What's new

Personna Super Stainless Injector Razor

Well, good folks in SE Land, I have good news this morning.

For several months I have owned a mint Personna Super Stainless Injector razor, circa 1970. It is attractive, slightly resembling the sexy-looking Pal Adjustable SE razor. The problem is that the Personna Super Stainless razor is hyper aggressive and I have been unable to get a decent shave without a literal bloodbath. I have the experience and the knowledge, but no success, with this razor and my 76 year old coarse beard.

However, I tried something new this morning and I believe I now see a light in the dark tunnel. I did a thorough prep, installed a new "Chick" blade, and went to work. I normally do a traditional 3 pass shave but not today. I did a 2 pass shave and both passes were "north to south." Of course I used a VERY light pressure and shaved SLOWLY.

Anyway, I'm sitting here with an outstanding close shave, and perhaps more important, with zero cuts or weepers. Apparently this razor does not authorize E to W or S to N stokes, and it lets you know if you violate that requirement.

Anyone else have info or experience with the 1970 Personna Super Stainless injector razor, the one that looks like the little brother to the Pal Adjustable razor? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Interesting, I have one of those I picked up a couple years back when I was trying to try every injector ever. Mr recollection was that this one was so mild I wrote it off like its contemporaries, the latter model non-adjustable Schick's. Think I'll dig it out and give it another whirl

GaryG

I wonder if we are talking about the same razor? There are several Personna Injectors from that era, as I remember.

Mine is 4 1/4 inches long and is solid stainless steel on the top. Looks kinda "space age" or modern in design.

garyg

This is the one I have ...
$IMG_6614.JPG

And that's the one I have. It is interesting that you rate it mild and I rate it hyper-aggressive. Lemme know how the next shave with it goes.

garyg

Used it today, with a freshly loaded modern Personna from the last group buy. It still took a bit of extra work over my Schick Type M set wide open, but with some patience a good shave. Still not uber aggressive for me though ..

GaryG,

If I read you correctly, you used a modern Personna blade. I've used only made-in-China Schick's in my Personna razor, which work beautifully in my other injector razors. Maybe that is why you and I are having different shave experiences with this circa 1970 Personna Stainless Steel razor? Maybe I should get some Personna blades?? Maybe the Personna Stainless Steel razor is "blade sensitive?"

Let's reverse it. How do the Personna blades work in your Schick Injectors? Better, worse, or the same as the made-in-China Schick's?

I love Injectors. So all this is very interesting to me. I have about 10 Schick Injectors. My favorites are The Type G and the Type I and the Adjustable of course. I also love "The Grip" (the tennis racket handle one), though it is mild.

They all get along marvelously with my face, except this Personna razor with a Schick blade really is HARSH.

Last edited:

garyg

GaryG,

If I read your correctly, you used a modern Personna blade. I've used only made-in-China Schick's in my Personna razor, which work beautifully in my other injector razors. Maybe that is why you and I are having different shave experiences with this circa 1970 Personna Stainless Steel razor? Maybe I should get some Personna blades?? Maybe the Personna Stainless Steel razor is "blade sensitive?"

Let's reverse it. How do the Personna blades work in your Schick Injectors? Better, worse, or the same as the made-in-China Schick's?

I love Injectors. So all this is very interesting to me. I have about 10 Schick Injectors. My favorites are The Type G and the Type I and the Adjustable of course. I also love "The Grip" (the tennis racket handle one), though it is mild.

They all get along marvelously with my face, except this Personna razor with a Schick blade really is HARSH.

I've not noticed blade sensitivity between injectors, and use the modern personna's, Chicks, Schick Plus Plats, and for a treat some old Personna 74's that I have hoarded. Of those, the new Personna's are my least favorite, though far and away the most cost-effective. I'm an injector fan as well, with a couple dozen in the drawer. The Schick Adjustable is my favorite, followed by the Type E

GaryG,

Ah, the Type E. That was the only other razor (out of my 55 DE and SE razors) I had some difficulty with. But I learned the secret with the E was to shave with super SLOW strokes. The E and I get along ok now. I'm happy about that as the E (manufactured between 1935 and 1945) is my "birth year" injector razor and I really wanted to like it. I was born in 1936.

Anyway, last night I ordered a pack of Personna injector blades, and I'm anxious to see if they will tame my Personna razor. I'll let you know.

There is something to be said for using a brand A blade with a brand A razor. I hear a lot of bad-mouthing of Merkur blades. They are very good in all my Merkur razors, but average in all my other DE razors. Life (and shaving) can be interesting.

In the big picture of razordom, there is probably not a serious and knowledgeable shaver out there with a large collection who doesn't have at least one razor that is hostile to his face for no apparent reason. And that razor may be a pussycat to most others.

Thanks for your guidance and thoughts.

Top Bottom