What's new

Whats cooking in 2019?

Yeah i was thinking of the time when the two of you have retired. In five years time who knows what may have become of the Brexit mess. I'm assuming that if Brexit goes through it's going to make it far more difficult, a big hassle for non-EU citizens of Europe to take up permanent residence in the EU countries.
dave

We were joking about that with some friends already there: general consensus was my wife on an Indonesian passport would be welcomed with open arms, me on my UK (but blue!) passport would be politely told to b*gger off...

Oxtail ragu...

Lots of meat on the oxtails used to make stock Friday and today put it to use in a pasta sauce. Onions & garlic, fennel bulb, celery, red pepper, crushed fennel seeds, chili flakes, a jar of backyard tomato sauce and a tub of shredded oxtail, dried oregano, parm over rotini.

Another ice storm today to close the city down... makin' do.

file-5.jpeg
file-6 (1).jpeg
file2-1.jpeg

dave

A bit lazy last night, the missus was working late and I couldn't be bothered to go shopping or eat out it being V Day, and all I had at home was some bread, eggs, butter and some Pont-l'Eveque I picked up last week. So I made scrambled eggs on toast, Ramsey style, i.e., break eggs directly into pan, add butter, stir constantly till still creamy soft, add a dob of cream and season right at the end. I had also picked up a small bottle of real white truffle oil so a mere drizzle in as well. Butter the toast and add some slices of the cheese then pile the eggs on top. Serve with a bottle of Bordeaux as I watched the highlights of the 3rd Test from the Caribbean on Youtube. A most pleasant evening!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
A bit lazy last night, the missus was working late and I couldn't be bothered to go shopping or eat out it being V Day, and all I had at home was some bread, eggs, butter and some Pont-l'Eveque I picked up last week. So I made scrambled eggs on toast, Ramsey style, i.e., break eggs directly into pan, add butter, stir constantly till still creamy soft, add a dob of cream and season right at the end. I had also picked up a small bottle of real white truffle oil so a mere drizzle in as well. Butter the toast and add some slices of the cheese then pile the eggs on top. Serve with a bottle of Bordeaux as I watched the highlights of the 3rd Test from the Caribbean on Youtube. A most pleasant evening!

Excellent!!

proxy.php

Garlic, lemon, thyme pork loin. Cooked in my Webber kettle with offset heat and cherry wood smoke until 145F was reached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxtail ragu...

Lots of meat on the oxtails used to make stock Friday and today put it to use in a pasta sauce. Onions & garlic, fennel bulb, celery, red pepper, crushed fennel seeds, chili flakes, a jar of backyard tomato sauce and a tub of shredded oxtail, dried oregano, parm over rotini.

Another ice storm today to close the city down... makin' do.

View attachment 952267 View attachment 952268 View attachment 952269
dave
Beautiful presentation!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Bacon & egg poblano, black pudding and a fried tomato.
Both the poblano and tomato were fresh from the garden. Life is good.

20190216_120827.jpg

Thanks @Luecke2326 & very nice tenderloins. What did you have with them?

Chris and Harry are those breakfasts or breakfast for dinner, i'd need the whole day to ready my stomach for that kind of meal.

Deconstructed cabbage rolls, all the flavour with no work. Throw 3c shredded cabbage, 250g/half lb. hamburger, 3c water, chopped onion, 1T Worcestershire, couple pepper corns, couple allspice berries and a bay leaf into a pot and simmer for 45min. then squish up a jar of tomato junks add to pot simmer for another half hour, season to taste. Serve with a hearty bread & butter, a dollop of some white creamy dairy product might have been nice... One meal for three.

''''''''
'''''''''''''''''''''
file-7_B&Bsize600.jpg

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris and Harry are those breakfasts or breakfast for dinner, i'd need the whole day to ready my stomach for that kind of meal.

It was a very late breakfast. Actually I had not breakfast it was lunch.
There's no way I can eat a meal like that at breakfast time.

We watched an episode of "A Taste of Britain" on iPlayer last night: Brian Turner and Janet SP going around GB eating. Since I left, food has improved leaps and bounds, I doubt I should take credit for it, but why not - it's the internet! Anyway, this episode was in Gloucestershire and Turner went to a gastropub where the chef made a beef pie. This is pretty much it, again I should not take credit, all I did was remember what he'd done, but, it's the internet, so it's my pie(!)

I got some chuck tender from the supermarket, not sure what cut that equates to elsewhere, it is not as fatty as shin or actual chuck but you have to work with what Cold Storage has on any given day. Coated in flour and in then browned hot oil in my Le Crueset casserole. Set aside. I let the pan cool a little then sweated off onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic, all robustly sliced. I let the onions cook for a good ten mins before I put in the rest of the veg.

Put the meat plus any juices back into the pan and add in a decent glass of beer. Not lager, ale. Whatever you can find: again, I was constrained by Cold Storage's rubbish stock policy and ended up with a can of Kilkenny... Then add a glass of red wine, I had a bottle of Bordeaux handy and stir it all in. A large teaspoon of mustard - horseradish would also have done but see earlier comments regarding Cold Storage - and a splash of Lea and Perrins.

Season, and add bay leaves and rosemary from the balcony pot. You could use whatever you like, but that's what I had.

Bring to a simmer and stick the covered casserole into the oven at 180C for 2 hours.

When it's ready, take your homemade puff pastry, or freshly de-frosted pastry like me, and roll out.

Put the beefy goodness into a dish and cover with the pastry. You could do a big dish or if you are a show-off, you have individual dishes at the back of the cupboard which you last used 5 years ago for some reason that currently escapes me...

Back into a 200c oven for 20 mins, while you make some buttery mash pots. Boil pots, mash with butter, then just add more butter. Then a bit more for luck. Season with salt and white pepper, I prefer the absence of black specks but however you prefer.

Serve with the rest of the Bordeaux.IMG_3200.JPGIMG_3199.JPG

Not sure why the photo has posted twice, apologies for that.

Vegetarian night, Molly Katzen recipe from her 'Still Life with Menu Cookbook', we've been making this one on occasion since 1988...

Mexican Home Fries, Yukon Gold potatoes, onions & garlic, green, yellow, red & jalapeno peppers, ripped up gorditas, black olives, cherry tomatoes, ground cumin, salt & pepper. Topped with old orange cheddar, smoked paprika, more cumin, pepperoncinis, cilantro, greek yogurt, Sriracha... and part of every dinner, garden salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

Beverage - my second ever gin & tonic, may be a third in my future... Georgian Bay Gin, Fever-Tree tonic water

Dessert - my last chunk of Christmas fruit cake, so good! Rice pudding i made with arborio rice and oatmeal milk, chocolate chip cookie.

Music - Queens of the Stone Age; Like Clockwork
''''''''''''- Shovels & Rope; Swimmin' Time
''''''''''''- Marianne Faithfull; Before the Poison...

file4-6.jpeg
file5-6.jpeg
file6-6.jpeg
file3-6.jpeg
file9-4.jpeg
file-13.jpeg
file7-6.jpeg
View attachment 953652
file8-5.jpeg
file1-9.jpeg

dave

Attachments