What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

MEM DSCN4889.JPG blades are even worse than 10 years ago, absolutely unusable...

The more aggressive settings on a razor don’t necessarily mean a closer shave. Learned I can get a BBS with a lower setting on my Variant.

I've learned, that no matter what I do, lather from bowl always seems to be more airy, that the one from face lather.

Hence, face lather would give me better results.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

That's the goal! I just haven't found the best way to shave that area yet.
Beard mapping? Let it grow over the weekend so you can get a better feel for the direction of growth. Not saying you haven't done it, but it's worth a try! I also learned I prefer milder razors, but to each their own.

That while I like the scent and overall performance of Tabac, for me the shave stick is not the best form in which to use it. I bought the stick as a kind of sample, to see if I liked the stuff. But the small surface area of the stick's cylinder makes it hard to get enough soap on my face to start up a decent lather with my brushes. And the stick itself dries quickly, so I have to re-moisten it several times while I'm applying the soap.

When it's gone, if I want more Tabac, I'll get a standard size.

Beard mapping? Let it grow over the weekend so you can get a better feel for the direction of growth. Not saying you haven't done it, but it's worth a try! I also learned I prefer milder razors, but to each their own.

Did the mapping. This is a newbie technique issue. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That if I ever think about using a Wilkinson sword blade again I can just scrub my face with a cheese grater instead and get the same effect.

My worst shave in years.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Shaving creams don't work well with my tap water, so I'm better off sticking to soaps. I'm also better off getting samples first, before committing to full tubs/pucks. Also, I still prefer face lathering with a boar brush as my primary lathering method, so I'll be considering grating shave sticks into ramekins.

That while I like the scent and overall performance of Tabac, for me the shave stick is not the best form in which to use it. I bought the stick as a kind of sample, to see if I liked the stuff. But the small surface area of the stick's cylinder makes it hard to get enough soap on my face to start up a decent lather with my brushes. And the stick itself dries quickly, so I have to re-moisten it several times while I'm applying the soap.

When it's gone, if I want more Tabac, I'll get a standard size.
Try cutting a 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch slice off the stick, put it in the center of an old soap container and then cut off additional slices and cut those to fit around the edges and after a few times loading your brush, you will have the equivalent of a puck. This is what I use for my travel soap. At home I use the full size puck in the milk jar container when I use Tabac.

A jnat finish is not that noticeable, if the honer doesn't have quite some experience.

I tried to hone on a friend's jnat, and I have to say a coticule or slate edge feels the same as an Ozuku edge, apparently, so I'm going to postpone buying one and I'll stick to my stones for now.

Top Bottom