What's new

Grooming Dept club

What I’ve gathered reading this thread:

1) The guys who have used it, like it and find it beneficial.
2) The guys who haven’t used it, don’t like it and find it useless.

It seems we are yet to find the guy that has actually used the product and finds it useless.

I respect everyone’s opinions here at B&B but when it comes to opinions on specific products, I tend to respect the opinions of those who have actually used those products a little more than those who haven’t.

Furthermore, having perfect technique and using products that you enjoy are not mutually exclusive.

I haven't tried eating poisonous mushrooms either, but I'm pretty sure they're not good for me.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Yes, but you can do that with a simple layer of Noxema under a layer of mediocre soap.
That's what I do, and I buy the generic equate at walmart for less than $3.00 for 12oz jar. It's a great face wash to use also..

Count me as a guy who is currently using it and don’t find it to be a life changer. My shaves are no better or worse than if I didn’t use the pre shave. I fall into the category like some others that technique is more important, and once you have that down, it will solve a lot of problems you may be having. I’ll continue using my jar until it’s gone but I won’t buy anymore.

I think it’s ok that some users speak of it like it’s a miracle cure, and I think if you want to try it, you should try to get some. Just be cautious and willing to accept that it might not make your shaves any better.

Count me as a guy who is currently using it and don’t find it to be a life changer. My shaves are no better or worse than if I didn’t use the pre shave. I fall into the category like some others that technique is more important, and once you have that down, it will solve a lot of problems you may be having. I’ll continue using my jar until it’s gone but I won’t buy anymore.

I think it’s ok that some users speak of it like it’s a miracle cure, and I think if you want to try it, you should try to get some. Just be cautious and willing to accept that it might not make your shaves any better.
Yes! The YMMV factor finally appears.

I have two words for you.

Cognitive dissonance.

This is the case.

I don't want to blame you. We've all been there at some point in our wet shaving journey.

Also, if you think that a pre-shave really offers superior shaves, your technique is not good enough. End of story.
SO you just throw water on, then instantly shave with no wait time? No prep? I get my best shaves with water, without water I find lacking, but having to use it just shows others lack of skill I guess :001_tt2:

How does it effect the feel of your face post shave? That is where I have noticed a difference.

The shave itself is about the same as if I had used my normal grape seed oil & glycerin mix.

How does it effect the feel of your face post shave? That is where I have noticed a difference.

The shave itself is about the same as if I had used my normal grape seed oil & glycerin mix.

The post shave feel, is also where I find the pre-shave really shines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

I just think he needs someone with a business mind to set a structure and business strategy plan to help him lay a foundation for success and let Mohammed do what he does best and that's create. That way he doesn't have to worry about building and organizing. Just my $.02 worth.....

I find it amazing that the man behind Grooming Department runs his business the way he does. Even more amazing is that he has any customers at all considering that buying his products has got to be the single most difficult buying experience endeavor in the wet-shaving world.

Buying Grooming Department products makes learning to shave with a straight razor look like child's play.

I've heard he's been given good business advice but hasn't listened to it (that's in the nature of a rumor and you shouldn't listen to it).

What I’ve gathered reading this thread:

1) The guys who have used it, like it and find it beneficial.
2) The guys who haven’t used it, don’t like it and find it useless.

It seems we are yet to find the guy that has actually used the product and finds it useless.

I respect everyone’s opinions here at B&B but when it comes to opinions on specific products, I tend to respect the opinions of those who have actually used those products a little more than those who haven’t.

Furthermore, having perfect technique and using products that you enjoy are not mutually exclusive.

Excellent points.

upload_2019-1-11_8-10-15.jpeg

I knew there would be a YMMV post backed up by experience. Our whiskers and skin and whatever else is involved in our response to products mandates YMMV.

I don't hear anyone saying technique and experience are immaterial and overridden by any soap or preshave product nor do I hear anyone claiming any product to be a universal panacea.

upload_2019-1-11_8-28-32.png

I hear what Gus is saying loud and clear. What you're saying doesn't negate it (nor am I saying you thing it does). I'm interested in your view as much as I'm interested in Gus's. I would hope all of us understand that our reviews and our honest and experienced based opinions whether they agree or not add to the overall conversation, including yours of course.

The views that really get me are of the sort that bad mouth or praise something as yet untried.

What is your experience with Grooming Department products?

Very limited!

I'm used a great many shaving soaps. I have a small top tier group. There are also soaps I find worthless and terrible and not worth using. However, a great many of the soaps I've used are only a quarter notch or a half notch below my top tier soaps; I like the top tier soaps better but would be fine if the only soaps available were a half notch below them.

1-9-19.Peacock.GD.ChypreVert.640.Kit..JPG

I've used only samples of GD soaps. The first one I used I found to be about on the level of my top tier soaps; not a big deal, but still an excellent soap. However, the second of the GD soaps has fairly blown my mind. If I were to write a review of it (which I don't have enough experience with it to do yet) my review would be gushing and congratulatory to anyone using it and to its creator. It is in another league and not just by a little bit.

It's in another league in another way, too...

proxy.php

I've not used the GD preshave. Why? Well, you know why.

The bottom line so far for me is easy.
  • The GD business model seems to really suck eggs.
  • Is it a business? I doubt it. If it is, it is a very strange way of doing things.
  • The products are always sold out.
  • I'd love to try the preshave and am very grateful for the interesting reviews I've read.
  • I'd love to be able to buy a tub or two of the soap I'm currently sampling (Lusso based).
  • Why oh why won't Mo change his business model and produce more product?
  • YMMV is always true, but I think the Lusso soap is the best I've ever used by a long shot (that's only an early and preliminary opinion, but it is my opinion).
Thanks, Gus, for a great thread.

