What's new

Speaking of Gillette ...

I went into a grocery store today to get a TV Dinner for lunch, and naturally went by the shaving goods. Almost didn't find it. That section was very contracted. Maybe that's a response to competing with Wally World. Anyway, after noticing that they had the largest stock of Williams that I've seen in a store, I noticed the dearth of Gillette products. They had some Mach 3 cartridges, but I didn't spot a Gillette razor. Most of what they had were off-brand razors. Being in a hurry, I didn't see where they were made. Was surprised to find two GEM type shaving blade brands, and one DE.

For canned shaving cream, they had several varieties of Barbersol and for gels, at least two varieties of Edge. They had only one variety of Gillette Foamy, for sensitive skin. No Gillette gels at all.

Grocery stores are stocked based on what sells, and maybe people are getting their Gillette products elsewhere in that town. There's certainly no shortage of Gillette at Wally World. But the decided absence here was interesting. Word is that more expensive brands are making inroads into Gillette's market share, and wonder if this is reflected here. One store doesn't a trend make, but it's interesting.

Gillette is a small part of PG.

Sometimes any buzz is good. Stock price is fine.

Profit margin on Gillette stuff is very high. High margins on laundry pods, too.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Gillette is a small part of PG.

Sometimes any buzz is good. Stock price is fine.

Profit margin on Gillette stuff is very high. High margins on laundry pods, too.

P&G. Five divisions and 89 brands.
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 12.11.28 AM.png

Last edited:
I will have no problem never buying Gillette again. I will miss the lime shaving foam but oh well. As for P&G...I guess I have just too much toxic masculinity for them to want me to purchase their products. I will avoid them. Its not like there arent alternatives to their products, and I SURE wouldnt want to offend them.

Gillette has been getting a lot of publicity lately about their latest ad on masculinity. Mostly unfavorable.

Too recent for this. There wasn't shelf space.

I check out the shaving goods in grocery stores because you can find some unexpected shaving items. I buy my Schick Injector blades from a grocery store, and bought a boar brush and shaving soap from there, too. But that store carries Gillette products. This store, in another town, didn't. While competition from other stores is a strong likelihood, there is no Walmart or Target in that town. Where I buy my Schick blades has one. Just something interesting I noticed.

Again, this looks like it predated Gillette's advertisement issue. But if Gillette is losing that much market share, that commercial could be an act of desperation.

Mozy down to wally world and check out their shaving section. Ours has a very large selection of stuff I have not used since I found you enabling wallet emptiers.

They even have a big Harry's collection.

Id agree with the others who are saying that they probably arent carrying any Gillette stuff because Wal-Mart is undercutting them. They arent going to stock it if people are just buying it for cheaper at Wally World. I wouldnt say its that wet shaving is cutting into their marketshare (because the vast majority of users still use carts and canned foam/gel) and I wouldnt say its the fuss over Gillette's new ad because its too soon and because a lot of people dont even seem to be aware of it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I haven't really noticed who stocks Gillette stuff since I haven't used carts., or anything else of theirs, for years and years and years. I use SE stuff. Walgreens used to carry the Gem SE blades until recently, but I usually order soap and blades online. This reminds me...I need to restock my Schick injector blades...I usually order about two years worth at a time.

It will be interesting to see how the Gillette ad controversy turns out. The problem I have with it is I don't care for companies that jump on an activist bandwagon. Nike seemed to do okay, but they do sports equipment that is targeted to younger people. Shaving covers many generations and the baby boomers are the majority of the population right now. I saw one of the market watch articles when I was checking stock prices had locked their comments section due to it getting pretty heated over the Gillette ad.

I haven't really noticed who stocks Gillette stuff since I haven't used carts., or anything else of theirs, for years and years and years. I use SE stuff. Walgreens used to carry the Gem SE blades until recently, but I usually order soap and blades online. This reminds me...I need to restock my Schick injector blades...I usually order about two years worth at a time.

It will be interesting to see how the Gillette ad controversy turns out. The problem I have with it is I don't care for companies that jump on an activist bandwagon. Nike seemed to do okay, but they do sports equipment that is targeted to younger people. Shaving covers many generations and the baby boomers are the majority of the population right now. I saw one of the market watch articles when I was checking stock prices had locked their comments section due to it getting pretty heated over the Gillette ad.

One of those Gillette 'ad' threads on this forum has been locked as well, i guess gentlemen behaving badly, who'd have thought?
dave

I was in the big bullseye store today & they had Harry's razors as well as quite the selection of "artisanal" shaving products as well a supplies for those among us with facial hair.

I was in the big bullseye store today & they had Harry's razors as well as quite the selection of "artisanal" shaving products as well a supplies for those among us with facial hair.

A bit of an update:

Was in a Dollar General this afternoon, and it looks like the Gillette shelf space has increased.

Top Bottom