What's new

Yaqi brushes...the review series continues!!

It’s me…I’m back to bring you another review of Yaqi brushes. This has become a costly hobby but hey, I’ve come this far, may as well try to get ‘em all!!

Ordered from aliexpress, the parcel arrived in 12 days to India. No hassles as usual.

My order of 6 brushes arrived with 5 synthetics and 1 two band badger in an all metal handle.

Here are some pics of the brushes:

proxy.php

Shedding:

No brush has shed at all. Not one! It seems the construction quality just keeps improving! This is the first time where I haven’t had even one fibre (or badger hair) shed even when the brush is brand new.

Softness:

OK, lets face it…synthetics are basically at a point where we can’t really say one is soft and another is not soft, or is prickly, or scritchy etc. They are all luxuriously soft!

However, there is a relative difference where there is a perceptible difference in the extent of softness.

My rankings of the 5 synthetics from the most soft to the least:

- Purple haze mew brown knot

- Tall green handle with “faded” knot

- Red nebulae handle with timberwolf knot

- Yellow handle with tuxedo knot

- Mysterious space handle with tuxedo knot

Again, each and every Yaqi synthetic is soft! However, some are softer than others and that’s all I’m trying to illustrate here. I could use the mysterious space tuxedo even on irritated skin and it’ll still feel feather soft!

The two band finest in metal handle, being a badger brush, is not included in the above ranking. This one, like my other Yaqi two bands, is scritchy for the first 6 or so uses and then the tips soften up like crazy! From that point onwards, it’s just pure luxury!

You still get a scrub which you really can’t get from any synthetic, just due to the nature of the badger hair. This soft yet scrubby face feel is what keeps me coming back to my badgers despite my overall preference for synthetic brushes.

The brush is what I would regard as upper-density (not crazy dense but enough for me to say “densely packed”). The knot to loft proportion is perfect so there is no lather hogging. Also, once the two bands break in, they never eat the lather in between passes either. But in the first half dozen uses, they do eat lather and this is an annoyance but well worth it because after the break in period, I just adore the two bands!

Splay/Backbone (Glue bump):

With synthetics, I’ve come to learn that due to the softness of the tips, they are going to perform wonderfully and still feel good on the face no matter how deep the knot is set or how big the glue bump is.

However, I must say that in my recent Yaqi orders, including this one, the presence of glue bumps is really not an issue as they are 5mm or less. At 5mm, it doesn’t impact the splay of the knot. It’s the 10mm+ glue bumps that really do impact the face feel of the brush.

The Mysterious space tuxedo is the only one with a 10mm glue bump but for whatever reason, it still splays out nicely so meh…I’m not one bit bothered!

The mew brown has the most amazing splay of the brushes. I find it really balances splay with backbone very nicely and I can push down gently and get it to splay out but at the same time, have decent backbone which gives me an automatic control on the amount of splay.

The small tuxedo knot on the yellow handle also surprised me a lot! The loft is fairly short and it’s also densely packed with fibres (as are all Yaqi synthetics) so I thought it would have issues with splay but to my surprise, it splayed out beautifully! I really enjoyed this brush a lot!

The timberwolf and faded knot were both similar in splay. They both splay out nicely and have less backbone than the mew brown but more than cashmere knots (I’m referring to the Yaqi version, not APShaveCo or TurnNShave. These two are just totally floppy with zero backbone. Which is not a bad thing, just not the comparison I’m going for here).

The two band has wonderful backbone. As most of you who have used synthetics and badgers would understand that backbone and splay are totally different feelings between the two types of brushes.

The two band has wonderful backbone and the splay is just gorgeous! A slight push down and it contours the face beautifully! I know I keep saying it, but I just love the Yaqi two bands!!

Drying time:

This section has become redundant but I’ll leave it in for anyone who hasn’t read my previous reviews…

The synthetics take about 2 hours to dry out completely (I mean from deep within the knot, not just the top half of the brush). The timberwolf knot for whatever reason takes a little longer.

The two band takes about 6-8 hours to dry out mostly and about 10-12 hours for deep within the knot.

Handles:

These brushes are some of the most beautiful I’ve got!! I mean, these are just gorgeous! The purple haze and the red nebulae just blew me away!! The yellow and green handles are both transparent at the bottom half and just amazing! I’ve got a couple of other mysterious space handled brushes so that’ll always remain a favourite of mine.

