What's new

DISCUSSION THREAD: Simpsons The Duke 2 Pure Badger

I have one of these. IMO it's a great brush, my Vulfix 2234 has been sitting gathering dust ever since I bought this one.

However, I'm a little disappointed with the quality. The label fell off the first time I shaved with it, ok not a big deal. But more worrying is that after about 4 weeks of use, mine has started shedding hairs at an alarming rate. It started off with maybe 1 hair coming loose per day, but the last few days it's been shedding approx 10 hairs each time I use it.

It's starting to detract from the shave now as I have to stop and fish hairs out of the lather on my face, pick them off the soap, clean them out of the sink etc.

Maybe I was unlucky with mine. I will say the dimensions are just perfect for me, and the brush is an absolute joy to use. The bristles are just the right stiffness and are soft without being floppy, perfect for lathering soaps on the face.

But more worrying is that after about 4 weeks of use, mine has started shedding hairs at an alarming rate. It started off with maybe 1 hair coming loose per day, but the last few days it's been shedding approx 10 hairs each time I use it.

I had the same issue with a Duke 3. Fortunately, I purchased the brush from Lee and had no problems getting an exchange.

I have one of these. IMO it's a great brush, my Vulfix 2234 has been sitting gathering dust ever since I bought this one.

However, I'm a little disappointed with the quality. The label fell off the first time I shaved with it, ok not a big deal. But more worrying is that after about 4 weeks of use, mine has started shedding hairs at an alarming rate. It started off with maybe 1 hair coming loose per day, but the last few days it's been shedding approx 10 hairs each time I use it.

It's starting to detract from the shave now as I have to stop and fish hairs out of the lather on my face, pick them off the soap, clean them out of the sink etc.

Maybe I was unlucky with mine. I will say the dimensions are just perfect for me, and the brush is an absolute joy to use. The bristles are just the right stiffness and are soft without being floppy, perfect for lathering soaps on the face.

The same thing happened to me with my Chubby 2 Super. :frown: I was concerned about getting any help since I'm the second owner having purchased it from someone at SMF. An email to Simpson's received a prompt reply asking me to send the brush back to them for replacement. So it goes in airmail today, so far this looks like superb customer service from Simpson's. :w00t:

The same thing happened to me with my Chubby 2 Super. :frown: I was concerned about getting any help since I'm the second owner having purchased it from someone at SMF. An email to Simpson's received a prompt reply asking me to send the brush back to them for replacement. So it goes in airmail today, so far this looks like superb customer service from Simpson's. :w00t:

Well, not so fast what follows is Simpsons reply:

"David Carter, who is away from the office this week, has asked me to e-mail you regarding the Chubby 2 Super Badger Shaving Brush returned by you, which we received on the 1st December.

This brush was purchased by you from a previous owner and in the opinion of Mr. Carter the hair is breaking off short because the brush has not been used according to the instructions enclosed with the brush when it was originally sold. The problems you have been experiencing are not caused by a fault in manufacture.

Accordingly, I am sorry that we are unable to send you a replacement free of charge.

I am returning the brush to you today by International Signed For Post, marked as a gift to avoid customs charges."

Funny this is not a manufacturing problem although I don't have the issue with any of my other brushes, including 2 other Simpsons.

I guess I'll go elsewhere for my future brush purchases.:mad: :mad:

Sorry to hear this about your Simpson, Pat.

Can they say what they believe the previous owner did? Would be interesting to hear - I suggest you ask!

Best of luck
Ivo

Ivo

I purchased the brush from a member of SMF (and here I believe), who had it for 5 months with no shedding issues. This information was forwarded to Simpsons. I had the brush for an additional 4 months before it started shedding.

For as much as they charge for a brush you'd think they'd do better standing behind it. I suspect the outcome would be different if I had purchased directly from Emily or Lee.

Well, not so fast what follows is Simpsons reply:

"David Carter, who is away from the office this week, has asked me to e-mail you regarding the Chubby 2 Super Badger Shaving Brush returned by you, which we received on the 1st December.

This brush was purchased by you from a previous owner and in the opinion of Mr. Carter the hair is breaking off short because the brush has not been used according to the instructions enclosed with the brush when it was originally sold. The problems you have been experiencing are not caused by a fault in manufacture.

Accordingly, I am sorry that we are unable to send you a replacement free of charge.

I am returning the brush to you today by International Signed For Post, marked as a gift to avoid customs charges."
Sounds like a sleezy load of BS to me. Quite frankly, I'm very surprised. No explanation? How much shipping are you out because of this?

Peter,

The explanation is there. They feel the hair is breaking off short, not shedding. Now, this thread is for the Discussion of the Duke 2 brush. Anything else should be taken elsewhere.l

Randy

The Dukes sound and look great, and I'm used to a stubby handle. I'd like to save money though, and go for the Duke 1 rather than the 2 (or indeed, the 3). Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on how the 2's better than the 1?

Hi, I wanted to mention when I took mine back to the shop they checked that the hairs were pulling out from the knot, rather than snapping off midway. They explained that hairs pulling out of the knot is considered a defect in workmanship (hence the brush will be exchanged), whereas hairs snapping off short isn't. I can see their point, and IMO it's fair.

Btw my replacement is going strong and hasn't shed any hairs since shave 1, very impressed. :smile:

I know this is old now but I have the same problem with a Duke 2 (pure) purchased in Jan. of this year (2010). The retailer refunded me because they were out of stock for an exchange. The hairs shedding are generally long and I think pulling from the knot but regardless, I havent experienced this with any of the other brushes I have owned. That includes a sub 20 dollar Delong that I have had for atleast 2 years now. It's not like I would use different brushes that much differently so, to my thinking, if the hairs are breaking, it's still a quality issue. Why wouldnt they break in the other brushes if it's the fault of the user in not using the brush properly? Just my opinion but with there being numerous reports of this issue with this brush, it seems logical to me that it's the brush, not the user. Again, just my opinion.
A shame because I really love this brush sans the shedding.

Top Bottom