What's new

Essor

Seriously, no case and not in the best shape. I guess I've entered yet another hobby that I can never attain some of the nicer and desireable items. Bummer. But I sure like shaving with my $6 47' Superspeed!:tongue_sm

While it is rather different and kind of cool, I don't see it mentioned on here...well... basically ever so I don't think that a lot of people are going to jump right in and empty their bank accounts. You know that there are people who have more money than smarts...so anything is possible.:blink:

Nah, he came here and then went across the street asking what it was worht after it was purchased for $35.

Well, that is his perogative... If guys here don't want to assist profiteering, don't tell guys who turn up here with no posts and something rare what things are worth.

I don't recall a value being given. They just don't come up often enough to know what they'll bring. But I don't think there would be anything wrong with supplying one if that information was available.
An identification was given.
Sure, I could have said nothing and allowed him to think it was an early Gibbs. He could have auctioned it that way and perhaps somebody could have purchased it for a lot less. Heck, if I had run across an auction like that on eBay, I wouldn't have said anything.
But he came here and asked what it was. What are we to say? "Go away, you don't deserve fair market value for your razor"?

Last edited:
I’ve never seen one before this one showed it’s self and it is rather unique looking. I can see how it could attract the right buyer.

I don't recall a value being given. They just don't come up often enough to know what they'll bring. But I don't think there would be anything wrong with supplying one if that information was available.
Sure, I could have said nothing and allowed him to think it was an early Gibbs. He could have auctioned it that way and perhaps somebody could have purchased it for a lot less. Heck, if I had run across an auction like that on eBay, I wouldn't have said anything.
But he came here and asked what it was. What are we to say? "Go away, you don't deserve fair market value for your razor"?

Am I missing something? He was asking its value on the forums here?

That wasn't even directed at you about this one in particular, it is about any valuable razor where someone with no posts turns up and the intent is fairly obvious as to what and why they want to know. I would have no issue with it aside from the fact that this particular part of the forum has been so overrun lately with people complaining about ebay prices. It's getting old. We should have an ebay subforum at this point and leave this one for things people actually have in hand or are thinking of trying to acquire.

I've been watching that auction with great curiosity. I didn't figger i'd be able to afford it, but I'm still surprised how high it went. Mostly I was just waiting for it to end so I could ask about it here.

So you got it Amishbotormoat? Awesome! That means we'll get to see lots of pics and hear all about it. Right?

btw, I'm the crazy person that purchased it. :001_smile

Gentlemen & Ladies,

I'm the so called "profiteer" that has all totaled 24 posts to his name on this forum and sold this razor to Amishmotorboat. In my original post on this forum regarding this razor I did not come here with no posts asking its value. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=191758 I did however ask advice on the best way to sell it and was given some good advice regarding how to do that. Knowing a little bit about how ebay works I decided to put it on ebay with a high reserve so that I could find out it's value and then offer it to the final highest bidder. That's what happens in real face to face auctions and I don't consider them to be immoral as I do consider a profiteer to be. You see a profiteer is someone who charges exorbitant profits on items of essential need to people who can ill afford to procure the item anywhere else. I hardly think a razor falls into that category. Regardless of what I may have paid for it, so long as I didn't cheat the seller and I didn't, the item has a fair market value and in a free market system like we all defend in the USA I deserve to try to sell it for that amount. I'm new to this hobby and I enjoy this forum, but I am a member of others because they also have like minded collectors who are interesting people to interact with. I use this forum and the others I am a member of to expand my knowledge of everything to do with wet shaving. You guys and gals posess a wealth of information and I am just learning. Don't fault me for doing what Americans (I am one) do better than anyone else on the planet, buying and selling. Hope to hear from some of you.

Again, this was not directed at you either..... Profiteering was a poor choice of wording on my part to describe the phenomenon. There are literally ppl on here posting things in the forum lately with no post counts whatsoever just looking for values so they can flip them on ebay. I honestly have no problem whatsoever with that sort of thing especially in these times if you can make extra cash and are a regular joe. My issue is with the moaning about it on the part of seemingly everyone lately whenever anything sells for a good chunk of change on ebay. More than anything I was replying to the guy saying that you sold it for whatever you sold it for after paying $35 as if that is somehow unethical.. If I bought a piece of art at a yard sale for $15 and found out it was worth $10000, I'm not going to ask for $35 for it on ebay... It's people's own business what they sell their property for regardless of what they paid, the market sets the value.

Gentlemen & Ladies,

I'm the so called "profiteer" that has all totaled 24 posts to his name on this forum and sold this razor to Amishmotorboat. In my original post on this forum regarding this razor I did not come here with no posts asking its value. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=191758 I did however ask advice on the best way to sell it and was given some good advice regarding how to do that. Knowing a little bit about how ebay works I decided to put it on ebay with a high reserve so that I could find out it's value and then offer it to the final highest bidder. That's what happens in real face to face auctions and I don't consider them to be immoral as I do consider a profiteer to be. You see a profiteer is someone who charges exorbitant profits on items of essential need to people who can ill afford to procure the item anywhere else. I hardly think a razor falls into that category. Regardless of what I may have paid for it, so long as I didn't cheat the seller and I didn't, the item has a fair market value and in a free market system like we all defend in the USA I deserve to try to sell it for that amount. I'm new to this hobby and I enjoy this forum, but I am a member of others because they also have like minded collectors who are interesting people to interact with. I use this forum and the others I am a member of to expand my knowledge of everything to do with wet shaving. You guys and gals posess a wealth of information and I am just learning. Don't fault me for doing what Americans (I am one) do better than anyone else on the planet, buying and selling. Hope to hear from some of you.

Again, this was not directed at you either..... Profiteering was a poor choice of wording on my part to describe the phenomenon. There are literally ppl on here posting things in the forum lately with no post counts whatsoever just looking for values so they can flip them on ebay. I honestly have no problem whatsoever with that sort of thing especially in these times if you can make extra cash and are a regular joe. My issue is with the moaning about it on the part of seemingly everyone lately whenever anything sells for a good chunk of change on ebay. More than anything I was replying to the guy saying that you sold it for whatever you sold it for after paying $35 as if that is somehow unethical.. If I bought a piece of art at a yard sale for $15 and found out it was worth $10000, I'm not going to ask for $35 for it on ebay... It's people's own business what they sell their property for regardless of what they paid, the market sets the value.

I appreciate your explanation. I feel the same as you regarding honest profit.

Top Bottom