What's new

Cal's "I don't do journals" Journal

I find that electric razors dry my skin out. I'm not at all sure why.
I haven't tried them since the late 80's early 90's, but they would just not shave close. I would get razor burn from trying to get them to, but they just wouldn't, and this was long before I'd heard of BBSs, single pass cartridge was the milestone.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven't tried them since the late 80's early 90's, but they would just not shave close. I would get razor burn from trying to get them to, but they just wouldn't, and this was long before I'd heard of BBSs, single pass cartridge was the milestone.

Same here. Not only did it fail to cut close, every hair felt like it was being tugged at the root. I seem to recall sending a foil razor on a short high velocity journey towards a wall.

Precisely why I don't miss mine.
After decades of shaving with them, I'll be happy never to use one again.
I can still remember the razor burn I got from them like it was yesterday.

The Philishaves are much improved. I rarely use mine though - only in the extreme circumstance that I am flying with hand luggage only. I prefer a single blade disposable razor to be honest. Mostly I would pack one of those.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Same here. Not only did it fail to cut close, every hair felt like it was being tugged at the root.

Be glad you never stalled one. Talk about a jump start to the morning! lol

I use to sharpen the blades from my Phillips rotaries on my stone. That did help...

I tried a Braun foil shaver once. It gave me the worst razor burn I've ever had.

I seem to recall sending a foil razor on a short high velocity journey towards a wall.

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975-jack-nicholson-laughing.png

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Be glad you never stalled one. Talk about a jump start to the morning! lol

I didn't stall one exactly, but I did use one not realising the battery was flat, which conked out in around a second, mid cut, and it was left fixed to my face. It might be a false memory, but I'm pretty sure I yelped, let go, and the razor didn't fall.

"Now what?"

I didn't know what else to do, but grit my teeth and pull. Not pleasant.

:lol: The above posts make me think of the Boy Scouts' motto.

I guess none of you guys were ever in the Boy Scouts. :001_tt2:

:lol: The above posts make me think of the Boy Scouts' motto.

I guess none of you guys were ever in the Boy Scouts. :001_tt2:
I was a "wee below", forget how to spell it though. And a Y Indian Guide. Probably not considered PC.

I remember damaging a rotary cover and getting gouged rather well from that. Do not use a rotary shaver with a damaged cap BTW! A damage foil only resulted in a small nick like wound from getting pinched.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You see some young men with a shaved face but whiskers on their neck. I wonder if it's an electric razor shave club thing.

Electric razors sound great to me, but never work for me. They're not too bad on my face, but they eat my neck alive and yet don't shave it. I've not tried every brand, but enough to have discarded the notion of trying more of them. My father used one sometimes and I recall my grandfather seeming to enjoy his. I think they thought they were doing me a good turn by buying me one for Christmas, but it was a lot worse than a Pajama Christmas.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You see some young men with a shaved face but whiskers on their neck. I wonder if it's an electric razor shave club thing.

Electric razors sound great to me, but never work for me. They're not too bad on my face, but they eat my neck alive and yet don't shave it. I've not tried every brand, but enough to have discarded the notion of trying more of them. My father used one sometimes and I recall my grandfather seeming to enjoy his. I think they thought they were doing me a good turn by buying me one for Christmas, but it was a lot worse than a Pajama Christmas.

Happy shaves,

Jim
They never sounded good to me, just easy. Being that they work like shears, they can only get as close as one side of the shear (foil or rotary cap) thickness, not including any lift and cut physics (Trac II?). :)

Surely it was better than the underwear Christmas though.

proxy.php

Here is that famous picture of two hairs under electron microscopes. Left : cut with a razor, Right: "cut" with an electric shaver.

proxy.php

Here is that famous picture of two hairs under electron microscopes. Left : cut with a razor, Right: "cut" with an electric shaver.
I put my USB microscope on my face 24 hours after a straight shave and the stubble looked exactly like the one on the left.

Yeah, never thought of doing that picture 'til reading your post. Then when looking, it was like "That is a clean cut!"

Here's one I took seconds ago.
48 hrs growth and you can plainly see how clean the cuts are.
Testament to my honing skills. Needs to be sharp to get clean cuts like those. :001_rolle

WIN_20190207_18_53_52_Pro.jpg

Me being Scottish they have a red tint.

Here's one I took seconds ago.
48 hrs growth and you can plainly see how clean the cuts are.
Testament to my honing skills. Needs to be sharp to get clean cuts like those. :001_rolle

View attachment 950379

Me being Scottish they have a red tint.
According to 23&me.
61.4% British&Irish
22.9% French&German
13.5% "Broadly NW" European
Also Grandparents last names (Stewart/Walker/Robertson/Galloway) So Brit/Scot highly
0207-05.jpg

About 4hrs after shave (this morning) 3 Dark Brown, 1 red, 1 red-almost grey, 1(or 2? midway between the gray and the lower red) grey maybe 3, see another I think :) Definitely see another between lower red and top right brown

Personna DE after 7 shaves, steep shaving.

Top Bottom