What's new

Classic guns

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a Ruger Mark I .22 pistol that is a tack driver that was made sometime around 1979-80, and a Colt Mk IV Government Model 70 Series .45 that I purchased in 1982. No pictures though as I have not retrieved them from Kalifornia yet since moving recently to Texas, a more firearm friendly state. :thumbup1: I will add pictures when I get them.

Mike

Yes, Mike...please post pics. of the Ruger .22 (I have shot many of them but never owned one, sadly) and the 70 series.

When you get them back in the U.S.

And please forget the before the '80s and no longer in production thing...a classic is a classic, even if it's still in production (thank goodness). This is a Classic Guns thread. Even if it's a Red Ryder BB gun that's still in production. :001_smile

Kinda stuff like this also.

It's not old, but a classic style.
View attachment 663260

I love those. Mischief (you chose that name for a reason, didn't you?) the ones I have shot had the WWII forearm on it though.

Anyone have a Reising? I loved playing with those on full auto. Or an M-2? The M-2s are a ton of fun...just flick the lever.

When I was in southern Mexico, a bunch of times years ago, the guards at the money exchange places had M-2s...I looked for the fire selector lever. :001_smile

Here is one you won't see out in the wild. Colt could not tell us how many were made but they got pretty excited about this one popping up.

Colt Police Positive with a 2" barrel in 38 special (square butt). The year after this was made, Colt named the model the Detective Special. This one was ordered by and shipped directly to the Chief in Kansas City Mo. Factory Nickel finish. 1926 production. DS was "introduced" in 1927

proxy.php

proxy.php

An early Dic Special in 32 New Police cal, round butt variation. These were popular as the 32 cal round made for a smaller, more compact, and easier to conceal plain cloths carry revolver (back in the day when revolvers were the side arm of choice for law enforcement)

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is a current production Detective Special for comparison purposes only (not a classic yet)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Surprised nobody has mentioned the small ring 98 commercial sporters made by BRNO in the late 1940s to 1950s, the BRNO large ring 98 ZG47 commercial sporters and the 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine in 6.5x54 MS. All classic and classy long guns.

Bob

You mean like these?

1947 CZ Brno 21H in 8mm Mauser, double set triggers, spoon bolt, muzzle brake, barrel sling swivel, and QD scope rails. All factory. Was un-fired when we got it for inventory. this one didn't last a day in the shop. I'm kind of sorry that I did not keep as it was a real dream boat (had the straightest, tighest walnut stock I've ever seen) it but hey..... you can't keep em all and stay in business :sad:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And the Mannlicher–Schönauer model 1903 Carbine full stocked in 6.5 X 54 MS This one has its SN in the range of the first Greek contract so was made somewhere around 1905. The original production run had commercial rifles and carbines SN interspersed with the Greek contract military rifles

The Schönauer rotary magazine makes for a nice petite carbine (carbine has an 18" short barrel). The MS scope was added sometime around 1925 or so as it is modern optics with a post and horizon sight. You can sight under the scope and use the iron sights for close range or use the scope to reach out.

This was my first hunting rifle and one that I will never part with.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Inarguably the gun that revolutionized modern cartridge and firearm design.

Smith and Wesson's first venture-the volcanic repeating arms co.

The design was ultimately sold to oliver Winchester because the volcanic projectile (the first self-contained one), was unreliable.

Winchester took the repeating lever design, scaled it up (actually his employee, last name Henry, did the designing), and developed the metallic cartridge for it.

The basic design would evolve to win the West, and become one of the most popular family of weapons...ever.

This one carries a SN in the first 100. It was given to my late grandfather along with a box of ammunition, by an elderly member of his church (probably in the 30's/40's). She found it in her brother's attic after he died. It was his personal weapon, probably purchased new by him.

The attached tag tells the story, but also has names of the now deceased parties, so I left it.out.

Last edited:
You mean like these?

1947 CZ Brno 21H in 8mm Mauser, double set triggers, spoon bolt, muzzle brake, barrel sling swivel, and QD scope rails. All factory. Was un-fired when we got it for inventory. this one didn't last a day in the shop. I'm kind of sorry that I did not keep as it was a real dream boat (had the straightest, tighest walnut stock I've ever seen) it but hey..... you can't keep em all and stay in business :sad:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And the Mannlicher–Schönauer model 1903 Carbine full stocked in 6.5 X 54 MS This one has its SN in the range of the first Greek contract so was made somewhere around 1905. The original production run had commercial rifles and carbines SN interspersed with the Greek contract military rifles

The Schönauer rotary magazine makes for a nice petite carbine (carbine has an 18" short barrel). The MS scope was added sometime around 1925 or so as it is modern optics with a post and horizon sight. You can sight under the scope and use the iron sights for close range or use the scope to reach out.

This was my first hunting rifle and one that I will never part with.

proxy.php

Yes, I did mean those BRNO small ring 98s in full and half stock carbines and full and half stock rifles along with a variety of other different triggers, bolt handles, safeties and calibers. Mind you that is the first time I have seen a muzzle brake on one, interesting. Had a few in my pre divorce days and they were always a joy to shoot especially in 7X57. Think I may still have a Meopta scope in rail mount for those and the ZG47 I had too.

Never had a scope on my 1903 MS carbine in 6.5X54 MS just a dandy little Williams swing arm peep site to augment the factory sights. Had to have one of the smoothest bolt actions that I have used and feed like a dream from that rotary magazine. I had a later post WWII MS Half stocked rifle in 308 that was a disappointment when compared to the 1903 as far as build quality went.

Another rifle that I found interesting and a classic was the Ross Rifle. I had 2 different marks of the Ross military issue rifles in 303 and a Ross Sporter in 280 Ross. Quality built rifles with a fairly unique straight pull bolt action that was smooth and fast to work, just don't ever reassemble the bolt wrong after you stripped it down. The 280 Ross was slouch either even by modern standards.

Brings back nice memories too bad I didn't take any photos of them at the time. At least I got to use and enjoy them for a while.

Bob

How about a High Standard fest? Of course they are all 22 lr cal.

Model B

proxy.php

Model HB

proxy.php

Model GB

proxy.php

HD military 6" heavy barrel

proxy.php

HD military 4" heavy barrel

proxy.php

Model 103

proxy.php

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Presentation Colt New Service with a Gilbreath folder.

proxy.php

Smith Brazillian Contract 1917 45ACP with a folder from Joe Pardue.

proxy.php

Schmidt 357 SA

proxy.php

J. P. Sauer 45LC and a Washburn.

proxy.php

I find myself copycating the great firearms posted here. Good stuff y'all. Lovely knives jar_.

The Colt New Service is my favorite Colt revolver of all times.

Love Mannlicher–Schönauer rifles and would love to have an example.

Only one ol' lonely Colt Single Action Army lives here. A shabby 1st generation .38-40.

The New Service in its Model 1917 guise. This old wheezer's the Colt revolver I've fired the most. A good, sturdy handgun.

A High Standard Supermatic Trophy

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh that's some nice stuff. I've heard that the High Standards were great target autos, although I've never shot one. I do have Granddad's old High Standard Double Nine that I used to shoot when I was about 7-8 years old. We'd go driving around the country roads by his farm until we saw a rabbit for the pot. I nailed one at about 30 yards away and did a head shot...pure luck but Granddad came back just glowing to Mom and Dad about the shot I made. :lol: I'll have to get it out and run some rounds through it again.

A short review on the tube that a guy did about the Double Nine. I'll take some pics. of Grandad's tomorrow, although it doesn't have the reputation of the Supermatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1TVHn0X_Ro

That 1917 is very much a classic...that style of cylinder release is a defining character. Sturdy is an understatement.

Your 1st Gen. 38-40 looks good; I've never shot that round though but have heard it's about equivalent to today's .40 S&W round. With the cylinder pin release, yours must be a post 165,XXX serial number made after 1896. My .45 is a black powder frame one with a serial number in the 155,XXX range with the cylinder pin screw. Do you have the factory letter for it? My letter says the one I have was shipped in March, I think, in 1894 to the common Simmon's Hardware store. Mine still shoots pretty good with black powder reloads, and I bet yours does also.

I'm not generally too keen on the Ruger guns, however I would enjoy owning a No. 1 in any of several calibers and configurations. Maybe one will be along shortly here.

Good eye, Mike. The Colt SAA .38-40 was shipped in 1905 according to its factory letter which also states that it was shipped to Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett Company, Chicago which is common as Simmon's Hardware. It does do well with black powder handloads, at least for a couple cylinders-full, but then it begins to foul and become sticky in operation. The black powder loads fling a 172 grain Lyman cast bullet to 900 fps or a little better. I confess to having had the revolver since back when I was young and foolish and willing to play Elmer Keith and hot-rod things a bit. It was shot over the chronograph with loads that gave 180 grain jacketed bullets nearly 1300 fps, equaling 10mm. It's retired from such shenanigans now. Hey, they were published loads in older manuals.

It's fun to use the classic guns. I've always made use of them. The ratty Colt Model 1917 has been around here even a bit longer than the Single Action Army. Both have been on hand for 35 years or more. The Model 1917 shoots very well. I used to have an equally ratty Smith & Wesson Model 1917 to go with it and both saw a good deal of shooting and traipsing holstered on trips afield. I'll still holster up the Colt M1917 for hiking on our old place on occasion, but traded away the worn Smith & Wesson M1917 quite a while back in favor of a really nice one. Only problem is, it's too nice to actually use and carry. It only sees careful range use on occasion. The .45 ACP revolvers are excellent handguns.

Here's the old Colt again with its World War I army buddy, Smith & Wesson.

Mike, you began one of the best firearms threads in forum-land with your classic firearms topic. It's entertaining to see all the good guns being posted. Guns can be a lot more fun than only the modern, tacti-cool models that are to be taken seriously all the time. Besides which, many classic firearms are still just as serviceable.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You're right RoRo...not a No. 1 has been posted yet.

David...nice one. Glad you posted one you used as a kid. :lol: Just kidding, as I'm sure you know. Nice...I don't have anything even approaching that. Very nice.

Speaking of being a kid...here's Granddad's old Double Nine, along with some black replacement grips I bought for it in case I used it a bit...the originals on it are chipped a bit and I wanted to preserve them. And there is also his old Brauer Brothers holster.

I know, it isn't a what comes to mind when you say Classic...but it's Vintage and means something to me.

As far as a classic Classic...another Belgium Browning Humpback is coming tomorrow. For now though the old High Standard will have to do.

$IMG_0012.jpg

$IMG_0005.jpg

$IMG_0007.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It's fun to use the classic guns.

I'll still holster up the Colt M1917 for hiking on our old place on occasion, but traded away the worn Smith & Wesson M1917 quite a while back in favor of a really nice one. Only problem is, it's too nice to actually use and carry. It only sees careful range use on occasion.

Here's the old Colt again with its World War I army buddy, Smith & Wesson.

It's entertaining to see all the good guns being posted. Guns can be a lot more fun than only the modern, tacti-cool models that are to be taken seriously all the time. Besides which, many classic firearms are still just as serviceable.

The two 1917s...the Colt and the Smith. Excellent.

Yup, they are fun and....

I really don't get ones that are real nice, because I'd shove about 1,000 pounds of lead down their throat. That's not good for a collector's piece. All of my guns are working guns.

This HAS turned out to be a great thread...a lot of fantastic stuff has been posted here.

I'm now waiting on more. :001_smile

Ok. I'm late for bed but here's one more for the evening.

How about an old Army .38 revolver, in this case the Colt Model 1901, a military contract variant of the Colt New Army.

Roundly criticized for its poor performance against the Moros during the period of the Philippine Insurrection, I'd still rather have a .38 Long Colt produced to specifications than any .380 ACP load ever produced. It has been said that the military contract ammunition for these revolvers was substandard, not up to standard ballistic performance. The .38 Long Colt is no powerhouse but it ain't that far under the standard velocity .38 Special.

The .38 Long Colt was barely adequate but the revolver design was dreadful in my view.

The Colt New Army and New Navy models were the same revolver only the New Navy will have different standard hard rubber stocks from the style of hard rubber stocks seen on the New Army and an "N" stamped on the inside of the front of the frame of the New Navy, visible only when the crane is open. No other differences may be detected. Of course the Army contract model New Army revolvers were equipped with smooth walnut stocks per contract. The Colt New Navy, introduced in 1889, was the first double-action revolver with swing-out cylinder to hit the market and achieve a degree of success and popularity. An 1889 U. S. Navy contract for revolvers chambered for the .38 Long Colt, followed by Army contracts over the next few years boosted its commercial popularity.

Frankly, This Isn't the Greatest Design Colt Ever Fielded

They may appear surprisingly modern, but the lock work of these late 19th century designed Colt swing-out cylinder models is absolutely fiendish! Also, despite the obviously fine workmanship and fitting, the design must be one of the worst to have ever been fielded. I can't imagine that the U.S. Military of the late 1880s actually selected this turkey of a design as its issue handgun. Flimsy in the extreme, every one of these revolvers seen will have a loosy-goosy cylinder that displays dodgy lock-up. Every internal part performs multiple roles. One would think that this feature would cut down on the number of internal parts but nope, there are plenty of parts in there and some are strange looking indeed. It is completely powered by flat springs which perform multiple functions as well. And these can't be simply adequate springs. They have to be able to double as leaf springs for the rear suspension of a '54 GMC flat bed truck! The action is terribly stiff, unnecessarily so in my view. The first generation Smith & Wesson K-Frame Model of 1899 is also powered by flat springs including trigger return, but gives an action feel so light, smooth, and so positive that the later Smith & Wessons pale by comparison. This model Colt is a clunker by comparison.

The Colt New Navy has a couple of redeeming qualities despite its undeniably primitive design however the trigger isn't one of them. Its single action trigger, crisp if somewhat heavy, may be easily mastered once one becomes familiar with it. The double action trigger gives an extremely poor pull. Finger-straining heavy, one gets the feeling that something inside the revolver will break before the hammer finally drops. The revolver would best be employed double action at powder-burning point blank range only.

The revolver points well and almost seems to steer itself onto target. It is well balanced and the grip frame, with factory panels, fit my hand very well. Recoil is very controllable and shooting the revolver in single-action mode gives a gratifying sensation. The double-action trigger experience is abysmal.

Here are a couple of commercial examples. The gun could be had commercially chambered for the .38 Long Colt. It also was chambered for the .41 Long Colt and a very few were produced in the .32-20.

Here's a 1901 vintage 4 1/2-inch in .41 Long Colt ( a special favorite obsolete cartridge of mine).

Here's a poor example from 1906-1907 chambered for .32-20. Scarce gun but in wretched condition. I'm trying to rehab it to improve it mechanically. Not there yet.

"(Gibson's are no longer in production either)"

I was under this impression as well, but just found out there are two left. I purchased .22 ammo in the Kerrville, Texas Gibsons less than two weeks ago. Just put it away today and was amused to see the old-fashioned Gibson's Discount Center price tag stuck on the box ends. Wasn't so amused at the price indicated: $5.69 for a box of 50 CCI standard velocity Long Rifles. Oh well. Needed them for the High Standard pistol and a Winchester Model 1890 rifle kept around here. The odd older factory ammo box now full of reloads may still be seen in the ammo lockers with the same style Gibson's price stickers on them for I traded at the Gibson's in Cleburne, Texas for many years. The one in Kerrville had the same feel as the one did in Cleburne when it closed in about 1980. Only the Kerrville location had a huge selection of merchandise. Was better stuff than one may find in the average Wal Mart Supercenter too.

http://www.gibsonsdiscount.com/

http://www.gibsonsace.com/
This one doesn't appear quite as "original" on the web site as the one in Kerrville does when visited in person.

Top Bottom