What's new

B&B Le Grelot Review

My B&B Le Grelot arrived yesterday and I shaved with it this morning. I'll try to keep this brief as I'm sure everyone else will want to post their reviews too. :smile:

The pics are not very good as all I have at home right now is a crappy P&S.

The Razor

The razor arrived in the traditional T.I box with a very nice leather sheath.
proxy.php

This is one beautiful razor! :biggrin: The scales are perfectly finished with a nice satin sheen. The Pink Ivory is warm with subtle but interesting grain. It is not nearly as pink as it looks in the pics. It has more of a warm brown tone with a hint of pink.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The mirror polish on my blade is flawless. It is a true mirror polish without any hint of swirls or scratches. The entire blade has the same polish! I took this pic to show a reflection so that you can see what I mean.

proxy.php

The B&B mark appears to be laser etched and the stamping on the shank is clear and sharp. The size and font of the B&B mark is just right.

proxy.php

There is oil on the blade in this pic.
proxy.php

The overall fit and finish is really very nice. The pins are tight, the scales smooth, the edge bevel on the scales is very evenly done and comes to a crisp point on both ends. The only minor gripe I have is that the scales on mine don't quite line up at the pivot. One is high by a few millimeters. You can sort of see it in these pics but it is more obvious in person.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here is the blade edge as as it arrived.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Shave

This is a large, heavy, stiff blade. Just the way I like it!:biggrin: The razor has a great heft and balances very well in the hand. It is easy to maneuver around your face and gets into all the tight areas easily. The thumb notch on the bottom and the well executed file jimps on the top give a secure grip. I really like to feel of the razor in my hand. It has a "secure", easy to hold felling.

I had the razor pre-honed by Joel. As always I will say that I have a very, very tough beard and really need a very sharp razor. As it is the blade is sharp and smooth but not quite as sharp as my very sharp wedges. On the flats of my face it gave a nice smooth shave with no pulling or scraping at all. Near the very sensitive areas of my chin and lips there was a bit of pulling but once again no scraping at all. On my neck where I tend to get irritation from all but the very best of blades I am pleased to report a slick, smooth shave! I think 95% of gents here will be very happy with the smooth sharp edge as-is.

All in all I am very happy with this razor. I think it will rapidly become one of my favorites. I will put a bit sharper edge on it sometime next week but will shave with it as-is for several days first just to get a true feel for it.

Joel & Nick are to be congratulated for this very, very fine razor and for the tremendous amount of time and work they put in to make this happen. Thank you very much gentlemen.

Joe

I am in Southern California. They shipped from Northern California.

Now I am not that bright but I do seem to recall that Ohio is a bit farther away and the Netherlands quite far away and thus take just a tiny bit longer to ship to. :wink:

Joe

Note: none of the blades I honed should require more than a few strops on green chrome to get them dialed in perfectly. Some of the razors were ok outta the box - so those I took all the way up to a Shapton 30K or a Natural Japanese 50K - so they should range from being just about perfect - all the way up to "too sharp." If you get a razor that doesn't shave you smoothly and comfortably, drop me a line and we'll make it good.

Joel, you mentioned that you taped the spine while honing these. So we will need to tape the spine as well when using a pasted strop or hone. How many layers and what kind of tape did you use?

Thanks,
Joe

I was not going to comment on my razor till the rest of the guys had a chance to get theirs, I did not think it was "cricket" but this needs saying. Originally Joel told us that the Yellow was the hone being used so I naturally assumed that I would have to at least hit with the pastes. I did and went down to my usual 0.25 micron. I am one that likes silly sharp.

I just ....choke!!......choke!! had the 2nd most wonderful shave of my entire life and the first was yesterday with the same razor ----

The LE Grelot!
My Le Grelot!

I did not know if such a stiff blade would be what I wanted since my "go to razor" is the Dovo 6/8 Bismark. I am in heaven and any other razors that I buy will have to be measured against this one. Thanks you guys this is unbelievable!

If there is anyone that is not happy with their purchase I will be more than willing to buy yours.....at a profit! I have to have another one, got to, got to! Please contact me. I am not proud here, I am begging give me first chance at the purchase.

Thanks Nick, Joel and all the guys behind the scene that we will never know about. I am so frigging pleased that I only did a 2 pass shave this morning so that I can do another 2 pass shave tonight I love the feel of this blade.....................................................................:tongue_sm

Thanks,
Richard

I was not going to comment on my razor till the rest of the guys had a chance to get theirs, I did not think it was "cricket" but this needs saying. Originally Joel told us that the Yellow was the hone being used so I naturally assumed that I would have to at least hit with the pastes. I did and went down to my usual 0.25 micron. I am one that likes silly sharp.

I just ....choke!!......choke!! had the 2nd most wonderful shave of my entire life and the first was yesterday with the same razor ----

The LE Grelot!
My Le Grelot!

I did not know if such a stiff blade would be what I wanted since my "go to razor" is the Dovo 6/8 Bismark. I am in heaven and any other razors that I buy will have to be measured against this one. Thanks you guys this is unbelievable!

If there is anyone that is not happy with their purchase I will be more than willing to buy yours.....at a profit! I have to have another one, got to, got to! Please contact me. I am not proud here, I am begging give me first chance at the purchase.

Thanks Nick, Joel and all the guys behind the scene that we will never know about. I am so frigging pleased that I only did a 2 pass shave this morning so that I can do another 2 pass shave tonight I love the feel of this blade.....................................................................:tongue_sm

Thanks,
Richard

Why don't you just buy a "standard" Legrelot 1/4 grind for $175 before they too are all gone? It won't be quite as pretty, but will give the same awesome shaves!!

Why don't you just buy a "standard" Legrelot 1/4 grind for $175 before they too are all gone? It won't be quite as pretty, but will give the same awesome shaves!!

I may have to do that but I would really like a matching set, if that makes sense. Probably not, HUH?

Take care,
Richard

Joel, you mentioned that you taped the spine while honing these. So we will need to tape the spine as well when using a pasted strop or hone. How many layers and what kind of tape did you use?

Thanks,
Joe

Did he?, It would be nice to know if it is used or not, so we don't ruin the edge right away.. :)

These thing look fantastic! I've just ordered a shave-ready straight and strop, so I can see what all this straight fuss is really about!

I can't wait for my razor to arrive and I'm glad (in advance) that I took the option to have Joel hone up the razor! :w00t:

Guess I have to be patient for a while.

@Joel: mine needn't be honed: I'll take care of that.

Did you check your trackingnumber?, or did you not buy it yet?, it took some time to get the shippingcost into the shop, but after that, everything was fast.
I checked my usps trackingnumber, and things are going fast, but after leaving USA, I guess everythings go-slow.. will be interresting to see how it looks after the customs had an gander at it..

Top Bottom