What's new

Gillette Platinum/Swedes alternative packaging?

I used to be able to buy the fabled Gillette Platinums - also known as the Swedish Gillettes - at a local store, untill they went out of stock about a mont ago.
Last time I visited the store I found these i place of the plastic cased Swedes:

proxy.php

For comparison, the well known packaging of the Swedes:

proxy.php

Offcourse I bought a pack. Upon examining the blades I discovered this:

proxy.php

Individually wrapped blades, nice

proxy.php

Two layers of wrapping! Haven't seen that before

proxy.php

Except from the glue spots (yuck!) this sure looks like a Swede

Some comparison shots:

proxy.php

Top; Swede, bottom; the "new" blade

proxy.php
proxy.php

Left; front of "new" card, right; front of Swede card

proxy.php
proxy.php

Left; back of "new" card, right; back of Swede card

Gillette Platinum/Swedes in a new package? From the looks of the blade it sure seems like it. I haven't tried the blade yet as I am personally no big fan of the Platinums/Swedes (too sharp/unforgiving) for me.

Anyone with a lot of experience with the Swedes willing to make a comparison? Send me a PM.

Regards.

Jakob

J

Jarmo P

I have not bought swedes in a long time, since my cheaper blades in my signature. If I see a gunk blade package like that in store, I will for sure buy and test how they are. Only the gunk spots remind me of Astra. Not a bad blade but russkie :p

Thanks for bringing this up, but why not ask others to post here so we can all learn?

The reason that I want a couple of experienced Platinum/Swede users to PM me, is because I want to send them a few of the blades each, so they can comment on whether these are real Platinums/Swedes or not. I do not have the experience to say so for sure - and I am not very fond of Platinums/Swedes in the first place.

Regards.

Jakob

Last edited:
The reason that I want a couple of experienced Platinum/Swede users to PM me, is because I want to send them a few of the blades each, so they can comment on whether these are real Platinums/Swedes or not. I do not have the experience to say so for sure - and I am not very fond of Platinums/Swedes in the first place.

Regards.

Jakob

Thanks. Got it now.

One volunteer has signed on, thanks jpkunst.

I have blades for one more.

Regards.

Jakob

We've been discussing this packaging over on SMF for a while.

No one seems to have come up with a definitive answer to the question: are these the same blades as the "Swedes" we know and love?

I suspect this might be the start of the end of Polish made Swedes - the packaging JEEP shows (apart from the hangcard) is directly analogous to the 7 o'clock packaging and the non-Western Platinum packaging that came from the St. Petersburg plant. Rumblings from my contacts in P&G that they want to tool Lodz razor blade plant for more Fusion production.

Are there really only one experienced Gillette Platinum/Swede user willing to give these blades a go, to see if they are the real McCoy or not?

Ragards.

Jakob

Are there really only one experienced Gillette Platinum/Swede user willing to give these blades a go, to see if they are the real McCoy or not?

There are a few die-hard "Swede" users at shavemyface.com. Perhaps you could find more volunteers over there.

I think my GF would object strongly to me starting to participate on yet another forum just now. Being more or less active on around 8 forums and administrating/moderating 3 - she has quite clearly brought it to my attention that I already spend enough time on-line as it is :001_smile

Regards.

Jakob

Last edited:
Greenerock just signed up as the second tester.

I'll send the blades out asap.

We will eargerly await the judgement.

An interesting note btw: These blades are acutally more expensive than the Platinums/Swedes in the classic plastic container were.

Regards.

Jakob

Last edited:
I have seen these blades in supermarket in Italy...

Since I wanted Swedes in plastic dispenser I didn't take'em, but if those really are Swedes, I'll give'em a shot.

p.s. I think that price of those blades in italian supermarket was 2,15 €.

I've just got off the phone from a contact in Germany close to the 'action' - P&G's current thinking is to stop all blade production in Lodz (old factory) and to up the capacity of Lodz (new factory) for the assembly and packing of Fusion (and Mach 3) blades from another manufacturing site. It hasn't happened yet.

My conjecture - it could be that they're doing market acceptance testing by dribbling in some production from St Petersburg - if the general public don't respond by screaming to customer services about the change then the switchover would happen more quickly.

I suspect this might be the start of the end of Polish made Swedes - the packaging JEEP shows (apart from the hangcard) is directly analogous to the 7 o'clock packaging and the non-Western Platinum packaging that came from the St. Petersburg plant. Rumblings from my contacts in P&G that they want to tool Lodz razor blade plant for more Fusion production.

Not denying that Gillette, even under the P&G umbrella makes a good product, if overpriced.

I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio, home of P&G headquarters. I spent my first year of high school two blocks up the street from P&G HQ. Two friends from elementary school have spent their entire careers at P&G. The stories I've heard of P&G policies and their meddling in community affairs to their advantage has not left me enamored of P&G.

I have a small stash of 7o'clock yellows, but one of the things I enjoy about this hobby is finding good blades from companies like ASR and Dorco rather than sending some of my money to advance the P&G way of doing things.

Top Bottom