What's new

Best DE razor for the smoothest shave?

Thumbs up for Mr Rockwell.
Best razor in my den, used @r6 smooth, efficient and long lasting

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

No such thing as best. There are countless different razor head designs. Rockwell 6s, Rex, & 1946-1947 Aristocrat are my favorites if considering smoothness.

I think it’s mostly individual preferences although some common answers.

My two smoothest razors - meaning cut hair with no blade feel and zero scrap feeling would be Rex ambassador on low settings and ATT S1.

Any of the adjustable razors let you tune in to your preferred setting but it is the blade that does the work; find your best blade and you will get smooth shaves if you have good technique.

In my rotation the smoothest razor is Above the Tie Calypso M1, than Above the Tie Atlas S1 Slant, Feather Popular, Merkur 34c.
I don't have but Karve Christopher Bradley B Plate is so smooth.

Now that you are thoroughly confused, consider that what's smooth is determined by technique. My folding Feather SS shavette is very smooth and uses very sharp blades, but some think they are dangerous.

I've also learned that some blades have a raw, uncomfortable feel while others just the opposite. This is why I chose Astra over Feather, although I still sometimes use Feather just for grins.

Lathering technique and skill will effect how comfortable my shave will be.

At this time the smoothes shave is from my EJ
15491502485752802719690758130319.jpg

...but I got the "smoothest" shave of my life the very first time I shaved with a RR Tech II and I've gotten one every subsequent shave since. Everybody is different though.

Yes, this Chinese Baili made DE razor copies the post-war Tech very well, albeit perhaps it's just a frog hair less aggressive. Regardless, I use both regularly and IMO they are unbeatable for a perfectly smooth daily shaver.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am more than a little amused by all the excellent suggestions that produce a smooth shave on the face of the shaver making the suggestion - but don't necessarily have anything to do with you getting a smooth shave.

Smooth is a product of razor, your particular skin and beard and your technique.

For instance: the smoothest shave I can get comes from an ATT M1. Unfortunately, it's not aggressive enough for my beard and I can't get a BBS in three passes. ATT S1 is a better choice for me, although still not quite aggressive enough.

Do you care about a BBS?
How tough is your beard?
How sensitive is your skin?
What's your technique like? Angle? Pressure?

All things are relative with this kind of question. For me the answer is a Wolfman, but it might not be for you.

I am more than a little amused by all the excellent suggestions that produce a smooth shave on the face of the shaver making the suggestion - but don't necessarily have anything to do with you getting a smooth shave.

Smooth is a product of razor, your particular skin and beard and your technique.

For instance: the smoothest shave I can get comes from an ATT M1. Unfortunately, it's not aggressive enough for my beard and I can't get a BBS in three passes. ATT S1 is a better choice for me, although still not quite aggressive enough.

Do you care about a BBS?
How tough is your beard?
How sensitive is your skin?
What's your technique like? Angle? Pressure?

All things are relative with this kind of question. For me the answer is a Wolfman, but it might not be for you.

This statement is spot on. I am seeing this with my own shaves and this is all part of the adventure as well. :)

For myself I define smooth as efficiency beyond expected given the feel of the razor, razors which you look at after a shave and say what the heck just happened? I have three immediate standouts:

Shake Sharp v1.0 with twin blades
Stahly with hefty non stock handle
Timeless Bronze

For me smooth is no irritation at all, for a smooth daily shaver I want a BBS or close to BBS in a standard 3 pass shave, WTG.XTG.ATG. My beard is typical 'old man', skin tends to be dry, also I think typical 'old man'. The Titanium Timeless with any head and the Edwin Jagger DE 89 are equally smooth, with the Timeless .95 baseplate shaving a little bit closer but more likely to be just a bit irritating. I use very little to no pressure, neutral angle, smoothest blades, Derby regualr or premium.

Top Bottom