What's new

towel technique

I've always been a post shower shaver, but I'm not getting the results I think I could be getting. I'm wanting to try the towel technique, but I just can't see myself standing at the sink staring at the ceiling for 2-3 minutes with a towel draped across my face (and possibly dripping down my neck and into my ears). Surely, this is not the best way?

What do you guys do?

Orest

Hey Orest,
I dont use the towel technique and I dont feel my shaves suffer at all. Shower and when you finish, DONT dry your face. Leave it wet for the few minutes it takes to lather up and you should do fine. Keep the lather warm for the whole shave ...this is key!!
Good luck.

I get in the shower and wet my face right off the bat, then rewet it ever couple minutes throughout the shower, if my face hasn't been soaked enough after a 10 minute shower I don't think wet towels will help!

Orest,

I am a huge fan of the towel technique. Here's what I do. I warm up the towel in the sink. Whip up some lather. Slather it on. Then wrap the towel on the face over the lather. I lean my back against the wall and veg out. The leaning helps to alleviate the craned neck you get from standing there trying to balance a towel on your head. I shoot for a min. 3 minutes. This one step in my prep has made a major positive impact in my shaves.

Tito said:
Orest,

I am a huge fan of the towel technique. Here's what I do. I warm up the towel in the sink. Whip up some lather. Slather it on. Then wrap the towel on the face over the lather. I lean my back against the wall and veg out. The leaning helps to alleviate the craned neck you get from standing there trying to balance a towel on your head. I shoot for a min. 3 minutes. This one step in my prep has made a major positive impact in my shaves.

This is quite interesting.

Have you ever fallen back asleep while leaning against the wall?

TraderJoe said:
This is quite interesting.

Have you ever fallen back asleep while leaning against the wall?

Good question! I was wondering that myself. Seems like a chair tipped back against the wall would be more comfortable, or a stool......:sleep1:

Orest

Tito said:
Orest,

I assume you re-lather after the 3 min. Also, how do you keep the water and lather from dripping all over?

My ADD doesn't let me relax enough to fall asleep. I got my mind on other important stuff. But I do realize it's a moment that I should appreciate. I tried sitting on the throne but I still had to crane my neck up. So then I shouldered the wall and well I was beginning to feel like I was on to something. So the next time I just backed enought to the wall to kinda fall back and then relax.
I don't think the towel is supposed to be soaked just kinda moist and warm. Yeah I have to relather but that's no biggie. I realize that this may seem really weird to you folks but that's what works for me. Now I really wonder how many people are going to be leaning up against their wall tomorrow morning?

kozulich said:
Good question! I was wondering that myself. Seems like a chair tipped back against the wall would be more comfortable, or a stool......:sleep1:

Orest

You could just lay down for a few minutes ..............:w00t:

I never thought about doing the towel but it sounds interesting. Heck I'm game, I'll try just about anything for a good shave.

Also try either spreading some hair conditioner on your beard while in the shower (if you shower before shaving), or using something like Proraso Pre-Post. I use Jason Thin-to-Thick conditioner and I find it makes all the difference. One other thing to keep in mind is to rinse your face with warm water between passes. I read a write-up about a Florida barber (http://www.broadway-joes.com/write-ups.htm ) who gives straight shaves using up to ten hot towels per shave. He also starts out by slathering Noxema on the guy's face (I suppose it's like Proraso).

~Tim :cool:

Both ways are good.
Really i could see the shower being the best way for a guy to prep his beard before shaving at home.
Or you could soak the towel in some tea oil (or oil of your choice) and microwave those boys for a minute or two to get some real heat.

I use three hot towels when shaving clients and two cold at the end.

I already mentioned this in a separate thread but I always use the towel technique while sitting back and relaxing for a few minutes on a comfy chair in my bathroom. You don't need an awful lot of space for that, just somewhere against the wall is already sufficient as long as you can put back your head just a little. It's very comforting and the feeling of the hot towel on my face while closing my eyes is something I really enjoy.

Ashe said:
It's very comforting and the feeling of the hot towel on my face while closing my eyes is something I really enjoy.

I know that would make me a little *too* comfortable to remain active early in the morning, or worse, inspire me to go back to bed! :eek:

Top Bottom