interesting option, of course the company headquarters is on Yonge St. in Toronto, the center of the universe...
dave

Interesting looking gin - I have an app called "Ginventory", it gets an average rating of 8.2/10, and a good write up. I am going to a bar tomorrow night that stocks over 1,000 gins, I shall certainly look for that as I have never tried a Canadian gin before.

Another vegetarian night if you're good with fish and cheese...

Settled on this dough for the last little bit, last few pizza books i've bought have used weights and ratios for recipes so i took one of their recipes and scaled it back for two pizzas. Mixed it up last night for today's dinner.

333g '00' flour (100%)
233g water (70%)
8.7g fine sea salt (2.6%)
1g instant dry yeast (0.3%)
6.7g malt powder (2%)

My old yeast was dated Jan 2014 si figured time to get a new package, 227g pkg., i've got 452 pizzas worth of yeast left after today. Fresh bag of '00' flour.

Pizza #1. Pissaladière - Just a French Guy Cooking - Sauce is puréed anchovies and sardines, topped with onion compote, fennel bulb, red peppers, black olives, fresh thyme and rosemary, olive oil, black pepper, parm.

Pizza #2. White Owl - The Elements of Pizza - Topped with grated dry mozz, grated celeriac mixed with olive oil & chili flakes, slices of turnip & radish, pickled hot peppers.

Getting better at manipulating the oven...

Wife dj-ing - Headstones; LOve & Fury
''''''''''''''''''''''- Decemberists; The Crane Wife
''''''''''''''''''''''- Foo Fighters live album, don't like this one, an album of crowd noise, took it off and put on Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' B-Sides & Rarities... remembering Bruno Ganz & Wings of Desire...

file5-7.jpeg
file2-8.jpeg
file3-7.jpeg
file-15.jpeg
file1-11.jpeg
file2-9.jpeg
file3-8.jpeg
file4-7.jpeg
file-14.jpeg
file5-8.jpeg

dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Magnificent, Dave!

Oddly enough, I was thinking about a pissaladière, today. I even looked up a recipe.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is my first time, and I may be biased, but this is the best chowder I have ever had.

View attachment 954019
I had 3 bowls and am stuffed. The wife doesn’t care for chowder, and I have a LOT left. Oh happy day.

On edit- yes, it isn’t quite white. The recipe didn’t call for it, but I put a half stick of butter in to make it richer. Great addition.

I had 3 bowls and am stuffed. The wife doesn’t care for chowder, and I have a LOT left. Oh happy day.

On edit- yes, it isn’t quite white. The recipe didn’t call for it, but I put a half stick of butter in to make it richer. Great addition.

You can never have too much butter!

Magnificent, Dave!

Oddly enough, I was thinking about a pissaladière, today. I even looked up a recipe.

Thanks Doak!

Interesting combination of salty, pungent and sweet. Only 3tbsp's of the fish paste for a 13" dough and it punched through in spades. I thought i'd put lots of the fennel, peppers and herbs on but the paste would have stood up well to even more of those. Me & our daughter prefered the pissaladière, my wife picked the White Owl.

dave

Hit the grinder today. Some venison sausage with Bay & Garlic, venison & beef Hot Links (to be smoked tomorrow) and some pork Cheese & Parsely Italian.

IMG_1083.JPG

Quick dinner, Italian sausage, pasta, broccoli, etc.

IMG_1082.JPG

Tom

Top Bottom