What's new

Philadelphia, PA

V

Vincedia

Black Cat Cigar Co.
1518 Sansom Street, Philadelphia
Phone: 215-563-9850 800-220-9850
http://www.blackcatcigars.com

They sell Taylor's shaving and mens grooming.
Seems a little expensive, but taking out shipping and wait time and it's about equal to what is online.

Very small shop but a great selection, parking is near impossible!

G

gone down south

Sorry to have to report that the Center City location of Black Cat Cigars closed last week. I believe that they've consolidated all their stock at their suburban location :mad:

It's too bad, they were one of the very few places in the city where you could buy real shave soaps and brushes.

Too bad. Always intended to get there but I guess I never will, for either wet shaving or fountain pens.

Where's their suburban location? Probably the other side of the city from me.

Black Cat Cigar Co.

Seems a little expensive, but taking out shipping and wait time and it's about equal to what is online.

UPDATE:
They are no longer in center city.
moved to:
46 W. Germantown Pike
Norristown, PA 19401
484-231-8715

oops, i didn't see the posts, my response got linked up from somewhere else:blushing:

well, has anyone been to the suburban location?

also, where are other places to get supplies other then the malls?

I know of Essene's for speick and 2 b groomed for T&H...
anywhere else?

G

gone down south

oops, i didn't see the posts, my response got linked up from somewhere else:blushing:

well, has anyone been to the suburban location?

also, where are other places to get supplies other then the malls?

I know of Essene's for speick and 2 b groomed for T&H...
anywhere else?

It looks like someone merged the 2 threads :cool:

Black Cat Cigar Co.

I walked past this store front the other day and from the looks of it (and the fixtures for sale sign), I believe it is now closed.

Note: I see Goin Down South saw and posted this already.

Last edited:
If you are having a hard time finding good shaving products in the Philly area (such as finding anything other than AV or Brut in your local CVS, Rite-Aid or Walgreens), it would be good to share with others where you find things beyond the basics.

Over the weekend, I stopped in the Baederwood Pharmacy in Jenkintown (located on The Fairway off of 611, next to Whole Foods). Baederwood is a local drug store, and I found that they had a good selection of Pinaud products, including Clubman, Lilac Vegetal and Classic Vanilla ASL's They also had various talcs, tonics and gels.

I'm going to be downtown by the convention center for a couple of days. Any local shops I should visit?

Philadelphia is pretty barren for shave gear, especially since Black Cat Cigars moved out to the suburbs. The one place that MAY have some stuff (and I have not checked), is Boyds (on Chestnut between 18th and 19th), which may be the best clothier in the city. They carry all sorts of accessories, and may have fine toiletries as well. I've never seen mention of it before, but they may.

If you're at the Convention Center, do get lunch at Reading Terminal Market. DiNic's roast pork sandwich is classic, Salumeria makes great hoagies, and the Amish places have great comfort food.

bump, anybody know of any small pharmacies that may carry shaving supplies? There has to be somewhere in this City that has something.

I can appreciate the availability of local shave gear a great deal, but there is really very little competition to the online vendor. Unless you need it right now and can't wait 2-5 days then save your $ and buy from our great online vendors. I went to the Black Cat Cigar site and see that TOBS is $17.95. With tax that is $19.03. I just ordered one tub of TOBS from WCS and the SHIPPED cost to me was under $17. That's from California to Philadelphia. No comparison.

bump, anybody know of any small pharmacies that may carry shaving supplies? There has to be somewhere in this City that has something.

CVS (at least the one by me (south and 2nd) carries Gillette, Wilkinson blades.
Also, Essene Market (4th and Bainbridge) carries Spick shaving stuff, and is just as cheap as anywhere online. 2B groomed, on 11th, sells T&H.

I have found Proraso and Omega, in the Italian market. you just have to find the right store at the right time though.

Im wondering if there is anywhere within a 40 mile radius of philly to purchase DE razors. Im specifically looking for a Edwin Jager 89l razor or a Merkur 34.

Top Bottom