What's new

Brush Chronicles #4: Semogue 1305 Boar

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!
The 4th installment of The Brush Chronicles hit Badger and Blade - Semogue 1305!

Over the course of the next two weeks we will be engaging in conversation about the Semogue 1305, which is the first boar brush to be covered in The Brush Chronicles series. Please note: I have highlighted the word we in the last sentence as this thread is intended to be a discussion about the Semogue 1305 and not an extended review. So pretty please, with sugar on top, join in the conversation :laugh:

The Semogue 1305 brush review is here.
Vendors offering the Semogue 1305 do change, so using your favorite search engine is the best bet for tracking down one of these brushes.

To me, this brush a good, solid entry-level boar or travel brush. To others it is a daily driver. Either way it is a dandy of a brush for not much money. As with any boar, this brush will require about a month of usage to really hit its performance peak, so if you have a new one don’t give up on it too soon. After the break in period you will have an exceptionally soft tipped brush that lathers like crazy. The brush will not feel soft when dry, but once the knot has been soaked - look out. This particular brush is the least stout boar brush I have used. If you are looking for the really stiff and scrubby boar you may want to consider a different brush. However, if you are looking for an affordable, small, and soft brush that will make short order of lathering soap or cream with just the right amount of "flow through" then look no further.

A fully dry 1305
proxy.php

Yep, it's broken in.
proxy.php

I will spend the first week using this product on soaps/cream that are proven solid performers in my den, such as Cella, Tabac, Palmolive, Arko, Art of Shaving, and MWF. The second week I will dig into the back of my den to dust off those products that don’t see much use or samples I am not all that familiar with, to include Gold Dachs, Tom’s of Maine, Klar Kabinett, Monsavon, Nivea, and a mystery sample. Again, join in the conversation :thumbup1:

The first product up to bat with the Semogue 1305 is Cella, which has always been an exceptional performer in my den.

Step one with this boar (or any boar for that matter) is a nice soak in water for a few minutes. I shower whilst the brush soaks.
proxy.php

Next the brush gets a "gravity drain" and then give a few gentle flicks. I start with a little drier brush than most when using a boar. I am firmly in the camp of it is easier to add water rather than soap.
proxy.php

Off to the soap puck! Usually 15 to thirty seconds is plenty to get this brush fully loaded with soap. This morning erred on the side of caution and spent a full 30 seconds loading the brush.
proxy.php

Another minute or so lathering on the visage and viola! Easy peasy lemony squeezy!
proxy.php

The first pass lather was a bit too dry today. I'm not used to taking so many pictures; I should have spent more time adding water to the mix rather than setting up the lather shot. Oh well, a face full of water and a little extra working on the second pass lathering fixed it right up. The second pass was spot on - slick and cushioning. Lately, I have been doing just two passes, so the last dollop of lather got washed down the drain.

All rinsed. I really think this picture should be entitled "Bed head" or "I need a cigarette" :tongue_sm
proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm not a brush buying fiend, but of the four I have, this is the one I really miss when I'm using something else. I don't rotate, I just give brushes a rest, but everytime I put back something else, the 1305 comes right back out.

If I had only one brush (and only a few months ago I did) it would be this one.

I also have a Semogue 620, SOC and T&H 1/2. The T&H goes unloved now, I prefer a brush to have some feel to it, and Semogue boars give me that.

My experience of the 1305 is a bit different to jkh. I find this brush is very soft, but has far more backbone than the SOC. So I would only call the 1305 'entry-level' because of the price, not performance. Yes, the SOC has even softer tips still, but if it had the bone of this brush, we might be making different comparisons.

Break-in with Semogues is a process of psychological user-breakdown; just as you are about to throw the damn things out of the window in frustration, they instantly come good. It must be a Portuguese in-joke.

Of all my Sem's this one frustrated me the most. It refused to hold water, a bugger to load, and when using creams it was pokey on the face, because the squeezed brush formed a paintbrush quill shape and refused to open up til you jammed it across your face and the cream finally made it relent. Once it got going, that one pass worth of lather was great. Then I'd need to load up again. Then repeat for 2-3 weeks solid.

I find this brush will work great with anything (they're brushes! they can do it all!) though my own favorites are TOBs Avo, Tabac, Cella, Proraso. I prefer to squeeze the brush gently, wet or shaken brushes never seem to load up well for me.

I think this is a lot of brush for few $$. I'll be lathering it up with Cella tomorrow too. Be good to read how others have gone with this one.

Last edited:
So I would only call the 1305 'entry-level' because of the price, not performance.

I couldn't agree more :thumbup1: After the second day of using this brush I am once again enamored with it. I think the marvelous lather is almost more enjoyable because I paid a pittance for the brush.

Break-in with Semogues is a process of psychological user-breakdown; just as you are about to throw the damn things out of the window in frustration, they instantly come good. It must be a Portuguese in-joke.

:lol::lol::lol:

I prefer to squeeze the brush gently, wet or shaken brushes never seem to load up well for me.

Yep. I tried starting out with a much wetter brush today - only allowing gravity to remove water from the brush. Ugh. The initial loading was so watery and messy I almost started over. I used absolutely no pressure on the soap puck. The face lathering was wet and wild :w00t: Bits of lather flying all over the bathroom. The end result was spectacular, but it felt like a very uncontrolled ride to get there. The shave was out of this world good. After the wild lathering I took my own sweet time mowing whiskers. The lather was unbelievably moist throughout the entire process. Tomorrow I am going to start out with just a slightly less we brush and attack a puck of MWF.

