What's new

geo wostenholm and son

In a antique store today picked up a mint case gilette milady and next to her was a geo wostenholm and son boxed and in good condition (lucky store this for me as its my 5 th straight in 2 weeks) are these razors good shavers?

Sorry about photos not as good as the ones your used to on here, the top is the wosty, the other one i found friday and have no idea what is is, on the one side it says "underwood" and on the blade is "shilling hollow ground razor" and on the other side is "witness" and a eye complete with eye lashes!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion Sheffield razors are very consistent. I haven't found a brand that makes a bad hollow grind (I'm not fond of wedges). I have had a couple Geo's that were good shavers in the past and I currently have a big ol' 17/16" that is quite fun to use.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Take some pictures before you do anything with the blade!

Those are supposed to be awesome razors. I don't own one myself but I've been looking around to get my hands on one... I shouldn't, I have enough straights!

Hi -

George Wostenholm & Sons were George Wolstenholme from C. 1745 - 1815 when the name was shortened. They were at Rockingham Works Sheffield from C. 1832 then at the Washington Works, Sheffield, from 1848. They were bought out by Joseph Rodgers & Sons, Sheffield in 1971 and their trademark 'IXL' is still in use. They are rightfully considered one of Sheffield's finest makers and I have several myself.

Your other razor is a Taylor's 'Eye-Witness', probably made for a retailer by the Sheffield firm of Needham, Veall and Tyzack who have been at the Eyewitness Works, Milton Street from C. 1895 to the present day. Again, one of Sheffield's and indeed the World's finest razor makers.

Lucky you!:tongue_sm

Top Bottom