Overall:

Those that have followed my review serious would know that I’ve used pretty much every synthetic brush on the market and let me give my overall impression so far of the synthetic brush market:

I feel that Yaqi is by far the leader of the pack! Their fibres are different from the others as I find them to be thicker (giving more body and substance to the knot), have “rounder” tips, giving ultra comfort on the face and their handles to me are like a semi-custom!

For overall value for money, quality, awesome handles and sheer performance…my recommendation is Yaqi overall.
Which Yaqi?...well, you can read all my reviews to figure that out!

Fantastic summary! I recently received the 24mm Barberpole 2-band badger and have had around 7 shaves with it. Fantastic brush and amazing density but it still seems to hog lather. I am pleased to hear that this should ease up pretty soon and I will just keep using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic summary! I recently received the 24mm Barberpole 2-band badger and have had around 7 shaves with it. Fantastic brush and amazing density but it still seems to hog lather. I am pleased to hear that this should ease up pretty soon and I will just keep using.

Yup, after about a dozen shaves, they do open up and release lather much better.
Amazing density for the price!!

Do you find that the density - which is amazing - necessitates more loading time? It is amazing value and the other aspect I like is that it is relatively quick-drying for such a big badger!

M

Member 113878

The yellow handle one is the Sagrada Familia Tuxedo.
I ordered one two days ago...

I got one of these recently, but didn't like the handle:
proxy.php

great photos and review. I'm really enjoying the two Yaqi brushes I've got. One is a Mew synthetic and the other a 2 band badger.

I feel that Yaqi is by far the leader of the pack! Their fibres are different from the others as I find them to be thicker (giving more body and substance to the knot), have “rounder” tips, giving ultra comfort on the face and their handles to me are like a semi-custom!
Another great review as always!! We've grown to expect nothing less of you Nav...

I was curious about the above statement though as it would seem that you are aware that Yaqi makes brushes for most artisans out there and most being the exact same specs as Yaqi's. The exceptions would be APShaveCo and TurnNShave I believe since they have Yaqi make brushes to their specs which set them apart from Yaqi. Still, the fibers are the same with mostly the APSaveCO and TurNShave knots being more dense.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great write-up!

The forum seems to be in agreement on the Yaqis ... think I have three?

+2 on Mysterious Space; mine's 26mm but I think they also do a 24mm.

AA

hey guys.. i have a moka express (mew brown) and a mysterious space (tuxedo). was thinking of getting a third for something different what knot type do you recommend and why?

another question is if there is any difference between brushes of the same knots but different handles?

my current favourite is the moka express but i really do like the mysterious space also. I think the reason i like the moka express is that it splays quite well is and luxurious soft to my face.

@nav

Fantastic review.

I have tried 3 Yaqi brushes. 2 of them that I have not anymore are the mysterious space tuxedo and the Sagrada that you have reviewed here. The reason was the handle shape. So far I have kept the rainbow brush, which has a fantastic splay for me.

Do you have the cashmere 28mm Yaqi brush? It is the one that is under my radar.

Do you find that the density - which is amazing - necessitates more loading time? It is amazing value and the other aspect I like is that it is relatively quick-drying for such a big badger!

I find badger brushes in general require a heavy load but the density of the Yaqi two bands does require even more loading. I generally load for thirty seconds, compared to half that for synthetics.

The yellow handle one is the Sagrada Familia Tuxedo.
I ordered one two days ago...

I got one of these recently, but didn't like the handle:
proxy.php

Yes, the sagrada familia is definitely wonderful. Sorry to hear you didn't like the other one. That all black boss knot is wonderful but I can understand about the handle as it doesn't look to be the most ergonomic.

Curious. Does your Sagrada have 10mm glue bump too or not?

No, it's right at the 5mm mark and has amazing splay. I really like this one!!

great photos and review. I'm really enjoying the two Yaqi brushes I've got. One is a Mew synthetic and the other a 2 band badger.

Thanks!

The mew brown and a two band?...you're perfectly done my friend :)

...Wanting more is another story though!

Another great review as always!! We've grown to expect nothing less of you Nav...

