What's new

Grooming Dept club

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No apparently some artisan is selling a "your custom brush" for $1000. Soaps and AS's are probably next.
This makes me laugh. Rudy Vey will make anyone a custom brush for a lot less than a thousand bucks. So will any of our vendors. I know, I’ve got 2.

WOW!! It just can't possibly get any better than this shave:

New Karve Razor with A plate
Grooming Dept. Pre-Shave
Grooming Dept. Mandarin Bay
24mm Declaration Knot B4
Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Grooming Dept. Post Shave

IMG_1561.jpg

This makes me laugh. Rudy Vey will make anyone a custom brush for a lot less than a thousand bucks. So will any of our vendors. I know, I’ve got 2.

I’ll bet he would make one for over $1000 too if you ask him. Bring on the precious metals and diamonds! Some folks buy golden toilets. Not naming names.

Declaration's legacy bison base is my favorite soap, and I've got a ton. I believe I've got all of the scents he (or Chatillon Lux) has made in that base, except Southern Paradise and Original. I've got several Icarus base soaps as well, but they don't perform as well for me in my hand.

I haven't met a Declaration bison soap with a scent I don't like. Scott has told me that he intends to use Icarus exclusively for new scents. If so, the number of scents available in the older base will be limited. I'm not concerned, in part because I like the legacy scents, but also because I've got backups for most of them, and backups of backups for several of them.

proxy.php

I find it amazing that the man behind Grooming Department runs his business the way he does. Even more amazing is that he has any customers at all considering that buying his products has got to be the single most difficult buying experience endeavor in the wet-shaving world.

Buying Grooming Department products makes learning to shave with a straight razor look like child's play.

I've heard he's been given good business advice but hasn't listened to it (that's in the nature of a rumor and you shouldn't listen to it).

Excellent points.

View attachment 942495

I knew there would be a YMMV post backed up by experience. Our whiskers and skin and whatever else is involved in our response to products mandates YMMV.

I don't hear anyone saying technique and experience are immaterial and overridden by any soap or preshave product nor do I hear anyone claiming any product to be a universal panacea.

View attachment 942512

I hear what Gus is saying loud and clear. What you're saying doesn't negate it (nor am I saying you thing it does). I'm interested in your view as much as I'm interested in Gus's. I would hope all of us understand that our reviews and our honest and experienced based opinions whether they agree or not add to the overall conversation, including yours of course.

The views that really get me are of the sort that bad mouth or praise something as yet untried.

Very limited!

I'm used a great many shaving soaps. I have a small top tier group. There are also soaps I find worthless and terrible and not worth using. However, a great many of the soaps I've used are only a quarter notch or a half notch below my top tier soaps; I like the top tier soaps better but would be fine if the only soaps available were a half notch below them.

View attachment 942494

I've used only samples of GD soaps. The first one I used I found to be about on the level of my top tier soaps; not a big deal, but still an excellent soap. However, the second of the GD soaps has fairly blown my mind. If I were to write a review of it (which I don't have enough experience with it to do yet) my review would be gushing and congratulatory to anyone using it and to its creator. It is in another league and not just by a little bit.

It's in another league in another way, too...

proxy.php

I've not used the GD preshave. Why? Well, you know why.

The bottom line so far for me is easy.
  • The GD business model seems to really suck eggs.
  • Is it a business? I doubt it. If it is, it is a very strange way of doing things.
  • The products are always sold out.
  • I'd love to try the preshave and am very grateful for the interesting reviews I've read.
  • I'd love to be able to buy a tub or two of the soap I'm currently sampling (Lusso based).
  • Why oh why won't Mo change his business model and produce more product?
  • YMMV is always true, but I think the Lusso soap is the best I've ever used by a long shot (that's only an early and preliminary opinion, but it is my opinion).
Thanks, Gus, for a great thread.

The bear meme at the top adds nothing to my post, but I thought it was a kinda cute meme. Maybe I should delete it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That’s well said. I’m in tune with pretty much everything you had to say there amigo. I would like to post a quick take here on what were my intentions to the thread and my posts. I believe that there are some that believe I’m taking a shot against the standing that Shave technique is overshadowed by skin products in general. That couldn’t be further from the truth...

All things being equal in terms to skill, products pre and post, technique is the downright clear foundation for a shaver for achieving a close and comfortable shave. There are no amount of products that can save one from a bad shave due to improper shave skill or technique. That’s not even up for debate. There is no miracle elixir, cream, compound or serum that can take a bad shave and elevate or improve it to shave god status. Doesn’t exist, period.

However, one needs to question and come to the realization of what a man does when he takes a razor and performs the unnatural act of running a honed and sharpened piece of steel across his face. The tool of choice and goal for any shaver regardless of format, whether it be a straight, de, se or an injector, is to remove the whiskers in as comfortable and efficient manner as possible. The razor cuts the hairs, removes dead skin cells and also, whether you want to believe it of not, will take away live and healthy skin cells as well.

So, my posts comes down to really a simple question and suggestion. As I stated earlier, all things being equal, would a shaver not want perhaps a bit more of protection in whatever preshave cream or soap product he uses with the added benefit that there are ingredients in said product that have been scientifically proven to promote healing, skin rejuvenation and providing protection for ones skin? I think it’s logical to say that most shavers would say yes. I know that I would and do. Who doesn’t want healthy and good looking skin?

My intent was not to put product versus skill or that I need help from a product to improve my shaving form. What it has helped is my skin, provide a bit more glide and protection for my shaves and improve the performance of average soaps.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
That’s well said. I’m in tune with pretty much everything you had to say there amigo. I would like to post a quick take here on what were my intentions to the thread and my posts. I believe that there are some that believe I’m taking a shot against the standing that Shave technique is overshadowed by skin products in general. That couldn’t be further from the truth...

All things being equal in terms to skill, products pre and post, technique is the downright clear foundation for a shaver for achieving a close and comfortable shave. There are no amount of products that can save one from a bad shave due to improper shave skill or technique. That’s not even up for debate. There is no miracle elixir, cream, compound or serum that can take a bad shave and elevate or improve it to shave god status. Doesn’t exist, period.

However, one needs to question and come to the realization of what a man does when he takes a razor and performs the unnatural act of running a honed and sharpened piece of steel across his face. The tool of choice and goal for any shaver regardless of format, whether it be a straight, de, se or an injector, is to remove the whiskers in as comfortable and efficient manner as possible. The razor cuts the hairs, removes dead skin cells and also, whether you want to believe it of not, will take away live and healthy skin cells as well.

So, my posts comes down to really a simple question and suggestion. As I stated earlier, all things being equal, would a shaver not want perhaps a bit more of protection in whatever preshave cream or soap product he uses with the added benefit that there are ingredients in said product that have been scientifically proven to promote healing, skin rejuvenation and providing protection for ones skin? I think it’s logical to say that most shavers would say yes. I know that I would and do. Who doesn’t want healthy and good looking skin?

My intent was not to put product versus skill or that I need help from a product to improve my shaving form. What it has helped is my skin, provide a bit more glide and protection for my shaves and improve the performance of average soaps.
+1

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I'm on the same page, Gus.

upload_2019-1-12_19-34-18.png

I'm pretty sure both of us know how to shave, but how to shave with more comfort, more efficiency, and less damage is an ongoing quest.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Harmony (Icarus) is a powdery, nag champa scent. Bandwagon (original) is my favorite barbershop scent; it has a spicy quality to it that I really enjoy.

Gratiot League Square is my go to winter scent paired with Chatillon Lux AS and EdT. It is a wonderful leather/tobacco scent with spices. This has become my everyday driver this winter. I get lots of compliments at work.

Fourth and Pine is one of my favorite summer citrus scents. I also pair it with the matching Chatillon Lux AS and EdT.

I believe you can get samples of both of these soaps through Maggards if you want to try before buying full tubs.

Harmony (Icarus) is a powdery, nag champa scent. Bandwagon (original) is my favorite barbershop scent; it has a spicy quality to it that I really enjoy.

From Harmony I get light spice and no Nag Champa. Bandwagon to me smelled like flowers on burning sheet metal.

Hey there. For those of you who are interested (and I assume if you’re reading this you probably are) it looks like Mo has an unannounced pre-order for a soap in the Lusso base. I’d check it out and see if it appeals to you. I tried Coattails in the Lusso base and thought it was great. I’m doing the annual sabbatical or I would’ve already placed my order.

I have tried many Grooming Department soaps but currently have none in my collection as I found the scents way too strong for my personal taste. I was intrigued by the discussions of his pre shave product and was lucky enough to land a jar of unscented product on its initial release.

I have been using the product daily for the past two weeks. Honestly I initially noticed no significant improvement in my shave besides post shave feel. As mentioned by others on this thread there is no need for post shave balms after using this product even in the cold, windy, Midwest. I have also found that the pre shave has made some of my second tier soaps perform better by eliminating their post shave dryness.

I have been experimenting with amount of pre shave applied and have come to the realization that I may not have been using enough product initially. My last few shaves I have increased the amount of product used and have found myself checking to make sure I actually have a blade in my razor as it glides effortlessly over my skin. Now that I seem to have dialed in the amount of product to use I am interested to see if I notice any improvement with my straight razor shaves which are undoubtedly affected by my technique.

Hey there. For those of you who are interested (and I assume if you’re reading this you probably are) it looks like Mo has an unannounced pre-order for a soap in the Lusso base. I’d check it out and see if it appeals to you. I tried Coattails in the Lusso base and thought it was great. I’m doing the annual sabbatical or I would’ve already placed my order.

The un-announced release, like yesterday's sudden popping up of a Lusso soap, is a new concept. Mohammad calls it 'surprise drop'!

Top Bottom