The bear meme at the top adds nothing to my post, but I thought it was a kinda cute meme. Maybe I should delete it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

I find it amazing that the man behind Grooming Department runs his business the way he does. Even more amazing is that he has any customers at all considering that buying his products has got to be the single most difficult buying experience endeavor in the wet-shaving world.

Buying Grooming Department products makes learning to shave with a straight razor look like child's play.

I've heard he's been given good business advice but hasn't listened to it (that's in the nature of a rumor and you shouldn't listen to it).

Excellent points.

View attachment 942495

I knew there would be a YMMV post backed up by experience. Our whiskers and skin and whatever else is involved in our response to products mandates YMMV.

I don't hear anyone saying technique and experience are immaterial and overridden by any soap or preshave product nor do I hear anyone claiming any product to be a universal panacea.

View attachment 942512

I hear what Gus is saying loud and clear. What you're saying doesn't negate it (nor am I saying you thing it does). I'm interested in your view as much as I'm interested in Gus's. I would hope all of us understand that our reviews and our honest and experienced based opinions whether they agree or not add to the overall conversation, including yours of course.

The views that really get me are of the sort that bad mouth or praise something as yet untried.

Very limited!

I'm used a great many shaving soaps. I have a small top tier group. There are also soaps I find worthless and terrible and not worth using. However, a great many of the soaps I've used are only a quarter notch or a half notch below my top tier soaps; I like the top tier soaps better but would be fine if the only soaps available were a half notch below them.

View attachment 942494

I've used only samples of GD soaps. The first one I used I found to be about on the level of my top tier soaps; not a big deal, but still an excellent soap. However, the second of the GD soaps has fairly blown my mind. If I were to write a review of it (which I don't have enough experience with it to do yet) my review would be gushing and congratulatory to anyone using it and to its creator. It is in another league and not just by a little bit.

It's in another league in another way, too...

proxy.php

I've not used the GD preshave. Why? Well, you know why.

The bottom line so far for me is easy.
  • The GD business model seems to really suck eggs.
  • Is it a business? I doubt it. If it is, it is a very strange way of doing things.
  • The products are always sold out.
  • I'd love to try the preshave and am very grateful for the interesting reviews I've read.
  • I'd love to be able to buy a tub or two of the soap I'm currently sampling (Lusso based).
  • Why oh why won't Mo change his business model and produce more product?
  • YMMV is always true, but I think the Lusso soap is the best I've ever used by a long shot (that's only an early and preliminary opinion, but it is my opinion).
Thanks, Gus, for a great thread.

The bear meme at the top adds nothing to my post, but I thought it was a kinda cute meme. Maybe I should delete it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’m fairly miffed by this business strategy as well. A few months ago I was thinking about trying one of the soaps and there was not a single one available. Then i read this glowing review about the pre-shave and went to go buy it...nothing! The same day this thread was posted it was already sold out. Now, i understand that exclusivity in itself can be a business model and i have a feeling that the quality of the soaps (seemigly very high) and the scarcity of product have combined to make his soaps very sought after. As a customer i hate it, but i can understand the logic in always being understocked then releasing a very limited run of a new product. It builds the hype.

I don't think Mo wants to be understocked or intentionally tries to "build hype". If he was concerned with "building hype," he'd probably be better at the business part.

I think he has a lot of ideas and, being only one person, he can only supply demand so much. He could follow a more traditional model and only make soaps with two bases (tallow & vegan) and a handful of scents. Maybe that would help keep his stock up? But he's self employed. The beauty of being self employed is doing things the way you want to do them. So he experiments, makes a bunch of different bases, tries new scents, explores potential new products, etc. It's probably keeps things interesting for him. I'm a self employed professional musician, so I totally get it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’m fairly miffed by this business strategy as well. A few months ago I was thinking about trying one of the soaps and there was not a single one available. Then i read this glowing review about the pre-shave and went to go buy it...nothing! The same day this thread was posted it was already sold out. Now, i understand that exclusivity in itself can be a business model and i have a feeling that the quality of the soaps (seemigly very high) and the scarcity of product have combined to make his soaps very sought after. As a customer i hate it, but i can understand the logic in always being understocked then releasing a very limited run of a new product. It builds the hype.

He should raise his prices substantially, use the money to hire and lavishly pay staff, and increase production. He could make a lot of money with his products I believe.

He's not remotely topped out on the demand curve.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't think Mo wants to be understocked or intentionally tries to "build hype". If he was concerned with "building hype," he'd probably be better at the business part.

I think he has a lot of ideas and, being only one person, he can only supply demand so much. He could follow a more traditional model and only make soaps with two bases (tallow & vegan) and a handful of scents. Maybe that would help keep his stock up? But he's self employed. The beauty of being self employed is doing things the way you want to do them. So he experiments, makes a bunch of different bases, tries new scents, explores potential new products, etc. It's probably keeps things interesting for him. I'm a self employed professional musician, so I totally get it.

That is an odd way to do business then. I just assumed it was more to keep new, “must try” products coming out so people will snap them up. But hey, if he really loves making new kinds of soap and that’s the reason more power to him. Always nice to see someone who loves what they do!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That P160 is also being sold for charity. So very likely could be a tax write off for someone.

Top Bottom