What's new

In which Tankerjohn plays pen doctor and has no idea what he’s doing

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Meet the patient - a mild mannered black Esterbrook J from sometime between 1949-1952 judging by the imprint and lever shape. Nice looking pen...on the outside. Inside, he’s quite sick. The lever barely moves, indicating to me that the sac is rather ossified and a sacadectemy is in order. :a46:

71963E2D-9301-4C41-B79E-E3F1B3227434.jpeg

On the operating table. Per the usual guidance, I installed a nib unit for the section removal to prevent crushing it.

41C7C723-D4F2-4AFB-B173-36CD359F6CD4.jpeg

A little heat. A minute with the hairdryer on low is all it took.

0500B6DF-032A-4523-9A2B-F1F3751C396D.jpeg

Pop! We’re in business. Holy crap, where is the sac!? :ohmy:

EF7EB3A2-D664-4C1A-AA7F-625E1ED6E63B.jpeg

In there. Ugh.

D5D00495-E3C8-4B2E-8124-D58410FC8C25.jpeg

This isn’t going to be quick or easy. This is why the pros have dental tools. But being neither a pen restoration pro nor a dentist, I make do with an old rifle cleaning kit and whatever screwdrivers I could scrape up.

D8CA9EF3-AF65-459C-9296-67626B7C9C81.jpeg

After a lot of scraping and flushing, I managed to get most of it out. The pros say not to soak the barrel or the filling mechanism will rust. I took my chances because that sac was hard as a rock. Hopefully a few minutes in the water isn’t enough to rust out the J-bar. But it did help soften up the sac pieces.

C98266D6-7D66-4711-94FC-C9C64B886EA4.jpeg

I don’t think I got it all out, but enough that it won’t interfere with a new sac. And the lever works great, confirming my assessment that the old sac was preventing it from moving.

And there we are, first surgery complete and the patient recovering well and awaiting sac transplant. I am optimistic about his prognosis. :a16:

BAD2815F-E8C4-4382-B35F-C7E3AED63041.jpeg

To be continued...

What kinda soldier doesn’t have dental picks in his weapon cleaning kit? Even if they’re cheap Paki things. If this weren’t such a civilized board, I’d be tempted to make an inter-branch commentary on the intelligence of DATs.

Nice work though.

Nice work! I use metal shish kebab skewers since I don't have dental equipment either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lol. Swing by harbor freight and grab some nylon dental tools, angled hemostats, and straight hemostats. They should also have these same items at Home Depot or Lowe’s. Shellac and talc powder(billiard quality) are also good. Rounding up a decent razor blade, if you can find one, would also be advantageous.

tankerjohn

What kinda soldier doesn’t have dental picks in his weapon cleaning kit? Even if they’re cheap Paki things. If this weren’t such a civilized board, I’d be tempted to make an inter-branch commentary on the intelligence of DATs.

Nice work though.
Guilty as charged, sir. Somehow I got by without a dental pick. I guess I always just bummed one if I needed it for particularly crudded firing pin or something.

You all may be amazed how many dental tools dentists throw away. my wife makes jewelry and has gotten quite a few picks and pointy things from dentists. 'Course, she's a girl an gets better attention than we non-girls do. Also places that deal in any kind of model building often have them cheap. my two cents worth

jd

Meet the patient - a mild mannered black Esterbrook J from sometime between 1949-1952 judging by the imprint and lever shape. Nice looking pen...on the outside. Inside, he’s quite sick. The lever barely moves, indicating to me that the sac is rather ossified and a sacadectemy is in order. :a46:

View attachment 950219

On the operating table. Per the usual guidance, I installed a nib unit for the section removal to prevent crushing it.

View attachment 950218

A little heat. A minute with the hairdryer on low is all it took.

View attachment 950220
nice... black

Pop! We’re in business. Holy crap, where is the sac!? :ohmy:

View attachment 950221

In there. Ugh.

View attachment 950222

This isn’t going to be quick or easy. This is why the pros have dental tools. But being neither a pen restoration pro nor a dentist, I make do with an old rifle cleaning kit and whatever screwdrivers I could scrape up.

View attachment 950223

After a lot of scraping and flushing, I managed to get most of it out. The pros say not to soak the barrel or the filling mechanism will rust. I took my chances because that sac was hard as a rock. Hopefully a few minutes in the water isn’t enough to rust out the J-bar. But it did help soften up the sac pieces.

View attachment 950224

I don’t think I got it all out, but enough that it won’t interfere with a new sac. And the lever works great, confirming my assessment that the old sac was preventing it from moving.

And there we are, first surgery complete and the patient recovering well and awaiting sac transplant. I am optimistic about his prognosis. :a16:

View attachment 950225

To be continued...

...I don’t think I got it all out, but enough that it won’t interfere with a new sac. And the lever works great, confirming my assessment that the old sac was preventing it from moving.

I've occasionally had the fragments of a corroded J bar (the squeezer that the lever presses on) come out with the petrified sac pieces. Looks like you're okay there, but it's worthwhile peering down the barrel with a light, and making sure it's aligned. And I really would suggest trying to get all the bits of petrified sac out, if they aren't already. I've found that once I get the big chunks broken up with my (ahem) picks, the rest tends to fall out with just a gentle tapping.

Good luck. Re-sacing a vintage pen yourself and seeing it working properly always gives a nice feeling of accomplishment.

tankerjohn

I've occasionally had the fragments of a corroded J bar (the squeezer that the lever presses on) come out with the petrified sac pieces. Looks like you're okay there, but it's worthwhile peering down the barrel with a light, and making sure it's aligned. And I really would suggest trying to get all the bits of petrified sac out, if they aren't already. I've found that once I get the big chunks broken up with my (ahem) picks, the rest tends to fall out with just a gentle tapping.

Good luck. Re-sacing a vintage pen yourself and seeing it working properly always gives a nice feeling of accomplishment.
Thanks. Yeah, I think the J bar is okay. I actually waited to order the sac until I opened up the pen to be sure I didn’t need a new one. The old sac was caked in dried ink and stuck to sides of the barrel, making it very difficult to scrape out. I might take any other crack at removing the rest of the peices , but they’re way at the bottom of the barrel and not hurting anything (I don’t think).

The only thing about not getting the pieces of the old sac out, if they come lose later, they may hole the new sac. Have a great day!!!

Tom

tankerjohn

I tapped the barrel on a counter to knock loose whatever else was in there and got a few flakes falling out - either bits of sac or dried ink or more likely both. I inspected the barrel again and am now pretty confident that all the sac pieces are out. On the downside, the J-bar had a little rust, which I wiped off with a q-tip. So maybe I wasn't as careful as I thought with the cleaning or it was already a little rusty because the sac was broken. Either way, the mechanism seems to still work fine, so I'm crossing my fingers its just a little surface oxidation and nothing to worry too much about.

Guilty as charged, sir. Somehow I got by without a dental pick. I guess I always just bummed one if I needed it for particularly crudded firing pin or something.
I agree with the dental pick. But since I was a helicopter mechanic, we had metal scribes and above all else, a large ultrasonic cleaner.

Top Bottom