Oh yeah, I did two passes plus some touch up around the chin area and washed a good pass of lather down the drain. Tabac!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
The 1305 is an excellent performer.

It performs with DR Harris soaps and soft soaps & creams alike. I prefer face lathering, the 1305 takes care of business in the bowl too. It is soft when broken in & like all brushes with a wooden handle a certain amount of care is needed.

If scrubby is what you want look at the 620.

I am very fortunate to have a fine range of brushes in my arsenal; inc Shavemac, Rooney finest, Semogue 2009 LE..I look forward to the day(s) i use the 1305.

I would replace this brush immediately if anything happened to it.

I would replace this brush immediately if anything happened to it.

So would I. Or if a 1305alypse appeared imminent, two. And they'd still cost less than a slab of beer.

I failed to mention, I only face lather, so a brush has to be firm but gentle, and this one is. All my Sem's are, but this one has the best of both for me.

Great chronicle so far Jeremy. The Semo 1305 is a wonderful performer. I look forward to using it, and everytime I do, the 1305 never lets me down.
I will stay tuned to this chronicle. Thank you for your time and effort Jeremy.

It was the best of lathers, it was the worst of lathers ...

Alrighty. So, this morning I took the Boar Lathering Challenge. The goal was to load the brush for 5 seconds and then lather.

Uh oh, this doesn't look very promising
proxy.php

Hey, not bad looking, eh?
proxy.php

WRONG. Fluffy and dry. The first pass this morning was not a whole of fun. The razor wasn't gliding as it normally does. Two nicks on the chin. Normally, I would have washed this crap down the sink, but I took one for the home team. Now I am not saying you can't get good lather from this method, it just didn't work for me this morning. I think part of the problem was my MWF puck has been used for a couple of weeks, so it was pretty dry even though I pre-wet the puck.

For my next trick I will pull some lather out of this puck ...

Here we go with 30 seconds worth of loading. Perhaps this is a bit over the top, but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
proxy.php

Unfortunately, this crappy picture doesn't capture the true essence of this lather.
proxy.php

MUCH BETTER. This attempt at lathering produced the wet yogurt lather that clings to your face and provides nothing but a slippery and slick surface for the razor to glide upon.

proxy.php

I ended up with a really close shave, but my face felt a bit sore due to the first pass folly. Nothing a healthy dose of Aqua Velva wouldn't fix :thumbup1:

What a killer thread!

Great pics Jeremy! :thumbup:

Leon, over at www.vintagescent.com has a classification of "% Tops"...

my understanding is that this is the "premium" grade, which a few other of the Semogues have as well, each inexpensive.

I've got a semogue boar, but it just seems weak, although im also certain i haven't broken it in yet.

Last edited:
my understanding is that this is the "premium" grade, which a few other of the Semogues have as well, each inexpensive.

I've got a semogue boar, but it just seems week, although im also certain i haven't broken it in yet.

Yes, I gather some people don't buy into the boar 'grade' thing, but I can assure you, the 620, 1305 and SOC all have different grades and you can feel the difference, both dry on your hand, and when using them on your face.

Semogies do test your patience - stick with it.

I really think this picture should be entitled "Bed head" or "I need a cigarette" :tongue_sm
proxy.php

What a killer thread!

I am so enjoying this thread. Jeremy and Gentlemen, thank you so much for your contributions: Wry, insightful, a delight. I will pull out my 1305 tonight and get to work tomorrow so that I can join in the fun. Till then.

Just me and Jezza then?

I took some shots, then realised Jeremy had already covered Cella, but I'd already taken my shots. Might as well throw it up and show how I use this thing, which is pretty much the same as any Semogue I use. Or even my Silvertip.

One Cella and one soaked, squeezed, and flicked 1305. This brush is just damp - I can't get any more water out.

View attachment 131872

15 secs or so on the soap. Hmm, pasty.

View attachment 131873

Before the purists jump in on the visuals, I know it's not perfect perfection stamped with the seal of Utopia University. I lathered this on my hand for the sake of photo convenience, which is not my usual method, I face lather. The odd bubble betrays the fact there's probably a tad too much water, and it's little underworked. I'd still shave with it with confidence because I know I've got enough product in there, and I prefer my lather on the wet side.

View attachment 131874

Last edited:
Since I wasn't able to shave yesterday my stubble was just begging for a shave stick. I reached for Arko because it seems to be a perfect compliment for the Semogue 1305 - both products perform better than a number of products that are 10 times more expensive.

Just like peas and carrots ...
proxy.php

So, one of my favorite ways to create lather is in the shower just before I am ready to jump out. My method is to just stand with the water hitting my back/shoulders and lather as if I was standing in front of the mirror. The moist environment and over-spray seems to always lead to lather that is super hydrated with little to no effort on my part - not to mention is super relaxing to lather up in a hot shower.

proxy.php

Today'S lather, oh hell, the whole shave was just unbelievable. It was one of those shaves where everything just clicks and when you are done you understand why grown men flock to a site like Badger and Blade to talk about shaving. Arko and Semogue, great work :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I jumped in this morning with a thick layer of Speick soap, put the 1305 to work with a solid face lather. That was the underlayer. Gave the brush a squirt of Old Spice Lime for the super lather: Speick/Lime combo. Perfection. (Zero prep, just washed the face with hot water.) The 1305 delivered. Its loft is quite a bit taller than my preference, but the 1305 has great resilience and backbone so it never feels floppy. The brush is well broken in and the tips are incredibly soft. Wonderful experience.

Top Bottom