• Rose

• Lemon-Lime

• Alvacodo

• Shaving Shop

• Eton College Collection

• Mr. Taylor

• St. James Collection

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've decided to try some shaving cream for a change and I had a couple of questions.

1. I usually get three to four months out of a cake of Col. Conk's probably a little more than that now that I'm using the method described in the how-to on the wiki. I was wondering if I can expect a tub of cream to last that long if I use a snurdle for each shave (I usually shave during the week and leave off the weekends)

2 I'm planning on trying Taylor of Old Bond Street first, since I've never tried these, I thought I'd use a poll to pick a scent.

What kind of scents do you typically like? It's such a subjective thing... and there isn't a single stinker in the whole TOBS lineup, although each of the cologne scents has its share of fans and detractors.

You can probably expect it to not last quite as long as a typical soap. But... your SCAD will kick in long before you're completely finished with the tub, so don't worry about it. :tongue:

What kind of scents do you typically like? It's such a subjective thing... and there isn't a single stinker in the whole TOBS lineup, although each of the cologne scents has its share of fans and detractors.

You can probably expect it to not last quite as long as a typical soap. But... your SCAD will kick in long before you're completely finished with the tub, so don't worry about it. :tongue:

I'm addicted to bay rum but I don't thing TOBS offers one. Help me out ... what's SCAD?

thanks!

I've only smelled/tried rose and St. James. I voted rose, because I absolutely love it (and use it year round), but it really is a subjective thing. Thankfully, TOBS is comparatively cheap enough that it's not a total loss if you order something that you end up not liking. And there are certainly plenty of members who would be willing to take a tub or two off your hands should you not like the scent.

Absolutely Avocado for the scent! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Shave Shop for its awesome lather and moisturizing qualities :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Sandlewood and Eton are my votes. I prefer a stronger scented cream that have a shiny/oily like base to avoid the dry winter months. These two fit the bill nicely. Alvacodo seem to have a strong following and personally looking to try some. Seems odd putting food on my face however.

I've tried both the Avocado and the Eton College, and I prefer the Avocado. both are light fragrances. If you like Bay Rum, Taylor's also has a really good Bay Rum aftershave splash - I think Classic Shaving sells it. I got a half full bottle on the BST forum, and it is my current second favorite Bay Rum after the Bigelow Bay Rum AS balm.
Honestly, though, at ~$13.50 for a whole tub, this is truly one of those products you can't go wrong. I'm not saying this in terms of you are going to love it. But if you don't love it, I would be incredibly surprised if you could not sell it here on the BST forum, or even trade it for a different Taylor scent. Taylors gets generally very high marks on here, and there are lots of people who will either love the scent you are trying to sell/trade, or who will want to try a new one because they have heard such good things (with good reason) about the Taylor's products.

I recently shaved with 2 products in 2 consecutive days; Castle & Forbes Lavender Oil shave cream and TOBS Rose cream. I have to say the TOBS is priced at a fraction of the C&F and provided just as good a shave. The TOBS was $13 a tub, the C&F was $35 a tub. Now granted, C&F uses top shelf ingredients and smells fantastic, but it didn't really provide a noticeably better shave. It provides a fantastic shave, but so does the TOBS.

As far as I'm concerned, TOBS is the best value available in a cream.

Steve

I've decided to try some shaving cream for a change and I had a couple of questions.

1. I usually get three to four months out of a cake of Col. Conk's probably a little more than that now that I'm using the method described in the how-to on the wiki. I was wondering if I can expect a tub of cream to last that long if I use a snurdle for each shave (I usually shave during the week and leave off the weekends)

2 I'm planning on trying Taylor of Old Bond Street first, since I've never tried these, I thought I'd use a poll to pick a scent.

hey bud,

i've tries every single one of their scents. TOBS is my favorite. In my opinion here are my fav

1. Rose
2. Avocado (close 1st)
3. St. James (cologne like scent, very refereshing)
4. Shave Shop (smells like lemon meringue to me)
5. Eton College (smells like grafton by T&H)

hopes this helps....but if you can get only one cream it would be Rose or Avocado...you cannot go wrong with either. Enjoy! and Happy Holidays!

Is it just me, or does the Mr Taylor remind one of the Body Shop shaving cream scent?

Avocado is wonderful stuff and doesn't smell of avocado...

Gareth

I really love the St. james scent (to me it smells very very similar to shaving shop...my wife and son disagree).

Avocado smells very "fresh" to me...some love it, some don't. All agree that it is an exceptionally cushiony lather.

For some reason the taylor's creams don't agree with my face, though...perhaps the pH? Frustrating because they smell so great...

Lavendar is my daily shave cream. and the baseline for all others for me. I tried the avocado and the smell is ok but I couldn't get the lather right.

Top Bottom