What's new

Straight Wanted

Hi guys,

I’m looking for a straight razor, I know nothing about them, I love DE shaving but the straight razor pull is getting to much for me to ignore now.
Does anyone have a shave ready straight razor for sale? I have a budget of around £50. I plan on keeping it for many years so I don’t require a basic beginner straight I’d rather get a good straight and of good quality, you probably know better than me what I’m looking for!! I’m open to advice on sizes etc. I’m also looking for a strop if you can bundle the 2 items.
Probably better if the seller is in the UK so postage is cheaper.

Can’t help with UK, but whipped dog sells shave ready vintage razors as well as starter strops too. Seems like you’ll haven better success there honestly.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi guys,

I’m looking for a straight razor, I know nothing about them, I love DE shaving but the straight razor pull is getting too much for me to ignore now.

Does anyone have a shave ready straight razor for sale?

I have a budget of around £50. I plan on keeping it for many years so I don’t require a basic beginner straight I’d rather get a good straight and of good quality, you probably know better than me what I’m looking for!! I’m open to advice on sizes etc. I’m also looking for a strop if you can bundle the 2 items.
Probably better if the seller is in the UK so postage is cheaper.

There are many really good straight razors sold on eBay for under $20. I have several of them and frankly don't see that they're any less great as shavers than the straights sold on eBay for a lot more money. I have some sold for a lot more money so I'm talking from experience.

Problem is this. Are they truly sharp?

That's also a problem with most razors purchased from vendors on eBay and brick and mortar stores and online stores. Just because they say the razor is shave ready doesn't mean a half-good honer like me can't make the edge significantly better.

There's a lot to learning the straight razor, but only a few principles. Here are a few in a nutshell, link. It's not that you can't find someone to help you by honing your razor. You might want to hang out on the SR forums for a bit, too.

There are razors (honed and shave ready) which show up here sometimes, but most of them seem to me to be upper end and expensive compared to my purse and what I find on eBay. Not saying razors sold here are not good values, just that they're upscale usually.

Good luck and happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. I hope the next poster offers just what you are looking for.

Top Bottom