What's new

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Nicks

Small update. I just weighed 1 boot each.

Red Wing Iron Rangers: 1lb 12oz
Nicks Rangers: 2lb 11oz.​

So the Nicks are substantially heavier (almost a full lb heavier for each boot). This is not necessarily an issue but the support/comfort has to make up for the added weight. I wouldn't walk around all day in flip flops simply because they were lighter.

I will know in a few months.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I add false tongues and leather laces to just about every pair of boots I own. Some folks don't like the look of the false tongues but I do

This is one of those situations where guys can have different preferences and neither be "right" or "wrong". Personally, I dislike the false tongue, but have no problem with guys who like the false tongue look.

they are functional (provides additional padding against lace bite and protects the soft tongue leather).

So much the better for you that you see a utility in your decision, beyond mere cosmetic appearance. My experience has been that other areas of the boot will wear out far sooner, but no sense in needlessly wearing out the tongue leather.

Nicks recommends not oiling or treating them during break in

This advice seems ... odd. Did they give any explanation for this?

Small update. I just weighed 1 boot each.

Red Wing Iron Rangers: 1lb 12oz
Nicks Rangers: 2lb 11oz.​

So the Nicks are substantially heavier (almost a full lb heavier for each boot). This is not necessarily an issue but the support/comfort has to make up for the added weight. I wouldn't walk around all day in flip flops simply because they were lighter.

I will know in a few months.
Is the extra weight an issue? I have redwing blacksmiths which I find uncomfortably heavy, almost to the point I don’t wear them. I couldn’t imagine if they were a pound heavier.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Is the extra weight an issue? I have redwing blacksmiths which I find uncomfortably heavy, almost to the point I don’t wear them. I couldn’t imagine if they were a pound heavier.
But think how big your calves would be!

This is one of those situations where guys can have different preferences and neither be "right" or "wrong". Personally, I dislike the false tongue, but have no problem with guys who like the false tongue look.

So much the better for you that you see a utility in your decision, beyond mere cosmetic appearance. My experience has been that other areas of the boot will wear out far sooner, but no sense in needlessly wearing out the tongue leather.

"De gustibus non est disputandum"

So the utility is that it does take the bite off the laces (even though the full gusseted tongue provides 3 layers of support). As far as other parts of the boots wearing out sooner. This is exactly the point. Nicks, White's, Wesco, Franks... boots can be rebuilt. The will replace the vamp, the heel, insole, outsole, heel... keeping the upper and tongue at less than half the cost of a new pair of boots (basically getting a new pair of boots). Here's a photo of a rebuilt boot:

At my age and what I plan on using these boots for, I personally doubt that I would ever need these boots rebuilt. But for guys who are in the trades, wilderness firefighters, etc, who put these boots through hell and get them rebuilt every ~2 years, saving the tongue leather with $3 false tongues makes sense.

For those who are not fans of the look but want the utility, they can get the dress false tongues instead. Hardly noticeable in the same color:

Nicks sells 3 different types of false tongues in multiple leathers/colors. Logger, Packer and Dress/Casual.

Last edited:
So I have worn the boots on 2 occasions.

The first time was just to check the fit. I kept them on for a couple of hours just sitting and walking around the house. I can't make any comments about the fit until broken in but I can say that they seem to be the right size. Heel fits perfect with absolutely zero slip and I can wiggle the toes a bit. Where the boots really "grip" is in the instep and arch and I suspect that's where the break in is the most important.

The best I can describe the feel is that it's like putting on new hockey skates, followed by ski boots. The boots are a snug fit and the heel "pops" in. The biggest difference I feel is the arch support. More so than athletic or other modern orthopedic footbed based shoes. It feels like having a tight leather belt around the arch/instep and for me, that's where all the hotspots are. Again, I suspect this is where the break in will occur.

The second time was for ~4Hrs for a dinner out. The leather is really stiff and walking and ankle articulation is difficult at this point so I did not drive. At about 2-1/2 hrs,the boots became uncomfortable (or the hotspots were harder to tolerate). To speed the process Nick's recommends spraying the hotspots with a mix of water and rubbing alcohol. I will bear with the pain and not speed the process.

