What's new

Treet Blue Special: Discussion

Kyle

Thanks for a very complete,methodical and through review.

Thats one blade to cross off the list.

Wow!! Kyle that is one harsh review. Since some people seem to be raving about them. Guess I will have to put it into my rotation to see for myself.
Then again a Feather is 78% rated vs Derby 83% rated.

Kyle, thanks for the review. It is just as I suspected. I certainly shy away from a lot of blades that are offered through sampler packs. Most of those obscure blades are average to unusable. I try not to recommend these type of blades to new wetshavers.

I have had a different experience with this blade. While it is not as sharp as a Feather or even a Merkur, I have found them to be a gentler blade that will not cut me up like a Feather can. It should be noted that I have a heavy beard with a perpetual 5 O'clock shadow, so it is capable of mowing down a tough beard. That said, I have not been able to achieve as close a shave as when I use a Feather, but I've not cut myself up trying to achieve BBS either. I've been able to get four or five shaves before feeling that I had to replace the blade and with care have had no problems with the blade rusting. I'm not convinced that this blade is the ultimate or even the penultimate blade, but it is a step in the right direction.

As always . . . YMMV.

Wow!! Kyle that is one harsh review. Since some people seem to be raving about them. Guess I will have to put it into my rotation to see for myself.

Nothing more or less than my honest opinion.

Due to the fact that this blade has been so highly recommended by a couple of other established members, I gave it MANY more chances at success than I will usually allow for a poor performer. While it is, without a doubt, the coolest looking blade I've seen yet, it fails to pass muster.

I too have tried this blade on more than one occasion, and found it to be very blunt, and gave a very rough, uncomfortable shave.

*mutters something about 'YMMV'*

Kyle's review is another example of what is good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander. When I read the high praise some very experienced and knowledgeable wet shavers give the Treets and then I read Kyle's review I am reminded that my experience with the Derbys mirrors Kyle's with the Treets. The truth of YMMV is proven once again.

...my experience with the Derbys mirrors Kyle's with the Treets. The truth of YMMV is proven once again.

I shaved with the "infamous" (Three Amigos) Treet Blue Special this AM, and I can say IMO that it is on part with Derby. Three passes gave a good shave, but will reserve writing a review until I get more shaves with it.

Kyle - interesting...thanks for the review and especially for being so thorough with testing. I believe that's how reviews should be done and not just trying something a couple times then "throwing up" a review.

I used one of these blades this morning and got a great, smooth shave. These are among the best blades I have ever tried.

I'm sure long-time B&B users already know your preferences with regard to blades, however some of us have been round here for much less, me included, this is to say I'd be interested in knowing what blades Kyle and Michael like/dislike the most. Thank you!

I have used these blades for two weeks now in three different razors and have been really pleased with them. I find them as sharp and smoother than feathers. I have had my first BBS shave since I started back to the DE shaving two months ago. I can only manage 3 shaves per blade but my beard is heavy and I use at least 3 passes with extra touch ups. I think the sampler packs are the way to go for finding blades that suit the individuals shaving needs. I also like the idea that the cost per blade and ultimately cost per shave is very reasonable. I have many more blades to try from the sampler so who knows what treasures I will find.

bj

my experiences with these black beauties have been pretty good. i have found that derbys, sharps and ips give me nice irritation free shaves but cant quite mow down my neck wiskers to bbs. feathers, on the other hand, do a pretty good job on my neck but with a bit of irritation. the treet blue specials tackle my neck very well without any irritation.

i have a number of other blades to try but so far they are my favorites.

i also would be interested in kyles perferred blades as well as what he thinks of the sharps, 7ams etal...

cheers,
ryan

Wow, I don't think I ever got a shave that bad. But then again I've only been doing this for a few months now and have only tried 10 blades or so. I look forward to trying the Treet carbon sample blade I got, just to see how my experience compares to others out there...

For frame of reference, what blades out there are worse than this to you?What blades do you think are good?

Jeff

I too have tried this blade on more than one occasion, and found it to be very blunt, and gave a very rough, uncomfortable shave.

*mutters something about 'YMMV'*

+1. I was suprised to go from Feathers that seemed to melt the hairs off of my chin with no pressure to these treets where I really had to push through the hairs (resulting in bad irritation). Blunt is the word. And so is "YMMV."

I tried them for a week (new blade every day). And have since returned to my feathers.

I find these blades excellent and a great value. Very sharp and smooth for me. So they rust in a few days--throw them out. For 11.5 cents a blade, for me they are great. Way above Derbys and IPs. Right near Feathers and Sweedish G's. Isn't this wonderful? We can agree to disagree....

Could someone talk a little about the actual rusting of this blade.
Do other blades rust this fast? Is it a Treet phenomenon?
I keep hearing that the Feather lasts about 3 days, but its super sharp and it just looses its edge.

Top Bottom