What's new

Zoom!

Hello everyone, I just got a 100-300 zoom lens for my Canon. I'm new to this zoom thing, so took some inaugural photos. I welcome any feedback and tips. Thanks for looking!

Steve G
$ZoomPumpkin2.jpg

$ZoomEllaReflective.jpg

$ZoomFlowers-Chair.jpg

$ZoomRedLeaves.jpg

$ZoomRottingPumpkin.jpg

Not bad at all.

Of the two pumpkin shot I like the last one best. The short depth of field brings the foreground into focus.
This also apply for the shot of the girl.

The leaves shot looks like it is slightly out of focus or the camera moved during the shot.
Moving objects can sometimes be a challenge for autofocus, and in my experience moving branches can be a real pain, so I mostly focus manually and may take several shots.
If it is camera movement due to long shutter speed, a general rule say that your shutter speed should be the same as the focal length, e.g. at 300 mm you need around 1/300 sec. or faster.
Lovely colours though and a very nice out of focus background.

For a first that it not bad at all, well done.

Søren has pretty much nailed things. Long lenses bring their own difficulties (limited depth of field, focus problems, faster required shutter speeds etc) whilst providing some reach to bring a subject in closer. In your two pumpkin frames, I would have expected the pumpkin to have been sharp, but your point of focus appears to be the twigs in the lower right of frame (not sure if that was the intent).

All-in-all, not a bad first effort... and like so many things, you will get better the more often you pick up your camera.

I like the photo of your daughter. You should get lots of good portraits like that with the subject in focus and the background blurred at the 100mm end of the lens.

Top Bottom