What's new

Yintal Brass 3 Piece Razor Review

Dear fellow shavers,

I just got the Yintal brass razor after ordering it about a month ago. Here’s my review of it:

First impression, nice looking razor. VERY heavy though, especially the handle. Considering I’m used to lighter razors (Merkur 33C, Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic and metal), Rapira Platinum Lux), it wasn’t that surprising that this razor was heavier, but it did surprise me that it’s at least double the weight of my next heaviest razor.
48C3D8A7-8F02-4827-83BA-014515F2FD48.jpeg

FC96CCC0-2815-44ED-B0AE-1A8D34B8B2AD.jpeg

At first glance, the finish looks nice, but then I noticed a flaw on the top cap, in the same location as the flaw on my Rapira razor (in case you remember form my review on that razor). Not as noticeable though, and since the flaw had no effect on how the RPL shaves, I figured that this wouldn’t either.
5B315076-69D3-4C2D-92A7-E5F6D046A57D.jpeg

The other side is fine though.
52560759-8E1F-4665-A311-BD8C665C1B4A.jpeg

In terms of blade gap and exposure, I would say this this is a moderate razor, much less gap and exposure than the RPL for example, but probably more than the 33C. What was notable though is how much large the arch of the blade is in this razor, so I figured it probably wouldn’t be super aggressive.
3D20BDFA-665D-4660-BE0D-C10778037D62.jpeg

In terms of the actual shave, I used Proraso red soap and a Gillette Platinum blade on its 3rd use, and had a stunningly smooth and comfortable shave. Completely BBS without even the faintest hint of irritation.
To be honest though, I couldn’t tell how aggressive the razor was. The razor was so heavy that it really felt like it took away some of my ability to “feel” how the shave was going. Not that it’s a bad thing, it was super comfortable, but it was just different. Maybe upon subsequent shaves I will get a better feel for how aggressive the razor is and how it performs, but that’s all I can say for now.

I’ll check back in on Wednesday, and hopefully it’s another nice shave!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah, I just got the same.

Your topcap is off though. Mine, I did have to lightly remove some of the clear coat ... And then took a saw to the bottom half inch or so of the handle.

AA

Yes - the handle is solid brass and a lot of us saw the bottom off

100mm = 80g
94mm = 75g
88mm = 70g

I use mine as a donor razor - the top cap is excellent for Fatip and R41 base plates with various handles.

Nice review. I could get it for the handle only, if it is true brass as it seems.

Based on the experiences of people that have cut off the end of their handles, it appears the handle is in fact pure brass. Definitely a nice handle!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes - the handle is solid brass and a lot of us saw the bottom off

100mm = 80g
94mm = 75g
88mm = 70g

I use mine as a donor razor - the top cap is excellent for Fatip and R41 base plates with various handles.

Useful info; hadn't weighed it since the operation... And this razor isn't mild; got two weepers today.

AA

Nice review. I could get it for the handle only, if it is true brass as it seems.

I have the Yintal, but the handle I prefer is the Yaqi matte black. Sits better in the hand, balance is better and weight is perfect. 91x12mm and 66g. Seen here with R41 base and Yintal cap. It's also solid brass, coated black.

R41+Yaqi.jpg

I also have the Yintal. It is a very heavy razor and I find it more aggressive and less efficient than I like. I have a fierce beard, super sensitive skin and am very prone to razor burn. I also have a roundish face.

Funny though, I can get by with an R41 at times. The Yintal, not nearly so often.

Update:

Second use of the Yintal Bronze today, in conjunction with lovely Speick cream, and a 4th use Gillette Platinum. And for as smooth and comfortable as the shave Monday was, today's was..less so.

Today I got three weepers, nothing that alum couldn't handle, but that's three more than I typically get. Also, when applying alum after the shave, there was SIGNIFICANTLY more sting today than on Monday, especially on the neck. Usually I use a blade 5 times, but I figured I'd just toss this blade after this use and start fresh with a brand new Astra SP on Friday and see how I get on with the razor that time.

I didn't think I used too much pressure, but to be honest, it's hard to even feel how much pressure you're applying due to the weight of the handle. Lovely handle and all that, but the heft really takes away my ability to feel exactly what's going on. The weepers and sting could be just due to me using too much pressure and not knowing it, so this is something I'll have to be cognisant of on Friday. After that shave, I'll have a better idea of how much I like this razor, just have to account for not being able to feel what's going on as well.

Update, 3rd Shave:

Today I used a brand new Astra SP and Arko with the Yintal Bronze. I honestly have no idea how my first shave was so nice with this razor, the shave today felt relatively mild while I was shaving, but I had four (!!!) weepers today (That's 7 in the past two shaves with this razor, I normally average about one weeper every fourth shave, or 0.25 weepers/shave, so 3.5 weepers/shave is crazy), and my neck is a raw, red, sore mess.

Perhaps my face wasn't healed well enough from the poor shave on Wednesday, so I give my face an extra day to recover and I'll shave again on Monday. I will reserve final judgement until then, but I must say that my first impressions of the razor could not have been more different than my subsequent experiences with it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm going to try it with another handle before passing final judgement ... then, take another chunk off the handle.

It's a good-looking and cheap razor; wish it actually was bronze. And that it would quit drawing blood. Halloween's over. :a51:

AA

I'm going to try it with another handle before passing final judgement ... then, take another chunk off the handle.

It's a good-looking and cheap razor; wish it actually was bronze. And that it would quit drawing blood. Halloween's over. :a51:

AA

Agree on all counts! At least the handle is solid brass. :D

Update, 4th Shave:

The extra day of rest for my face helped, plus the fact that I used Tabac, which tends to always give a good shave. Still got one weeper, but it was a noticeably better shave than the previous two. Still had to fight with it a big on my neck, and therefore had quite a bit of stinging still when I applied alum, but there's no lingering irritation or redness like there was for the last two. Now that my face is in somewhat normal condition again, the next couple shaves should be more representative of how the razor would usually work than the 2nd (where I roughed up my face) and 3rd (where I shaved over an already slightly irritated face to lead to a more irritated face) shaves.

Today I used a brand new Astra SP and Arko with the Yintal Bronze. I honestly have no idea how my first shave was so nice with this razor, the shave today felt relatively mild while I was shaving, but I had four (!!!) weepers today (That's 7 in the past two shaves with this razor, I normally average about one weeper every fourth shave, or 0.25 weepers/shave, so 3.5 weepers/shave is crazy), and my neck is a raw, red, sore mess.

I find some razors to be deceptively harsh. The first shave will feel OK, but if I use them for a week straight, by the end of the week, my skin is raw and irritated, and weepers appear from nowhere.

The higher settings of my Rockwell can be like that. It never bites, and has no blade feel, so I probably overdo it. Given I shave twice a day, my skin starts to feel the effects within a few days and I need to jump back to a less aggressive plate or be very conscious about pressure.

I guess such razors are taking a thin layer of skin off each time, but not enough initially to even feel a burn at all. But keep it up, and your skin starts to feel the results.

Top Bottom