What's new

Mr Razor is CORRECT

That was a joke from Rev not grammar policing.
Yes. I understand. From your responses to him, you seem to not favor grammar policing. "Don't you start" Or at least that is how I took it.

From twelevefret's response, and earlier today's responses to me. He doesn't care for it either. Wires seem to have gotten crossed.

Yes. I understand. From your responses to him, you seem to not favor grammar policing. "Don't you start" Or at least that is how I took it.

From twelevefret's response, and earlier today's responses to me. He doesn't care for it either. Wires seem to have gotten crossed.

You took it wrong. I took it as the joke it was.

I'm not looking to correct grammar in any event but to correct historically inaccurate claims about Gillette branding like the OP has done yet again above.

I won't engage him further.

You took it wrong. I took it as the joke it was.

I'm not looking to correct grammar in any event but to correct historically inaccurate claims about Gillette branding like the OP has done yet again above.

I won't engage him further.
OK. I'll step right out of this exchange then.

@jmudrick and I have a history of him grammar policing me and others for capitalizing NEW and being critical of Mr. Razor. It's not helpful in the middle of a discussion to have someone chime or nose in that way. I started the thread in good fun. I mean, it's not like we are discussing something of great importance where capitalizing NEW will result in human harm.

I use NEW LC and SC so folks will understand to which I am referring.

What a joy it will be not to be bothered with the grammar police and someone perception of what's historically correct. Halleluiah. :a42::a42::a42:

Is it NEW Deluxe or New De Luxe?

proxy.php

Is it NEW Deluxe or New De Luxe?

proxy.php
There may have been some sloppy typesetting along the way but definitely New De Luxe at introduction. Mr. Razor opts for the DeLuxe spelling for reasons unknown. Waits lists it properly as De Luxe.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
It's an unnecessary distraction

I remember about six months ago I was discussing the NEW LC when the grammar police showed up saying Mr. Razor was wrong. Well obviously, the case Gillette used for the there new version used all caps. Equally obvious was their intent to brand the new version and the NEW.
All of the words are capitalised on the case though so I don’t think you can draw any conclusions from that.

R

romsitsa

That is a New De Luxe, DeLuxe (or Deluxe) models had no serial numbers. Until someone can point to some advertisments where late high price sets are called De Luxe.

“New” faded with time, and New razors became simply Gillette razors or DeLuxe razors. Although there are some anomalies, like the O1 (1944) New blades.
Ad from expired ebay auction.

B3F27376-DF53-4B46-B679-F1771914C2DE.jpeg

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a New De Luxe, DeLuxe (or Deluxe) models had no serial numbers. Until someone can point to some advertisments where late high price sets are called De Luxe.

“New” faded with time, and New razors became simply Gillette razors or DeLuxe razors. Although there are some anomalies, like the O1 (1944) New blades.
Ad from expired ebay auction.

View attachment 943158

Adam
Still looking but all the official Gillette printed material I found has "New De Luxe" or "De Luxe Razors".
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

These are New De Luxe (serial numbered) and British ads, look for approx. 1935-38 US material. Krumholz quotes someone (from the context seemingly a Gillette rep. or text) that all New De Luxes were serial numbered.

Adam

Of course this is wading in little deeper than folks may be interested in going, but “de luxe” is French meaning “of luxury”. This may or may not be common knowledge. Other languages have borrowed and/or appropriated the word, but “luxe” is the word and needs “de”. I’m decades removed from French studies, but do my best to pay attention to what words mean and not try to impose my meaning. The intent seems to reference something special, better, extravagant, set apart-luxury.
A deluxe model can be read differently by a passer-by than A De Luxe model or a DeLuxe model.
I wonder what made a De Luxe/DeLuxe model different than an Aristocrat model? Both seem to be premium, in cases. Was the Aristocrat(Old Type) produces during the same time as the DeLuxe was produced? Just thinking out loud.

Of course this is wading in little deeper than folks may be interested in going, but “de luxe” is French meaning “of luxury”. This may or may not be common knowledge. Other languages have borrowed and/or appropriated the word, but “luxe” is the word and needs “de”. I’m decades removed from French studies, but do my best to pay attention to what words mean and not try to impose my meaning. The intent seems to reference something special, better, extravagant, set apart-luxury.
A deluxe model can be read differently by a passer-by than A De Luxe model or a DeLuxe model.
I wonder what made a De Luxe/DeLuxe model different than an Aristocrat model? Both seem to be premium, in cases. Was the Aristocrat(Old Type) produces during the same time as the DeLuxe was produced? Just thinking out loud.
You and I think alike, words matter. Whether a product is actually a luxury become dependent upon what one has used previous.

Top Bottom