What's new

Discussion thread for Purpose AS balm

I have been trying ,as most of us do, many different products after I shave -alcohol based to balms and lotions.

With the profusion of Shea butter shave soaps avalable today I do not need the level of moisturizing that I once did. These soaps have much more lubrication as well so my skin is in better shape after the shave.
I see a dermatologist on a regular basis (to much sun as a kid) and I always snag samples of products from her,some of these are light moisturizers with SPF sunscreen in them,one is called Purpose a Johnson and Johnson product.I have been using it for a while with very good results.This is what the website says:

PURPOSE® Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15
This water-based moisturizing formula filters both UVA and UVB rays and provides the SPF 15 protection recommended by dermatologists. It absorbs quickly and is a non-comedogenic product so it won't clog pores. Its light formula is ideal to use every day, even on sensitive skin.

I have never liked menthol/mint/camphor so the "cooling" effect is not in my equation for satisfaction with a product.

So is the days of traditional "after shave" over? Is this an after shave?

From traditionalists, a "true" aftershave is some form of alcohol-based splash.

However, the proliferation of milks, skin foods, balms, etc. indicates that some form of moisturizing product has been a part of the wetshaving experience for quite some time.

IMHO, a moisturizer with spf is not really an aftershave, but who cares - use whatever works.

Personally I use a splash and follow with a balm/moisturizer and would be very interested in trying this J&J product out, as I've always liked using a facial moisturizer with spf.

But to answer your question, I don't think the days of the traditional aftershave are anywhere near over.

rtaylor61 said:
Jim,

Have you purchased this product? Where? Based on your description, I think it would be a A/S Balm!

Randy

Randy
I have only grabbed some samples from the Dr's. office- the website shows it being sold at some of the big chain drug stores-

Hey Jim, do you find your face feeling oily, or shiny later in the day when you use this product? I have had this problem with SPF balms in the past.
Cheers, DJ.

Dinder1 said:
Hey Jim, do you find your face feeling oily, or shiny later in the day when you use this product? I have had this problem with SPF balms in the past.
Cheers, DJ.

DJ
I have dryish skin and this goes on with a white blush then it just sinks in,I apply then wipe up the sink and put a few things away then once in a while I will add a drop of skin food over it.So not oily at all- now or later.

I just took a look at drugstore.com its 8.99

I have been trying ,as most of us do, many different products after I shave -alcohol based to balms and lotions.

With the profusion of Shea butter shave soaps avalable today I do not need the level of moisturizing that I once did. These soaps have much more lubrication as well so my skin is in better shape after the shave.
I see a dermatologist on a regular basis (to much sun as a kid) and I always snag samples of products from her,some of these are light moisturizers with SPF sunscreen in them,one is called Purpose a Johnson and Johnson product.I have been using it for a while with very good results.This is what the website says:

PURPOSE® Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15
This water-based moisturizing formula filters both UVA and UVB rays and provides the SPF 15 protection recommended by dermatologists. It absorbs quickly and is a non-comedogenic product so it won't clog pores. Its light formula is ideal to use every day, even on sensitive skin.

I have never liked menthol/mint/camphor so the cooling effect is not in my equation for satisfaction with a product.

So are the days of traditional after shave over? Is this an after shave?

The conversation continues...

Last edited:
Top Bottom