What's new

Frog morton cellar?

So i have read and heard how much people love this blend. I also hear it is no longer available. So i am wondering if there is a blend that is very similar and comparable. I would love to been able to try it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had a couple tins but never tried it. Passed it on to people who appreciated it more. No sense in falling in love with a blend you can’t get anymore of :).

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Mixing equal parts Lane HGL and Stokkebye 17 English Luxury is supposed to be similar to Frog Morton.

Really? I didn’t get the infamous ketchup smell with cellar, not that I ever had a problem with the hunt catsup Virginia of McClelland, I rather liked it...5100!

I have been pulling out the frogs over the last couple of weeks, had some “across the pond” yesterday. Just a really nice smoke, perfect January blend for a walk with coffee. Delicious. Bayou tomorrow.

I was lucky enough to put back enough of each to keep me puffing for a little while; McClelland had been a favorite for years. Blackwoods, and the Christmas Cheer series were yearly purchases, as were the Frogs.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have to admit I never “got” the FM series. Only smoked it when I first started and it always smoked wet. I bought a six pack of FM just in case O “got” it later :).

I’ll revisit my FM Bayou again.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have to admit I never “got” the FM series. Only smoked it when I first started and it always smoked wet. I bought a six pack of FM just in case O “got” it later :).

I’ll revisit my FM Bayou again.

Frog on a log didn't really grab my attention until I let my tin "breathe" some. FM's Cellar I just straight up don't like though.

Cellar was accused of being an aromatic English, and I think that describes it well. The whisky note with the stave imparted that smoky twang I enjoyed; unlike mostnaros however, I think this one will age well...the older tins I have have mellowed and conjoined nicely, I am looking forward to popping one in 10 years to see if this holds true.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Frog on a log didn't really grab my attention until I let my tin "breathe" some. FM's Cellar I just straight up don't like though.

Smoking some Bayou with around maybe 18 months on it now and it’s very tart, and the Perique seems lost in the citrus and Latakia flavors. It’s nice but I think there are many good alternatives in the category.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Cellar was accused of being an aromatic English, and I think that describes it well. The whisky note with the stave imparted that smoky twang I enjoyed; unlike mostnaros however, I think this one will age well...the older tins I have have mellowed and conjoined nicely, I am looking forward to popping one in 10 years to see if this holds true.

How old were the tins that you've mellowed? Mine was one year old when I smoked it. I'm sitting on a tin that's four and a half years old right now though. My other tins are two and a half, and three years old.

I do have some Frog on the Town that's approaching 19 years old.

Smoking some Bayou with around maybe 18 months on it now and it’s very tart, and the Perique seems lost in the citrus and Latakia flavors. It’s nice but I think there are many good alternatives in the category.

Interesting. I haven't tried any of my FMotB yet. Acadian Perique can be tart (IIRC). Since Bayou is a Blaken blend, the Orientals in it might be contributing to the zestiness. I've been out of the loop for awhile though, so I might be confused with what I'm talking about. :001_smile

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
How old were the tins that you've mellowed? Mine was one year old when I smoked it. I'm sitting on a tin that's four and a half years old right now though. My other tins are two and a half, and three years old.

I do have some Frog on the Town that's approaching 19 years old.

Interesting. I haven't tried any of my FMotB yet. Acadian Perique can be tart (IIRC). Since Bayou is a Blaken blend, the Orientals in it might be contributing to the zestiness. I've been out of the loop for awhile though, so I might be confused with what I'm talking about. :001_smile

Zesty is the perfect word. The tin note is like a slap in the face. In a good way of course ;)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Rightly so. It did appear to have a topping, but was a good introduction to English blends.

Top Bottom