I was curious about the above statement though as it would seem that you are aware that Yaqi makes brushes for most artisans out there and most being the exact same specs as Yaqi's. The exceptions would be APShaveCo and TurnNShave I believe since they have Yaqi make brushes to their specs which set them apart from Yaqi. Still, the fibers are the same with mostly the APSaveCO and TurNShave knots being more dense.

Thanks so much!!

With the comment about semi-custom, I was more referring to the handles. I find that I can get creative and tasteful handles from Yaqi instead of shelling out $70+ for a custom handle. In the end, even a $70+ custom handle brush will have the exact same Yaqi knot so that's never interested me.

Very nice reviews! That mysterious space brush, is very tempting!

Thanks!

I now have 4 mysterious space brushes (tuxedo, tuxedo fan, two band and silvertip) and it remains my favorite handle! Looks beautiful and is very ergonomic.

Great write-up!

The forum seems to be in agreement on the Yaqis ... think I have three?

+2 on Mysterious Space; mine's 26mm but I think they also do a 24mm.

AA

Thanks!
From my experience of using many different makes of synthetics, Yaqi is by far the best! There are characteristics of their knot construction that has yielded the best performing and best feeling fibres.

The only fibre they have yet to develop is in the "ultra soft" category (e.g. muhle STF, FS G4 and DS extra soft).

hey guys.. i have a moka express (mew brown) and a mysterious space (tuxedo). was thinking of getting a third for something different what knot type do you recommend and why?

another question is if there is any difference between brushes of the same knots but different handles?

my current favourite is the moka express but i really do like the mysterious space also. I think the reason i like the moka express is that it splays quite well is and luxurious soft to my face.

You have the mew and the tuxedo so I'd highly recommend you try the rainbow brush with the faux horse (brown synthetic) knot. Wonderful knot with an awesome, unique handle.

There is no difference in the same knots which are in different handles unless there is a size difference of the knot.

anyone got any experience with the boss knot?

YAQI Betelgeuse 28mm Synthetic Boss Knot Shaving Brush

I have this with the 26mm boss knot. I find it very luxurious as it splays out more than the other synths. The loft is high on my one so it could be an anomaly as Yaqi generally doesn't set very high lofts. But the boss knot is awesome as I have a couple of other boss knot brushes also.

@nav

Fantastic review.

I have tried 3 Yaqi brushes. 2 of them that I have not anymore are the mysterious space tuxedo and the Sagrada that you have reviewed here. The reason was the handle shape. So far I have kept the rainbow brush, which has a fantastic splay for me.

Do you have the cashmere 28mm Yaqi brush? It is the one that is under my radar.

Thanks mate!

The rainbow is awesome indeed!!

I do have the 28mm cashmere with the watermelon handle...gorgeous!!

It's a very soft tipped brush and very luxurious but with decent backbone! This is why I like it so much.

I have the Moka Synthetic and the HMW Badger. Much prefer the Synthetic and looking to get another one.

The moka has the mew brown knot so if you're looking for another brush, assuming you want another 24mm knot, I'd say try the red nebulae handle with timberwolf knot or the sagrada familia with the tuxedo knot (both reviewed above).

If you want to try a 26mm knot, I'd recommend the rainbow handle with faux horse knot is the mysterious space handle with the tuxedo knot (I personally like the tuxedo fan a little more than the bulb).

Last edited:
Shedding:

No brush has shed at all. Not one! It seems the construction quality just keeps improving! This is the first time where I haven’t had even one fibre (or badger hair) shed even when the brush is brand new.

That sounds promising, the three badger brushes from Yaqi that I have, loose hair in every shave.

That Yaqi high mountain silvertip is a bargain of a badger! At $50, it's the biggest deal in badger brushes.
It's definitely an ultra luxury badger brush!!

It's a great brush and I love it but I still like my synthetic brushes more. My synthetic brushes just perform better for me.

That sounds promising, the three badger brushes from Yaqi that I have, loose hair in every shave.

You should contact Yaqi if you've used the brushes more than a dozen times and they still shed.

I've got 12 Yaqi badger brushes and not one of them shed beyond the initial few.

It's a great brush and I love it but I still like my synthetic brushes more. My synthetic brushes just perform better for me.

Yup, I prefer my synthetics over badgers too! I'm close to 40 synthetics now with "only" 15 badger brushes and 3 boars.

Top Bottom