What's new

Zwilling DE Razor Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, I spotted an interesting razor on eBay from a Romanian seller. The seller was asking what I considered to be a high buy-it-now price, but he was also accepting offers. I offered him half of his BIN price and he accepted. Unfortunately, he was out of the country until a couple of weeks ago, so we completed the transaction at the end of August. I received the razor yesterday and I'm quite excited with it. I haven't cleaned it up yet (or shaved with it), but I wanted to share it with all of you. I've not been able to find much information on this razor, so if anyone can clue me in, I'd appreciate it.

The Case. Nice, solid, heavily-chromed, and in very clean condition.

proxy.php

Inside. Neither the seller or I had the name correct. It looked to me like "Knilling", but after my wife saw it, she immediately knew it was "Zwilling" (it helps that she's a native German speaker!).

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

By the way, "Scharf" and "Stumpf" on the blade cases mean Sharp and Dull in German!

proxy.php

proxy.php

There are no identifying marks on the razor head, but on the bottom of the handle are two of the Zwilling "Twins" logos, the letters "D.R.G.M" and the number 737832. My friend Google tells me that DRGM stands for "Deutsches Reichsgebrauchmuster", which is a German design registration system similar to (but not exactly the same as) patents. The number 787832 looks like it was issued in the late 'teens, probably 1918-1920.

Needless to say, I look forward to cleaning it up a little, loading a blade, and taking it for a spin!

As much as I love Gillette razors and the history behind them. I think I might love obscure sets like these just as much. I'd love to know more about Zwilling history.

Mmmm, just hit the razor up with a little bit of MAAS metal polish. Except for a little brassing on the top of the cap, it looks like it just rolled out of the factory in Solingen!

As much as I love Gillette razors and the history behind them. I think I might love obscure sets like these just as much. I'd love to know more about Zwilling history.

ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS brand begins on June 13, 1731under the Gemini star sign, knife-maker Peter Henckels of Solingen registered TWIN symbol his trademark with the Cutlers´ Guild of Solingen. This symbol, is one of the oldest trademarks in the world.

Thename ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS was given to the Company by Johann Abraham Henckels. The company had a store located on 5th Ave, NYC in the early 1900's.

These are very rare, they go for alot of money. Ebay has 1 for 600 plus bucks
proxy.php

Yeah, I saw that one. The question is would anyone actually pay $600 for that? I can post a *** Super Speed for $500 but I doubt I'd get many takers! :001_unsur

Yeah, I saw that one. The question is would anyone actually pay $600 for that? I can post a *** Super Speed for $500 but I doubt I'd get many takers! :001_unsur

Larry, some collector may pay that. It depends on who sees it and if it is wroth to them personally.

That seller is accepting offers...so far, five people made offers but they've all been declined. I wonder how much they offered?

I loaded up the Zwilling this morning with a Shark Super Chrome blade (3rd shave) and lathered with a La Toja shave stick. I assumed this would be the equivalent to a Gillette Old Type in performance, since it's an obvious copy. I got a very, very, close shave...but maybe too aggressive for me. I regularly use Gillette Old Types and I found this copy to be quite a bit rougher...I even got a couple of weepers, which are almost never a problem for me. I think this is going to stay in the collection, but I doubt that it will be part of my regular rotation.

A few months ago, I spotted an interesting razor on eBay from a Romanian seller. The seller was asking what I considered to be a high buy-it-now price, but he was also accepting offers. I offered him half of his BIN price and he accepted. Unfortunately, he was out of the country until a couple of weeks ago, so we completed the transaction at the end of August. I received the razor yesterday and I'm quite excited with it. I haven't cleaned it up yet (or shaved with it), but I wanted to share it with all of you. I've not been able to find much information on this razor, so if anyone can clue me in, I'd appreciate it.

The Case. Nice, solid, heavily-chromed, and in very clean condition.

proxy.php

Inside. Neither the seller or I had the name correct. It looked to me like "Knilling", but after my wife saw it, she immediately knew it was "Zwilling" (it helps that she's a native German speaker!).

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

By the way, "Scharf" and "Stumpf" on the blade cases mean Sharp and Dull in German!

proxy.php

proxy.php

There are no identifying marks on the razor head, but on the bottom of the handle are two of the Zwilling "Twins" logos, the letters "D.R.G.M" and the number 737832. My friend Google tells me that DRGM stands for "Deutsches Reichsgebrauchmuster", which is a German design registration system similar to (but not exactly the same as) patents. The number 787832 looks like it was issued in the late 'teens, probably 1918-1920.

Needless to say, I look forward to cleaning it up a little, loading a blade, and taking it for a spin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom