What's new

Ann Arbor/Detroit, MI

I was out looking for higher quality shaving supplies in my area and followed a hunch that bore itself out:

Maison-Edwards Tobacconist
11 Nickels Arcade
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734/662-4145

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3716056876

One whole wall of this relatively small store is dedicated to our particular addiction. Brands I noticed right away: Merkur, Truefitt & Hill, Caswell-Massey, Proraso. A couple of different brushes, but not names I recognized immediately. I'll have a more detailed report, probably by the end of the month, when I have more $$.

Directions to find Maison-Edwards:
Nickels Arcade is a small, indoor pedestrian mall that runs between State St. and Maynard St. in the campus area of Ann Arbor. Maison-Edwards is about in the middle of the arcade. Best luck for parking is at the Maynard St. structure. A map is included at the web address above. The attached pic is of the State St. entrance of the Arcade, if that'll help you find it.

Mike

Next Ann Arbor location:

Salon Vertigo
212 S Fourth Ave
Ann Arbor MI 48104

www.salonvertigo.com

They carry eShave products. Never been there, but I'm going to have to, with as much as I'm liking the eShave samples.

Mike

Novi:

In Twelve Oaks Mall @ I-94 and Novi Rd. (you can't miss it, really):

www.shoptwelveoaks.com

Crabtree & Evelyn
This store carries pretty much the full men's product line, including brushes from boar to silvertip, M3 handles, sets, and brush stands. I got my obligatory beginner's Best Badger there and will probably be returning to try some of their other stuff, maybe even pick up something nice for the wife.:biggrin:

Other stores (that I haven't shopped for shave stuff):
L'Occitane
The Body Shop
Bath & Body Works

Also, Twelve Oaks will have a Nordstrom opening soon (previously, the closest Nordstrom to the area was at the Somerset Collection in Troy... LONG way away from here).

Mike

I returned to Maison-Edwards and purchased a Merkur Classic and a 10 pack of Merkur blades and was able to do a more detailed inventory.

In addition to the lines I previously mentioned, they also stock Trumper, Pinaud, Roger & Gallet, Kent brushes, and Simpson brushes. I saw a couple shaving mugs, as well as some other brands of men's non-shave-related toiletries. Very much a hidden gem!

Mike

Thanks for the update Mike - how were the prices on the Trumpers stuff if you recall? Might be worth the drive if I am headed that way.

Wonderful place, that arcade. That shop always smelled just awesome walking by and there used to be a very, very old fashioned post office off the end that I believe is no longer there along with a trippy Perisian-flavored antique-ish store opposite the PO. My favorite diner (Franks) was just across the street from there.

Dennis

Visited Maison-Edwards today, and was quite impressed with their selection of shaving products! They had a wide selection of shaving creams from Taylors, T&H, Trumpers, Coates, Caswell and Masey, Proraso, and maybe even some others I missed. They also had the entire line of St. John's aftershaves, as well as a number of cologne and aftershave offerings from Taylor, T&H, and others. That said, for the most part you will have to pay a premium for the privilege of being able to pick it up in person. Here are some of the prices I noticed:

Trumpers SC (tube): $29.95
Taylors SC (tube): $19.95
T&H SC (tube): $19.95 (I think I am remembering that correctly)
Coates SC (tub): $50.00
St. John's Bay Rum (4 oz): $35.00 (this is actually not bad at all)
Proraso Red: $13.95

But, as I said, they really have a wide assortment, so if you are looking to check out a scent, product, etc., it is well worth a visit. I know that while I didn't buy much, I sure added to my queue of stuff to get later. And really, that queue wasn't nearly long enough already. . .

I just went to The Body Shop in Briarwood Mall, and they are having a "mix-and-match, buy 2 get one free" sale most if not all of ther men's stuff. Looks like they had shaving cream in both the tubes and tubs, as well a number of aftershaves, colognes, face prep, and moisturizers that the deal applied to.

AWESOME THREAD!!!

I had been searching for a while for shops like Maison-Edwards. Another poster directed me to a shop in Redford. That shop only had merkur product. The Nordies in Novi looks like its almost ready to go. I went to the Nordies in Troy, got a tube of T & H for $16.

I just found the Burt's Bees Bay Rum gift set at Whole Foods. It is a little pricey (29.99) but you get a great aftershave balm, a nice lip balm, an okay shaving soap (I love the smell, but the shaves I get with it are just okay) and a nice mug. I was only looking for the aftershave balm, but as that is nearly impossible to find these days, I was happy to buy the pack! If you go looking for it, you will not find it with the rest of the shaving stuff, but instead at the end of a nearby aisle.

Oh, and for those interested, they also had a few other shaving creams, like Herban Cowboy and Kiss My Face.

Thank you jesus! (not really)

I knew there had to be some stores around here to feed my new found addiction. I was just thinking that something in 12 oaks has to have something. Nords sounds promising. Going to have to make a trip out there this weekend. Maybe Ann Arbor too. Lucky me. Right in the middle of both (Brighton).

Churchill's also carries T & H, Jagger, AOS, and some other stuff! There is one in Southfield and Birmingham.

Newfie,

Any boutiqe stores in Ontario? I know there is a ton of BS cigar stores in downtown Windsor. Havent been there in a few years. Anything good off hand you can think of?

PS: Have you ever seen a drink called "Mojo" in the LCBO? Its a vodka cooler, comes in a 4 pack.

Newfie,

Any boutiqe stores in Ontario? I know there is a ton of BS cigar stores in downtown Windsor. Havent been there in a few years. Anything good off hand you can think of?

PS: Have you ever seen a drink called "Mojo" in the LCBO? Its a vodka cooler, comes in a 4 pack.

Boutique stores?? You mean selling cigars?? Of the stores downtown, there's 2 good ones, with Casa del Habanos being the nicest, but I do not pay Canadian prices for any cigars. I buy my ISOMs in Cuba, and the N/Cs come from somewhere in the US, depending on where I am.

Neither my wife or I drink coolers, but there's an LCBO close to me so I can have a look for you if you want.

I had no idea about the Ann Arbor shop, I'll have to check it out if I ever get sent back out there for work...

The Nordstroms up at Twelve Oaks is up and running, although they really don't sell anything other than the Art of Shaving products and the absurd, astronomically expensive Gillette Fusion handle. No Truefitt & Hill. ;_;
If you just want to buy the AOS consumables locally though, it's fine, just expect to get a little hawking from the sales people in that area.

If you're anywhere near the Auburn Hills area, the Great Lakes Crossing mall has a Crabtree & Evelyn outlet store, and they usually have the Nomad line of products on discount, typically a tube of cream for something like six bucks. Unfortunately they don't seem to carry the Best Badger Medium brush, they have some kind of difficulty ordering that at an outlet location, you're better off hitting the Twelve Oaks location for that. They're also lacking in the Sweet Almond Oil line, but most of the other men's shaving lineups are well represented.

Great Lakes also has a Bath and Body Works that regularly carries Proraso, as well as a Body Shop location.

Top Bottom