What's new

Zinc Merkurs?

If we are talking about late vintage Merkurs, you are right. Fyi, heads of early vintage ones were made of brass instead of zamac.

That may be true of the opened comb Merkurs but I've never seem or heard of any safety bar Merkurs with cast heads made from brass.

That may be true of the opened comb Merkurs but I've never seem or heard of any safety bar Merkurs with cast heads made from brass.

Actually, you restored one of these, Bob. Well, I guess yellowness is not a characteristic of zamac.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Actually, you restored one of these, Bob. Well, I guess yellowness is not a characteristic of zamac.

I would guess that the yellowness in those pictures is the nickel/copper plating underneath the chrome? I've seen in several places that to properly plate zamac, one needs to first plate it in copper, then nickel, then chrome.

I would guess that the yellowness in those pictures is the nickel/copper plating underneath the chrome? I've seen in several places that to properly plate zamac, one needs to first plate it in copper, then nickel, then chrome.

Well, if you want to think that I have no word for you. Besides I have a vintage Merkur with zamac head which means I know the difference, sir.

Except for the higher-end stainless razors, is there any currently manufactured razor whose heads are not made from zamac or a similar cast, soft alloy? Is anyone now making razors from brass, for instance?

Except for the higher-end stainless razors, is there any currently manufactured razor whose heads are not made from zamac or a similar cast, soft alloy? Is anyone now making razors from brass, for instance?

Parker use brass. If you get a good one, they are nice razors.

Fa Tip OC razors from Italy say on the box they come in that they are all brass. Muhle used the OC Fa Tip head on its OC offering around 2008. That was replaced by their OC 2009 R41, which is a rather mild shaver (and I do not believe its cap or guard are brass). The current iteration of their toothbar R41 is likely cast.

The only modern DE razor I know of with a brass guard and cap, other than some Parker models, is the Italian Fa Tip OC.

If someone knows of others, please say.

I chased around the web searching for a Fa Tip or Fatip website with no success. Do you know if the company exists and has razors for sale?

Top Bottom