What's new

Shea Moisture Ultimate Shave Brush at Target?

I was at Target with the family this evening and saw this brush on the shelf near the shaving supplies (along with the SC) and though it was interesting. It has a black handle, and the hair looks like black badger (though at $8 I'm sure it's not). We had other agendas and a fussy baby, so I didn't have time to really examine it.

Anybody else seen this? Brave enough to try it?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was at Target with the family this evening and saw this brush on the shelf near the shaving supplies (along with the SC) and though it was interesting. It has a black handle, and the hair looks like black badger (though at $8 I'm sure it's not). We had other agendas and a fussy baby, so I didn't have time to really examine it.

Anybody else seen this? Brave enough to try it?

Maybe a test market in your area.

I did look online and found the following;

http://www.target.com/Tortoise-4-pc-Shave-Set/dp/B0007L44RW

http://www.target.com/WOOD-BRASS-PC-SHAVE-SET/dp/B0007L44RM

http://www.target.com/Solid-Brass-Piece-Shave-Set/dp/B0007L44S6

http://www.target.com/Silver-Plated-Piece-Shave-Set/dp/B0007L44SG

The Brass one is a Trac II type razor. Interesting development.

These are listed as Sold Online Only, Not Available in Stores.

Last edited:
Decent looking kits for the money. Trac II is a good razor, IMO. I will have to visit Target and try to find one of these brushes. The pics they almost look floppy or flimsy. But, being boar, they are probably decent. Who knows? Good to see wet shaving catching on. I wish our vendors here and this site increased success.

Well played, Phil.

I might buy one and check it out. $8.99 for something I will likely PIF though...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well played, Phil.

I might buy one and check it out. $8.99 for something I will likely PIF though...

They really are two different threads about the same subject, I just wanted folks interested to be able to see all the comments.
Thread 2

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just got back from Target where I picked one of these up.
It is very soft to the touch, much too soft for boar bristle.
It's way too cheap to be Badger, so based on that and all of the "organic" speak on the packaging I'm going to assume it is synthetic.
There is no information on the package or on their website about the bristle type, which again points to it being synthetic.
If it is, then I am sort of gaining a new respect for modern synthetics, not because of the "organic" or "natural" aspect, but just because of quality over cost.
I feel pretty sure that a synthetic brush has its own footprint in the chemicals and manufacturing process to make it.
I'll shave with it today and let you know how that goes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just used this brush for a shave, and I'm pretty impressed with it.
It's a bit floppy, and some may prefer it for creams over hard soaps, but it did an excellent job with Tabac, loading up well.
The more I look at it the more I'm convinced that it may NOT be synthetic. It appears to be a cheaper grade of badger hair, or if it IS synthetic, then it is a VERY good copy.
It was a bit resistant to holding water, but it was the first use of the brush and I expect that if indeed it is hair and not synthetic, that will likely change.
I only had to dip it once to freshen it up.
I think this is probably going to be my new recommended first brush over the VDH Boar I have been recommending for so long.
An O-Ring would take care of any lack of backbone issues, and for the price, I don't think you'll find something better out there.
It's cheaper than a Tweezerman, softer than a Tweezerman, and I lost no hairs, even on the first use.
The black plastic handle is quite comfortable and looks better than the wood handle of the Tweezerman.
An added plus is it doesn't float, as the Tweezerman does, so water exposure is pretty good.
Overall an amazing price for such a good brush.
It's no Simpson or even Muhle, but for about 8 bucks it's pretty darn good.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil, did it stink? Even a little?

It did to me, in a "new product, never been used" kind of way.
I can't tell if the smell was washed out badger stink or something else.
It's drying now, and I noticed it has bloomed a bit, so I'm thinking it is hair.
I'll get a few pics up in a few minutes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, I'm no photographer, that's for sure, but after several attempts, this is the best I can come up with.

Sure looks like hair to me. The "hair" on the few synthetics I've seen stand much more uniformly without a bloom.

$8? Nice value!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
didnt have one at my local Target :(

I didn't see them either, till I went scrounging. That's why I said to the OP that maybe it was a limited release.

I went back in and picked up boxes.
They were near the Shea Moisture Shave Soap, in a non-descript dark bown box with blue letters. Only the front of the box is open, so if you're not looking you will miss it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've never seen the shave soap either...what does it look like? Is it by the other shaving stuff?

Yes, it's by the nivea creams and all that rot.
The soap, or creme kinda smells funky to me, so I wasn't interested at all.
The box is so dark brownish red with dark blue writing that it kind of blends in.
If I were going to pick some colors to make my product blend in and hard to find, I'd pick those.

Box looks like this for the soap, and the brush is similar, but of course taller than wide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom