What's new

Street Art any one?

I'm not talking about quick ugly gang signs. I'm talking about Murals, Well planned Graffiti, Stencils.

Not a huge fan of Banksy but he seems to have inspired and brought recognition to the genre

Right now I am really liking MadC's work
proxy.php

Another reason to admire the artist :001_rolle
proxy.php

Then there is Michael Hussar

proxy.php

Here is a video of him working

[video=vimeo;69944199]https://vimeo.com/69944199[/video]

Anyone else with favorites?

Last edited:
I like Banksy both for his pieces and the recognition he's brought to the art.
I like Baer as well.
As for any other crews/artists, I cannot appreciate it enough if I don't see the pieces from up close.
There is a crew here in Athens that paints over schools and they are doing awesome work. Unfortunately I don't know their name. I was passing by the other day and I was dumbfounded. If I pass by there again I'll snatch some pics.

I've always enjoyed street art as long as it is better than what is already there. I mean say if someone tried to tag Westminster Abbey, Roslyn Chapel, the Pantheon or Fenway Park, then they are ruining something culturally important. However, done in the right environment, street art is definitely art, and culturally significant art in some cases no matter what purists say.

I am often blown away by the creativity of street artists, but I can't get caught up in many of the movements and cultures involved with the art. I guess that makes me a casual admirer of their talents.

Banksy has to be appreciated, if not it would be sort of like enjoying modern popular music without appreciating the Beatles, Elvis, or George Strait. Banksy has made people take notice of street art, and when people take notice of something then they have a good think about it, to me people thinking about what they have seen or heard is what art is about.

So yes, I like Banksy, Os Gemeos are interesting, but Invader always caught my attention too, and I like his work very much except when he tried to do it on the iconic Hollywood sign.

One regret I have is not seeing 5Pointz. That would have been something to see I think.

Os Gemeos, and Invader rank up there for me. Interesting you should bring up the Hollywood sign. IMO it is an eyesore but an accepted Icon I guess. Fully agree with you otherwise.

I got interested in the art form in the 80's when Keith Haring was getting a lot of news coverage for his subway work, then AIDS activism. Not to fond of his more risque paintings but his public murals are very thought provoking.

I was talking to one of my students yesterday. I was helping her with her with a design. I am doing a beginning of the year activity where they create their own tag following and applying simple graffiti making instructions. She told me, instead of hovering over the kids bothering them I should maybe make my own tag. It occurred to me that I had not spray painted anything since 9/11. I created a peace mural at the school I was teaching at. It was not very popular due to the revenge mindset at the time. The principal made me take it down. The little girl's response was: "Well, go do one, that's what you tell us." That's what I'm doing.

Feels good.

Valapraiso, Chile was full of street art.

The first one was by INTI. The others I don't have a credit for:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom