What's new

Penhaligon's sample request is a joke

I recently wrote an email explaining that I am interested in some of their scents. Today when I looked in the mail I saw an envelope that had one sample in it. THATS IT ONE!!!! It wasn't even cologne it was perfume. :mad:
WHAT THE HELL I thought to myself. I wonder if I had the luxury of getting a disgruntled employee. :frown:

I recently wrote an email explaining that I am interested in some of their scents. Today when I looked in the mail I saw an envelope that had one sample in it. THATS IT ONE!!!! It wasn't even cologne it was perfume. :mad:
WHAT THE HELL I thought to myself. I wonder if I had the luxury of getting a disgruntled employee. :frown:

I am not sure. Honestly, getting free samples from a company is always a gamble but that doesn't sound like Penhaligon's normal routine. When I first got my Penhaligon's scents, I expressed interest in mainly the Blenheim and the Hammam Bouquet. They sent me EF, Douro, Edy, and Racquets. I called back and asked them if they could send me some samples of the Hammam and Blenheim. They sent me THREE samples of Hammam and only one of Blenheim. I was happy because quite frankly, Blenheim just doesn't put the eggs on my plate.

Call back and explain your situation, and ask, politely. Kindness goes a long way.

I received samples of their whole scent library - male and female. It took a long time to come mind you.

I got a few different samples but they were all haphazardly thrown into a paper envelope with no padding or anything. Why they all didn't break is beyond me.

When I asked for some samples they directed me to the library they are selling. At the time I thought meh it is not that expensive... But now... I know I could have used those 20 dls to buy Habit Rouge or Mambo or something :mad3:

I received samples of all of their scents. They came about a month ago. It's hard deciding which one is my favorite.

DaveS:cool:

I recently requested samples from Penhaligons and literally 6-7 days later I got a package with samples of all their cologones....very impressed.

I recently requested samples from Penhaligons and literally 6-7 days later I got a package with samples of all their cologones....very impressed.

+1- I called and told them that their scent library didn't have all the ones I wanted- they just told me to tell them over the phone which I was interested in. I spouted off 8-10 and within 5 days the package arrived with every scent I was interested in- no charge.

i went to the penhaligons web page, i went to request the scent library (10 vials, 5 men 5 womens) and it was 15 pounds for the sampler, and 20 pounds for shipping to spain, thats when i hit cancel,

They asked me what scents I wanted. In fact, here is the actual e-mail.

From Penhaligons, with my last name removed:

Dear Josh,

We do provide samples. Kindly provide your address and fragrance you are interested in and
we will send them for you .

Thank you,
Penhaligon's Customer Service

I got samples of everything they make...men's and women's.
It arrived about a week after I requested them in a nice, padded envelope.

....But, it wasn't easy.

I first requested some of their samples back in Nov. '07....to no avail.

Then I requested some more around Dec. '07....and got the email about their sampler.

Then, I wrote a rather nasty email inquiring as to who or what I would have to kill in order to get some samples and explaining that I would indeed buy some of their cologne, but ONLY if I got some free stuff.......and voila, about a week later, this envelope brimming with samples arrived in my mailbox.

...Indeed, it was magical.

I got samples of everything they make...men's and women's.
It arrived about a week after I requested them in a nice, padded envelope.

....But, it wasn't easy.

I first requested some of their samples back in Nov. '07....to no avail.

Then I requested some more around Dec. '07....and got the email about their sampler.

Then, I wrote a rather nasty email inquiring as to who or what I would have to kill in order to get some samples and explaining that I would indeed buy some of their cologne, but ONLY if I got some free stuff.......and voila, about a week later, this envelope brimming with samples arrived in my mailbox.

...Indeed, it was magical.

It took me two or three times to get them, too. I suppose death threats work, as well :lol:

You've got to keep in mind Penhaligon's is actually a really, really small company, and samples are extremely time consuming (to make and to send) and expensive.

I requested some shaving cream samples early last week .. what I ended up getting were like 10 cologne samples in a brown envelope with bubble wrap lining. Most of the samples were in a cardboard holder, but a few weren't and one of those broke. All of the vials are also printed with the name of the sample.

Not that I'm complaining ... the sample vials are quite large -- even bigger than Creed's sample vials. I really liked the Blenheim Bouquet -- nice floral with a sharp edge -- exactly what I would expect to get from a UK barbershop.

Buuuuut, I ordered shaving cream samples ... I never mentioned cologne. Maybe they are sending the shaving cream samples in a separate envelope? Nonetheless, they were very generous with me.

I just received mine today. I received nine LARGE tubes of cologne - i think its one of everything.....I too asked for shaving samples, but received only cologne. the tubes are at least double the size of what I received from GF Trumper

not a complaint from me, either.

You've got to keep in mind Penhaligon's is actually a really, really small company, and samples are extremely time consuming (to make and to send) and expensive.

So you are saying because they are a small company they can choose to insult customers. I would think that they would be more than happy to help potential buyers.

Penhaligon's offers their Scent Sampler for a very reasonable $20USD.

I'm not affiliated with them but I do find whining about "not getting something for free" to sound like entitlement.

They owe us nothing. Yes, free samples can be a good way to attract business. But they are a long-established company that probably doesn't need to attract new customers.

From the above posts, too, it sounds that politely requesting free samples is more likely to meet with that request being granted.

Top Bottom