So it's relative... these are heavier boots but not as heavy as their Hot Shot firefighter or Builder Pro boots. The wilderness firefighters spend days in their boots but I'm not in good a shape as those guys :). In the end though, comfort is what I am after which weight is only is a part of the equation (flip-flops might be the lightest of shoes but who wants to walk a mile in them?). These boots may be heavier but if my foot, ankle, knees, back... are less fatigues at the end of the day vs lighter boots, then to me they're better. I need to find that out for myself but I based my decision based on reviews/comments from guys who are on their feet all day long working in these so I'm not too concerned with the weight.

As far as treatment... According to Nicks FAQ:

"First, get through the 80-100 hours with the alcohol and water break-in...
THEN, grease your boots with the only product we recommend - Obenauf’s LP Leather Preservative"
But I did put a liberal coat clear polish on the toes and heels just to protect them from scratches and scrapes.

I wore my blacksmiths all day for a wrestling meet yesterday and feel it in the back today. As far as walking in flip flops all day, I’m that guy. In fact, I’m missing the ACL in my right knee from tearing it in football when their was no surgery to repair it. I found that rainbow flops when they’re broke in are the most comfortable, easiest on my knee of anything I’ve tried. I wore them for 12 hrs at a time touring key west with no knee pain at all. I love the idea of the nicks but would hate to spend that kind of money on something that would be a self induced torture device.

I wore my blacksmiths all day for a wrestling meet yesterday and feel it in the back today. As far as walking in flip flops all day, I’m that guy. In fact, I’m missing the ACL in my right knee from tearing it in football when their was no surgery to repair it. I found that rainbow flops when they’re broke in are the most comfortable, easiest on my knee of anything I’ve tried. I wore them for 12 hrs at a time touring key west with no knee pain at all. I love the idea of the nicks but would hate to spend that kind of money on something that would be a self induced torture device.

You may actually be one of those guys who can benefit from this:

The Benefits of Barefoot | US

Not for me but I know several folks who have gone this route (barefeet and barefeet shoes) who swear by it.

Also, if the Blacksmiths are anything like the Iron Rangers, and you were standing/walking all day, I feel your pain also.

Last edited:
A short update...

The boots are beginning to break in. I rotate them in ~1x/week and go for ~1 mile walk every 1~2 days. The hotspots are becoming more bearable. These are my first high heel, high arch boots. They're not fully broken in yet but WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I can't stress this enough. For me, the heels and arch support together takes the pressure off my ankles, knees, hip and back. It's a BIG difference and just standing, my posture is better and there's less pressure on my back.

These have a while to go before complete break in but I'm sold. I'm already looking to order another pair (something more dressy this time). Don't think my Iron Rangers will stay in the rotation for long.

Glad to hear about the progress! Those boots (and Nick’s boots generally) are truly functional lookers. I’m a White’s guy myself (like Ford vs. Chevy, I guess), but I’m sure I’d be happy in Nick’s as well.

P.S. Before White’s I was a Red Wings Iron Rangers guy. I wish every wearer of Iron Rangers was able to spend a few weeks in a pair of White’s or Nick’s. What a difference. Sure, the prices are different, but a pair of Nick’s or White’s will last a lifetime, in comfort (after break-in), although a rebuild or two might be required. To my feet, White’s is to Iron Rangers as Mephisto’s are to sneakers.

Last edited:
Glad to hear about the progress! Those boots (and Nick’s boots generally) are truly functional lookers. I’m a White’s guy myself (like Ford vs. Chevy, I guess), but I’m sure I’d be happy in Nick’s as well.

P.S. Before White’s I was a Red Wings Iron Rangers guy. I wish every wearer of Iron Rangers was able to spend a few weeks in a pair of White’s or Nick’s. What a difference. Sure, the prices are different, but a pair of Nick’s or White’s will last a lifetime, in comfort (after break-in), although a rebuild or two might be required. To my feet, White’s is to Iron Rangers as Mephisto’s are to sneakers.

To be fair to the Iron Rangers... they are can be had for ~$250 on sale often so they are 1/2 the cost of the Nicks.

That said, I am now of the opinion the $250 is totally worth it. I'm all in.... I've just sold my Iron Rangers on the auction site to help pay for another pair of Nicks. I think they're that good. Too bad I discovered them late... I feel like I would have gotten more value out of them had I found them earlier. I've gone through a dozen pairs of various boots... Danners, Timberlands, etc...

To be fair to the Iron Rangers... they are can be had for ~$250 on sale often so they are 1/2 the cost of the Nicks.

That said, I am now of the opinion the $250 is totally worth it. I'm all in.... I've just sold my Iron Rangers on the auction site to help pay for another pair of Nicks. I think they're that good. Too bad I discovered them late... I feel like I would have gotten more value out of them had I found them earlier. I've gone through a dozen pairs of various boots... Danners, Timberlands, etc...

I feel your regret...

Nick’s may be better than White’s (I have no idea), but each of my pair of White’s cost a tiny bit less than $400, but each pair is standard-issue Semi-Dress. After this post, I’ll be scooting over to Nick’s to compare pricing... But not with an eye to buying a new pair of boots, mind you!

I cannot believe you can get this level of service for a pair of boots for just $500. To me that's for to be worth every penny and more compared to buying off the rack rebuildable footwear.

A short update...

The boots are beginning to break in. I rotate them in ~1x/week and go for ~1 mile walk every 1~2 days. The hotspots are becoming more bearable. These are my first high heel, high arch boots. They're not fully broken in yet but WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I can't stress this enough. For me, the heels and arch support together takes the pressure off my ankles, knees, hip and back. It's a BIG difference and just standing, my posture is better and there's less pressure on my back.

These have a while to go before complete break in but I'm sold. I'm already looking to order another pair (something more dressy this time). Don't think my Iron Rangers will stay in the rotation for long.

I am eyeing a pair of Roberts. My Red Wing Blacksmiths have fully broken in and a quite comfortable. I have no complaints about the Red Wings.

I do, however, have very little basis for comparison and I have very high arches so The Robert by Nick’s looks extremely attractive to me.

Would you mind to compare the break in period for the Nick’s vs. your IRs?

Thanks again for the information.

I am eyeing a pair of Roberts. My Red Wing Blacksmiths have fully broken in and a quite comfortable. I have no complaints about the Red Wings.

I do, however, have very little basis for comparison and I have very high arches so The Robert by Nick’s looks extremely attractive to me.

Would you mind to compare the break in period for the Nick’s vs. your IRs?

Thanks again for the information.

So my boots are the Rangers which are 7.5~8oz leather. The Roberts are available in different leather weights including lighter ones that are fancier and more "dress". Without knowing what the specs are on the Red Wings, I can tell you that the leather on the Nicks Rangers is much heavier than the Redwing Iron Rangers.

Keep in mind that heavier/lighter leather weight is not necessarily good/bad. Just different for different purposes. For my next pair of boots (custom Roberts), I will probably go with a lighter weight... really digging the Predator Orange at the moment.

That all said... I would say I'm 20~30 HRs into the 100Hr break in that Nicks recommends. At this point, my Iron Rangers were beginning to feel comfortable with some hotspots. While the hotspots are getting better, the Nicks are a long ways from that. But what has sold me is the support. From the moment I put them on, I felt the Nicks align my foot, my ankle, knee, hips, back properly and just standing in them, my posture feels better. It's by no accident though... one can tell just looking inside the Nicks and Redwings. The Nicks are shaped like a modern orthopedic footbed built up with leather while the Redwings are basically flat. The images below show the difference.

With regard to ordering...

One can "go off the menu" when ordering custom. For example, my next pair will be the Roberts but with the following differences:
  • #2 toe - Roberts and Rangers are normally a #3 toe which is more round/bulbous. As these will be "dress boots", I want a sleeker and slightly more pointed toe without going to a #1 toe which is closer to a cowboy boot.
  • 8" height - Roberts are 6" boots normally but I like the added height for ankle support.
  • Logger heel - haven't made up my mind yet between a dogger and logger heel but I do like the shape of the logger heel better.

Top Bottom